Did Y’all Do This?

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Do you still? Save that bacon grease?
We did, still do
Favorite dish?
Mine was fried fresh okra. Mom could fry it like crispy hash browns. I’ve ever been able to duplicate what I remember. Perhaps it was an illusion.

Last edited:
I sometimes save it. I also like to fry half a slice before I fry other stuff, like if I’m making a Spam sandwich or anything else that can benefit from a little smoky fat.

When I went off to college, Mom packed up some kitchen essentials for me, it included a jar of bacon drippings, to be used for flavoring everything.

Mom fried okra with yellow corn meal, it was much better than the heavily breaded stuff served at restaurants .

Here's one of my fav summer meals , garden fresh tomato mixed with the corn meal and fried okra .............. man , many good memories here

RKcoiBq.jpg

I really enjoy the BBQ Brethren site. Its a great site, but man, posting pictures here is a dayuum labor. Have ya thought about a software upgrade ? I'd be willing to pitch in with a donation. I mean really, barbecue needs pics.

I keep it! Use it for searing burgers and sometimes steak. The most common use is for breakfast potatoes. I buy the precooked bag, add blackening seasoning and fry in bacon grease until golden, the family loves them!

I keep it from butcher shop bacon. I filter it with a paper towel, then pour it into an ice cube try to freeze. Nice tablespoon sized cubes.

Was doing it for a long time... got out of the habit after a round of "What the hell is this in the back of the fridge..." - Now I've started saving it back again. Especially with me using almost all cast iron for cooking anymore, nothing coats and seasons like bacon grease...

Makes for the best venison tenderloin. SPG in flour, cube up loin, shake in bag, fry in bacon grease..oh ya!

I'm unfortunate enough that I only buy bacon maybe twice a year, but you bet I save the drippings in a 12 oz. wide mouth salsa jar for cooking eggs, taters, etc. The next best thing is coconut oil for taters. Because I use it sparingly and not very often, I keep it in the fridge.

Once in a while I'll save bacon grease but what I really like is to save the duck fat when I roast a duck. Wonderful stuff.

Brother I was raised and live in Kentucky. Absolutely we do that is like liquid gold around here.
Bacon drippings is the stuff that make reindeer fly.

I was raised on a dairy farm. We grew about 99% of what we ate, including pigs for slaughter. We butchered our hogs and skinned them (never scalded a hog). We then took them to a butcher who processed them for us. A couple of days later, we would pick up a box of ground pork fat. We would then render that fat down for lard. The lard was then strained through cloth into metal buckets. What remained in the cloth were little BB's we called Cracklins. Those little Cracklins made the best corn bread which is nothing like the big cracklin chunks that you can buy today.

A few weeks later we would pick up the hams and bacon. We used an old German butcher. I do not know how he cured and smoked the meat, but I have never had any bacon or ham since that ever compared to what this gentleman produced. His process had a very balanced smoke/salt/sugar ratio. Everything that was fried was fried in that lard and the bacon grease that was saved. And we had something fried about 8 days a week.

So, short story long, yes we did and I do save bacon grease, but it's not the same as my childhood memories. Now, we rarely fry anything.

Just for fun, pop some popcorn in bacon grease. Thank me later.

Robert

Back