MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #9931
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Love to see it. Glad this thread still pops up!
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #9932
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Flipping through old photos recently. Although my OG PBC has moved on I still recommend PBC as a first cooker and to those who want great food with no fuss. I was cleaning her up to paint. Original powder coat had to repaint occasionally.
Sold quickly

Last edited by 16Adams; 10-21-2020 at 07:06 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #9933
Fat Jim
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jim

After having a Siezure and going down the steps of my deck on top of Jr. Luckily not lit. I finally got my replacement barrel and lid today. Not sure what's on the menu yet this weekend other than a cpl fatties but she'll get a workout I know that. This thread must be slowing down, took a while to find it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1008201407.jpg (56.7 KB, 329 views)

Weber 26, PBC Jr
Fat Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #9934
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jim View Post
After having a Siezure and going down the steps of my deck on top of Jr. Luckily not lit.
I hope you fared better than the barrel...

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #9935
LooseGoose
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Goose

Loaded 4 butts into the Barrel this morning. Freddies is still running them at $0.99# so decided it was time to smoke some for the family. I've never done 4 at a time in there, it's a bit crowded.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #9936
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseGoose View Post
Loaded 4 butts into the Barrel this morning. Freddies is still running them at $0.99# so decided it was time to smoke some for the family. I've never done 4 at a time in there, it's a bit crowded.
waiting for some pictures tonight!

Old 10-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #9937
CrazyBear
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : C

Wow, lots of info in here. Anyone got some like must know pitbarrel tips n tricks? Been using mine since late March and love it.
CrazyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #9938
LooseGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
waiting for some pictures tonight!
3 hours in and we're at 106° - I'll be surprised if they get to temp in there. Thinking I'll need to oven them for a couple hours.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #9939
LooseGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBear View Post
Wow, lots of info in here. Anyone got some like must know pitbarrel tips n tricks? Been using mine since late March and love it.
Take the time to work your way through this thread. There is all kinds of info buried in here.

Old 10-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #9940
CrazyBear
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : C

Made my way through most of this. Cool seeing you guys evolve with the barrel over time. I really need to be more foodie and share some pictures with you guys, but normally i get a bit buzzed and forget lol.

Anyways I run RO lump pretty much always. I use Western wood, currently got hickory, mesquite, pecan, and apple. Pecan is my favorite to combine with, really good with a little mesquite.

Much like everyone else prior: Hanging is superior for that self baste effect. I do borrow a trick from Harry Soo and use a little wood to make a highpoint when on the grates so moisture can toll off. Ive found wrapping anything hanging to be a PITA so I dont wrap unless putting it on the grates.

Otherwise I've used this badboy 3-4 times a week since I got it. Done everything from wings, whole chicken, salmon, brisket, porkchops, pork butt, tri-tip, shrimp, leg of lamb, all kinds of ribs and still get excited whippin out the chimney starter.
CrazyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 PM   #9941
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

look forward to some pics, CB

Old 11-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #9942
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Not sure if anyone saw my other post but I learned how to bump THIS thread, anywho....

I'm smoking bone in short ribs (cut down english and shorter than full bone not the whole plate) this weekend and I'm planning at about 160° to braise the ribs in a mix of cider and hard cider. My question is roughly how long do you think the ribs will take to get to 200°ish/tender? I've done shorts ribs before and they took 7 hours total in my PBC. Would you think similar time or will braising speed up the cook?

Old 11-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #9943
fvrdfshrmn
Found some matches.

Default Gotta turkey issue

Not sure how I managed to mess this up but I did.. It was obvious they did not have my order ready when I arrived but I brought home the two much larger than i ordered fresh bone-in turkey breast from Whole Foods (i like to refer to them as Whole Paycheck) But I digress. I had many jobs on my wife's punch list yesterday so I got in a really big hurry and cut out the backbone of the breast. Was really stoked about using my newly purchased turkey hangers but now don't have that opportunity. While I was applying the dry brine I experimented with trussing the bird to the hanger. Not much success. So i have decided my only way forward is probably to spatchcock the breast. Do you more experienced Pit Barrel guys think the hooks will hold only the breasts with out the added support of the wings? This is only the second turkey cook I have ever done. Last time I tried them on the grate and they were smaller. They were touching the lid I think and turned out a bit dry. Good but dry-ish. I need help fellas.
fvrdfshrmn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #9944
northeast bbqer
Full Fledged Farker

The hooks alone are fine.
northeast bbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #9945
PUNKem733

I got a 25 pound pork leg I'm doing for Christmas. My problem is that I'm gonna cook it on the grate a it's an overnight cook, I may fall asleep for a bit, and don't want to worry about the hooks not holding. It fits on the grate, but I can't get the rods in. If I plugged up three holes with foil would one hole open be the equivalent to the space left when all four holes are filled with rods, or should I half way fill out the fourth hole?
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it