Am I missing something with the Masterbuilt Gravity Fed?

ther00k

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Wanted to get you guys' opinion on the Masterbuilt Gravity fed. I joined the Facebook page and there is a lot of good information about the smoker on there. Scrolling through the posts, there are many of them experiencing issues after issues or ones that they have to do some Mod to correct an issue. I know there are other Gravity fed smokers out but are made of better materials. Is this thing just a grill with a fan on it? Can I get the same thing buying something like an Assassin and connecting a guru or fireboard to it?

Last edited:
Ok...I own the MB560. I also own a WSM, Primo XL and MAK2. I'd been eyeing GF smokers for months, however cost was an issue for me. When I saw the 560, I figured it might be a cheap way for me to be introduced to GF smokers. Now that I have it, I find it to be very versatile and convenient to use. I can low and slow it or cook at temps exceeding 600*. I even purchased the MB rotisserie and have produced the best chicken I've ever made...why, I don't know. This cooker is just fun to use and simple to operate.
Now...it's built like you would expect an MB cooker to be built. Many have had issues with the electronics, wires and switches. Personally, I've had no real issues...yet.
I can say that if build quality and materials were better and the electronics were sorted out, I'd be recommending this cooker to anyone who'd listen. It's easy, it's fun and it does what you ask it to do. It seems most on the FB pages are coming from gassers or other MB quality cookers, so the 560/1050 are a step up. All that said, how long will this cooker last? Who knows...

Ok...I own the MB560. I also own a WSM, Primo XL and MAK2. I'd been eyeing GF smokers for months, however cost was an issue for me. When I saw the 560, I figured it might be a cheap way for me to be introduced to GF smokers. Now that I have it, I find it to be very versatile and convenient to use. I can low and slow it or cook at temps exceeding 600*. I even purchased the MB rotisserie and have produced the best chicken I've ever made...why, I don't know. This cooker is just fun to use and simple to operate.
Now...it's built like you would expect an MB cooker to be built. Many have had issues with the electronics, wires and switches. Personally, I've had no real issues...yet.
I can say that if build quality and materials were better and the electronics were sorted out, I'd be recommending this cooker to anyone who'd listen. It's easy, it's fun and it does what you ask it to do. It seems most on the FB pages are coming from gassers or other MB quality cookers, so the 560/1050 are a step up. All that said, how long will this cooker last? Who knows...

Do you find your self liking the 560 more than your other cookers? I found some on sale for $250 and for that price I might consider it as a tinker toy!!

Do you find your self liking the 560 more than your other cookers? I found some on sale for $250 and for that price I might consider it as a tinker toy!!

If the 560 were a quality cooker, it would be my go-to cooker. In fact, it's all I've been using since I got it. It comes to temp in just a few minutes and once it settles in, it holds temps really well. I can smoke my wings at 275*, then finish them off at 500* in just a few minutes. I will hold 225* for 12 hours +, on a full chute of coals. Yes, it's fun to use. To me, at $250, it's a no-brainer. I paid full price and I'm still glad I got it.

I have had my 560 for about 4 months. I've been grilling and smoking for 15+ years on a number of various products. Typically cook a couple times a week year around.

The MB is built like, well like a Masterbuilt. But it works and is just fun to use. The app is trash and I have made a number of mods to improve some of the design limitations, but admittedly most were not required. I tend to "improve" most things I own. Its what I do.

They way it works, the speed of its operation, ease of use, and the taste of the food produced have made it my go to grill for most of my cooks.

If you do decide to buy an Assassin I don't think you will regret it and you can run it without a Guru or Fireboard. They use to say learn how to use without the Guru first. I used guru's with my Assassin's mainly for the temp & meat probes and sometimes didn't even plug the fan in.

Brickseek says there are some at $200 at a local Walmart. Might just mosey on over.

I've been using my 560 for about 3 months. When I purchased it, I knew what I was getting and its many shortcomings. I'm not disappointed. I likely won't ever trust it for an overnight slow-low cook, though. I still use my other grills, but the 560 has been getting the bulk of the day-to-day cooking. The thing produces great food, and its dead simple. It also allowed me to introduce 2 non-grilling coworkers to outdoor cooking. They've both bought 560s and are cooking on them regularly.

If someone made a version with better build quality and electronics, they would already have my credit card and shipping info.

Wanted to make this purchase, but after following for a while was scared off and went with a pellet grill. Still love the way they look, and I am sure they cook excellent food.

Wanted to make this purchase, but after following for a while was scared off and went with a pellet grill. Still love the way they look, and I am sure they cook excellent food.

Funny...on the FB page, you'd think this is the be all to end all. Unfortunately, lots of blind leading the blind. Hopefully this will spur some of them to really get into smoking and what it should be.
I know what you mean about this smoker. If I had more $, I would have gone with an Old Country GF for sure. What this MB has been is a fun diversion...for as long as it lasts.

I have been using the crap out of mine and other than being a bonehead and forgetting to do a clean up had a little fire no issues. I have all the benefits of my WSM with even less tending to. In fact in many ways easier to cook on becuase all you do is flip open the lid. I would say go for it for sure. Fun, easy and versital. Get 2 if you can find for $200

Back