Need a little brethren help please...

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
After much reading I’ve decided I need beef liver in my life...

That being said, I HATE cooked liver, it’s a total texture thang.

So I’m looking for ideas or maybe someone that can give me ideas of things you may have tried and liked or didn’t like.

So far I have come up with a couple things to try, purée the liver, put in a piping bag and pipe like some dime size dollops and freeze them then just take it like a pill. The other idea was to buy a dehydrator slice it and make a jerky of sorts.

Anyone got anything on this?

Beef or calves liver is one of my favorites, but, as the only one in the house who doe like it, it dont happen.
I have always put it on a hot griddle for a quick cook / sear. Gives it more of a steak taste and some what texture. Also a quick cast iron pan fry, cut into strips with some onions and peppers.

Don't know about beef liver, but you could make a patee out of it or a terrine. Works well with chicken livers and good on crackers and bread. I understand calves liver is better.

Lamb liver is supposedly even denser in nutrients like copper and manganese.

Here's a recipe for Italian style. Everything else I saw was...yes...liver and onions.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/italian-style-beef-liver/

107699571_10221903586795518_450623902958364853_n.jpg

Calf liver is milder and less "liver tasting".

My wife hates the whole concept of eating liver (forced to as a child for anemia) but when my MIL was in better health and could cook she would make calf liver and gravy and she and I would eat it.

I'm a fan of fried chicken livers (another thing that grosses my wife out).

I make this quite often. Great on a cracker with a little red onion and some capers.

YIELDMakes 8 to 10 servings
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
2 tablespoons bourbon
Accompaniment: crackers or toasted baguette slices
Garnish: a fresh thyme, marjoram, or sage sprig
Special Equipment
a 2 1/2-cup crock or terrine or several small ramekins

-
PREPARATION
Melt 1 stick butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, then cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add herbs, salt, pepper, allspice, and livers and cook, stirring, until livers are cooked outside but still pink when cut open, about 8 minutes. Stir in bourbon and remove from heat. Purée mixture in a food processor until smooth, then transfer pâté to crock and smooth top.
Melt remaining 1/2 stick butter in a very small heavy saucepan over low heat, then remove pan from heat and let butter stand 3 minutes. If using herb garnish, put sprig on top of pâté. Skim froth from butter, then spoon enough clarified butter over pâté to cover its surface, leaving milky solids in bottom of pan.
Chill pâté until butter is firm, about 30 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours more.
Cooks' notes:
·Pâté can be chilled up to 2 weeks.
·Once butter seal has been broken, pâté keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap and chilled, 1 week.

Bacon and onions smothering the liver is great, cook the bacon then the liver and onions in the bacon grease

Jeremy, is your intention to take liver for health reasons?

Love fried chicken liver. I cooked in a restaurant back in the day and we would split a case or two of chickens at time about once a week. We didn't serve the livers and gizzards so we would fry them and hit it with a bit of green Tobasco sauce for a chef snack.

Calf liver is milder and less "liver tasting".

I'm a fan of fried chicken livers (another thing that grosses my wife out).

Jeremy, is your intention to take liver for health reasons?

Yes Sir.

I can buy capsules, and a few other items but GOOD LAWD that chit is high!

Cooked properly I think less people would hate liver. Growing up it was cooked until dry, was like eating a car tire, and needed lots of water or milk to be able to swallow it.

I do find I really enjoy it now cooked to medium-medium rare with a ton of caramelized onions. Nice sweetness to it and don't even taste livery.

A wurst of some kind is always nice to have kicking around the fridge to put on some crackers, or even make a sandwich with it.

Make a dip , hummus or schmear
Imagination will kick in what to do with it

I am the only one who will eat liver at my house, and I will do liver and onions when I am giving blood. Other than the rumaki idea which is good too, you could try cutting in small pieces (think japanese yakatori) and marinating in teriaki or another flavorful marinade for a day and then skewer it in small amounts and grill. Maybe freeze some of the skewers to throw on the grill as desired? (Maybe desired is too strong of a word). This is a stir fry recipe I have only done with non liver but is tasty.

Last edited:
We ate a lot of liver as a kid, most of it needed a good amount of ketchup, however my favorite was thin sliced calves liver, mom always breaded it in flour cornmeal mix seasoned with salt and pepper and fried it in bacon grease in her biggest cast iron skillet. That liver did not need a thing it was just as good as chicken fried steak. IMO the key was calves liver, thin sliced about a 1/4", the flour cornmeal dredge was same as her fish dredge and of course bacon grease.

I make this quite often. Great on a cracker with a little red onion and some capers.

YIELDMakes 8 to 10 servings
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pound chicken livers, trimmed
2 tablespoons bourbon
Accompaniment: crackers or toasted baguette slices
Garnish: a fresh thyme, marjoram, or sage sprig
Special Equipment
a 2 1/2-cup crock or terrine or several small ramekins

-
PREPARATION
Melt 1 stick butter in a large nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, then cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add herbs, salt, pepper, allspice, and livers and cook, stirring, until livers are cooked outside but still pink when cut open, about 8 minutes. Stir in bourbon and remove from heat. Purée mixture in a food processor until smooth, then transfer pâté to crock and smooth top.
Melt remaining 1/2 stick butter in a very small heavy saucepan over low heat, then remove pan from heat and let butter stand 3 minutes. If using herb garnish, put sprig on top of pâté. Skim froth from butter, then spoon enough clarified butter over pâté to cover its surface, leaving milky solids in bottom of pan.
Chill pâté until butter is firm, about 30 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours more.
Cooks' notes:
·Pâté can be chilled up to 2 weeks.
·Once butter seal has been broken, pâté keeps, its surface covered with plastic wrap and chilled, 1 week.

It's doctored up with so much crap you'll never know your eating liver Jeremey you'll never know your eating liver:crazy: It bet it does taste great though.

After much reading I’ve decided I need beef liver in my life...

That being said, I HATE cooked liver, it’s a total texture thang.

So I’m looking for ideas or maybe someone that can give me ideas of things you may have tried and liked or didn’t like.

So far I have come up with a couple things to try, purée the liver, put in a piping bag and pipe like some dime size dollops and freeze them then just take it like a pill. The other idea was to buy a dehydrator slice it and make a jerky of sorts.

Anyone got anything on this?

Yeah? You just came to some sort of an epiphany uh? :wink:

I'm there with you...not generally a fan of cleansing organs myself. Alright. Ditch the dehydrator option. You're in the weeds there.

Like others said...schmeer or paste....if you have caramelized onions and a food processor you're on your way. Ever had Fois Gras? It's bangin. But much milder. A couple of ideas...Pate is "the way" and you're on the right track. Younger calf liver is also a good idea. If you're not Keto...get some crackers and beer (thank me later). If you are...put it on some 2-3" pieces of bacon.

Try this:

http://cedarvalleysustainable.com/blog/2014/01/21/beef-liver-pate/

Back