Hot sauce recipes?

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We made our first hot sauce a few months ago, starting with peppers and fermenting them in white wine etc. The final product came out excellent.
Yesterday, I discovered a bottle of Marie Sharp's Smokin Marie hot sauce, tried it on my pizza and WOW, fantastic.

So. anybody have a favorite hot sauce recipe they can share?

SmokinMarie-457x600.jpg

Haven't heard of Marie Sharp but will definitely give it a try. My favorite hot sauce is Crystal, not really that hot but a good taste.

We bought this in 2017 when we were in California, it was at the far end of the cupboard and unopened. It is damn good stuff.

I looked at their site, found some distributors in Europe and following some links, came about a French shop selling all sorts of hot sauces, chiles, spices etc. Order going out soon :razz:

I make a clear hot sauce that's good on everything. Usually just refill a small 3-4 oz bottle of Franks hot sauce so there's no real measurements.
Chop onion and smash juices out of it with a garlic press, get about a Tbsp of onion juice into small bottle.
Smash a garlic clove but don't mince it, just get it opened up and add that to bottle.
Score 2-3 small chili peppers depending on how much punch you want and add them to bottle.
Add a pinch of salt
Fill bottle to the base of the neck with white vinegar then top off with distilled water.
I use distilled because chemicals in tap water can change the flavors and stop the reaction between the vinegar and peppers.

Green hot sauce:

2-3 smoked tomatillos
2-3 smoked green jalapenos
1-2 other green chilies (Serranos work well)
1/2 clove of garlic
1 t salt
1 cup white vinegar

Put all in blender and hit frappe'
Add vinegar or water to get consistency you want then strain through a screen or don't.

Green hot sauce:

2-3 smoked tomatillos
2-3 smoked green jalapenos
1-2 other green chilies (Serranos work well)
1/2 clove of garlic
1 t salt
1 cup white vinegar

Put all in blender and hit frappe'
Add vinegar or water to get consistency you want then strain through a screen or don't.

Not a "hot sauce" per se but if you replace the vinegar with the juice of a few fresh limes you will have a very nice (hot) salsa verde that's very close to my own recipe. Serve with tortilla chips. :flame:

We made our first hot sauce a few months ago, starting with peppers and fermenting them in white wine etc.

most hot sauce recipes are made with three basic ingredients: chiles, vinegar, and salt. However sometimes herbs and aromatics are added for extra flavors.

1 pound stemmed fresh chiles (jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, scotch bonnet, or habanero; even mix and match)
1 1/2 cups distilled vinegar
2 tablespoons kosher salt

Pureee chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a rough chop purée forms. Pour into a glass jar, leaving lid slightly loose. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours to ferment slightly.

Add the vinegar and again leave lid slightly loose. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for at least 3 days (up to 8 days). Taste it daily because the longer it sits, the richer the flavor becomes.

Return mixture to blender and purée until smooth, (1 minute or more). Place a piece of cheese cloth inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into clean glass bottles. The hot sauce will become thinner and may even separate after you strain it. Shake vigorously before each use.

You can add additional items such as garlic, herbs, ect, for additional flavors when you first chop the chilies.

Also see... https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-red-hot-sauce-3645026

I would presume that one of your downfalls is the availability of the types of hot peppers in Europe. I say this because a friend who lives in Germany that cannot find hot peppers, everything spicy is curry based. So I occasionally send him various hot sauces through another friend stationed at a NATO Airbase.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

IamMadMan, send your friend in Germany this link. We bought about 5kg of chilies etc from them last year and the quality is excellent!

I make a Burmese chili sauce that I really like and sambal....
Of course sambal, plenty plenty of it ;)
Sambal oelek, sambal badjak, sambal brandal, sambal bawang, etc

And sri racha sauce and all kind of experiments with madam Janet chili's
Pickling, lacto-fermenting, preserving them in vodka etc etc
A nice link for the chili-lovers: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/

Back