Is there a difference in canopy tents?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Looking for something to use when there is a bit of rain, and a desire to use outdoor cookers. Prices seem to be all over the place, and if I'm going to spend money on one-I'd like it to last for a while.

I have a cheap $60 model of a 10x10 canopy I bought on sale somewhere like Ace hardware a few years ago. Works decent. The canopy is kinda thin and has developed a few pinholes but I’ve used it for cooking, and at sports events and picnics at least a dozen times. Always happy with it.

Last month I got in on the RTIC clearance sale and picked up one of theirs for $80. OMG it’s a brick $h1thouse compared to the cheapo. Haven’t used it yet but no question it’s far more sturdy and much better made.

I almost bought one on that clearance. I wanted to have one around, and she thought it was silly. I had no real use for it, so I didn't push the issue. Today she decides she wants one, but doesn't really have a reason for it.

I'm just throwing this out there but if your not going to need it anywhere but home, have you considered some type of patio cover?

All my stuff stays under my back patio.

Buy once, cry once but it's there.

2qd73ib.jpg

Thanks! I'll dig through there.
I'm just throwing this out there but if your not going to need it anywhere but home, have you considered some type of patio cover?

Home isn't too bad, I can get by there. I actually have to cook a family gathering this weekend and it might rain. They are renting a community center and when I asked if it had cover-she dropped the 'I just want one' line.

The ones with slits in Top Help with Wind - won't Lift as Easy. Big Difference in Frame strength and Tarp strength between cheap Ones and Good Ones.

The ones with slits in Top Help with Wind - won't Lift as Easy. Big Difference in Frame strength and Tarp strength between cheap Ones and Good Ones.

Well, that makes it more confusing. The thread you posted has several people suggesting the EZ Up brand. From my quick look, it appears they have 432 different models with as many price ranges.

I don't see any of theirs that are vented.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference in folded size and weight that tells the story about how well constructed they are. Like more than 2x size and weight. A heavy duty canopy like the RTIC (which I own) is great when a little wind picks up, but it is also not something you will grab on a whim and toss in the back of the car, or carry very far to a camping spot.

For exclusively at home use, or something hauled in a truck and setup nearby, get a good one. Otherwise, light weight has its advantages.

We’ve been using one every weekend for almost 3 years.

We swear by Caravan canopies. Easy to replace parts and rebuild if they get damaged.
They also make an aluminum frame one that my wife can toss around

Costco in Independence has the Pro Shade brand on sale right now for $169. It's nice and heavy duty, I have one and love it. I used it out at Independence Fire and Ice in 2016 during a heavy storm and high winds, it held up fine, though I had it secured to some heavy buckets. Many other people lost their tents or more that night. For the money they can't be beat, I'm considering buying another.

Don't mind the price on the website, in store it's $169.

https://www.costco.com/ProShade-10'-x-10'-Aluminum-Instant-Canopy.product.100430984.html

The ones you want to stay away from are the ones with angled legs that extend out past the canopy coverage. Get a straight leg model regardless of the brand. EZ UP is a main brand and I have a 12'x12' foot one. One person can put it up with patience, easier for 2 people
"
Straight Leg vs. Slant Leg Canopies

Slant leg canopies are often less expensive and provide a sleek look, but they are not as stable as canopies with a straight leg frame. Straight leg frames will be more stable and are going to provide the most coverage without taking up more space. Here is an example of taking up more space while ultimately providing less coverage. Let’s compare two 10’ x 10’ canopies, one with straight legs and one with slant legs. The Straight leg canopy will provide 100 sq. ft. of shade while the slant leg canopy will only provide about 60 sq. ft. of shade."

The ones you want to stay away from are the ones with angled legs that extend out past the canopy coverage. Get a straight leg model regardless of the brand. EZ UP is a main brand and I have a 12'x12' foot one. One person can put it up with patience, easier for 2 people
"
Straight Leg vs. Slant Leg Canopies

Slant leg canopies are often less expensive and provide a sleek look, but they are not as stable as canopies with a straight leg frame. Straight leg frames will be more stable and are going to provide the most coverage without taking up more space. Here is an example of taking up more space while ultimately providing less coverage. Let’s compare two 10’ x 10’ canopies, one with straight legs and one with slant legs. The Straight leg canopy will provide 100 sq. ft. of shade while the slant leg canopy will only provide about 60 sq. ft. of shade."

That is really interesting. When I looked last night, I was really thinking about that slant leg EZ UP, since it was the big name and the cheaper offering.

It sounds like there are a few good choices out there.

I had a EZ Up straight leg 10 x 10 for years. It was great. I lost it last year to a wind storm. I replaced it with the RTIC during the after Christmas sale. It appears to be pretty well built, but I have some reservations about the long-term prospects for the cross beams. I'll keep an eye on it, but at less than half price on sale I can't complain.

David
I have a cheap $60 model of a 10x10 canopy I bought on sale somewhere like Ace hardware a few years ago. Works decent. The canopy is kinda thin and has developed a few pinholes but I’ve used it for cooking, and at sports events and picnics at least a dozen times. Always happy with it.

Last month I got in on the RTIC clearance sale and picked up one of theirs for $80. OMG it’s a brick $h1thouse compared to the cheapo. Haven’t used it yet but no question it’s far more sturdy and much better made.

Not sure what brand it was, but the ones that Hotch had at the North Texas Spring bash were pretty nice! I'm assuming they were the easy ups because they had the quick release legs.

We’ve been using one every weekend for almost 3 years.

We swear by Caravan canopies. Easy to replace parts and rebuild if they get damaged.
They also make an aluminum frame one that my wife can toss around

Just ordered a Caravan canopy. It has SLIGHTLY better reviews than the EZ UP on Amazon, but reading that you use it weekly was what really sold me on it.

Just ordered a Caravan canopy. It has SLIGHTLY better reviews than the EZ UP on Amazon, but reading that you use it weekly was what really sold me on it.

It was just another brand of canopy for me...until we had a wind and rain storm that completely wrecked one that was barely a year old.

$56 in parts later and it was completely rebuilt and stands in my backyard today (2 years later)

Being able to replace any cross support, leg or strut without replacing the whole frame was the key for me.
We now own 3 of them and all parts are interchangeable

Back