MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #16
TheRicker54
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Rick

I'm new to the forum. But I've had an old (from Oregon old) Traeger BBQ075 for going on 15 years now. Some of the paint is starting to peel. I've never had a problem with this unit. Never have replaced anything on it. I've kept it in the garage when not in use and I think that helps a lot.

I did a lot of online research and I got down to the Grilla Grills Silverbac (w/AlphaSmoke), the Rec-Tec RT-700, and the Assassin 48" Pellet Grill. Key points for me was I wanted the grill surface/grates to be as large as my old BBQ075 which is 34" W x 15" D x 9"H. Without the second tier racks, the Silverbac didn't have enough space for me. That said, that company does a lot of thing right and makes modifications to make the unit better. Just real good engineering in my mind. They have a good warranty. But the height from the lower grate to the top of the cooking chamber is "just shy of 8 1/2"". Beer-can chicken sitting on a beer-can chicken holder barely fits in my BBQ075 at 9". I worried about that and thus eliminated the Silverbac from my decision...which was hard to do because it's a nice unit for the price and has very good YouTube reviews.

I liked the size of the Assassin but they only have a 1-year warranty, had several caveats to the warranty, and they don't have a "trap door" to empty the hopper. I like to use different flavor pellets and scooping them out isn't what I'd prefer. Also, the grease drip pan doesn't have sides. That bothered me. I don't want grease dripping into the bottom of the smoker. Those were show-stoppers for me. But it is one heckuva well-built unit.

That left the Rec-Tec RT-700 to decide on. So, I drove about 150 miles to Evans GA (Outside of Augusta) just last Friday to look at it in person. I like a lot about the unit...size; the height off the lower grate is only 9 1/2" but that's a hair better than my BBQ075; and a lot of stainless steel construction. I could care less about the 40lb pellet hopper...until I want to do a brisket. I'd like to see a pellet hopper dump option/feature. But the area of the main tier grate is 702"...thereabouts. I liked that a lot. So I bought the RT-700.

So, IMHO, things to determine what you want are (1) the size of the main grate; (2) the height from the main/lower grate to the top of the cooking chamber or the lid opening/hinge; (3) construction of the unit; (4) the electronic/digital controller; and (5) a pellet hopper dump. I've got a big family and the overall size of the main grate is important. That can be a bunch of beer-can chickens, burgers, or slabs of ribs. I'm just not a fan of the upper grates. I have way too much trouble getting stuff in and out when I use them. So I went with a vertical rack for my ribs. The stainless steel construction theoretically should last longer than non-SS. Double-wall construction of the barrel itself is important and won favor with me on the Silverbac.

Final summary...I liked the Silverbac a lot. I just needed more size/cooking area. The Assassin had the size, heavy-duty construction, and nice, easy dual racks...both big in size and 5 3/4" between them...which meant the height from the lower grate to the top of the smoking/cooking area was 11 1/2". That was nice. But the warranty sucked...to say the least. That left me with the Rec-Tec RT-700. It will serve me well.

Reviews of many other units just didn't give me a high level of confidence and that got me down to the three units mentioned above. I hope this helps some.
TheRicker54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 AM   #17
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like Rick, I too weighed the pros and cons of many units. In the end, for my budget, Rec Tec 590 was the winner. Great warranty, enough room for my needs and I finally got the wifi to work. It works and cooks like a champ!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #18
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Like Rick, I too weighed the pros and cons of many units. In the end, for my budget, Rec Tec 590 was the winner. Great warranty, enough room for my needs and I finally got the wifi to work. It works and cooks like a champ!

Love my 590
DanB

Old 06-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Cookshack or Mak. Yoder isn't quite up to their level.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I am the happy owner of a Yoder YS640. Its definitely a premium build cooker and if you are looking for a quality product, it certainly meets the criteria. I don't own a MAK but those I've seen and read about are outstanding as well. The choice between a Yoder and a MAK is not a choice between which is better. Its a choice between two stellar products and you couldn't go wrong with either one.

I love my Yoder and don't mind telling folks about it when they ask. Otherwise I try to shut the fark up and just enjoy it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
darita
is One Chatty Farker

I own a MAK, but dude...that Yoder is awesome looking.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #22
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Those Yoders are indeed, pure eye candy [emoji7]

Old 06-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #23
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Pellet Grill

Those Yoders are indeed, pure eye candy

So is the price tag.
DanB

Old 06-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #24
Nokare
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I know this doesn't really matter but I am struggling with them visually.
Nokare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #25
darita
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokare View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I hear what you're saying, however I believe MAKs are made by a sheet metal company. They know their sheet metal and want it to be seen and appreciated.
Now back to our program...

Old 06-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #26
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Nope, you’re not the only one. I didn’t like the look when I first saw them either. They’ve grown on me to the point I really like the look now... but still like Yoder the best out of all the pellet grills on the market from a “looks” standpoint. That said, I have seen guys buy MAK’s based purely on reputation that did not like the aesthetics. I have seen some of those same guys also make mention that they were amazed at how much nicer the MAK’s look in person. To each their own I suppose :-)

Old 06-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #27
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

The YS640 on a comp cart looks awesome! With the new controller, it’s supposed to be even better. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the choices here. If the Yoder was stainless, I would’ve bought one. My MAK has been great! It just cooks.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #28
stljay
On the road to being a farker

I like the look of the Pitts and Spitts. That stainless roll top is pretty sweet. You should at least have a look.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #29
Nokare
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Nick

I really think I have to wait for the lone star grillz pellet smoker to come out. I have been told late summer/early fall. I really liked the quality of the ivs they made me a few years back.
Reading the description it sounds pretty good to me.
Nokare is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #30
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Quote:
They are indeed pretty utilitarian. Cookshacks aren't pretty either. Both are top tier cookers. I think it's funny that Weber took some pretty obvious inspiration from Mak and then gussied it up a bit.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote