MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:58 PM   #16
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Splurge. A quality stick burner will make things so much more enjoyable.

I think a cheap stickburner makes life a lot more difficult. Yes it can be done but it seems most people have more problems with them.

I spent about $1200 on my first stickburner and it was a backyard job/copy of a smaller Lang. I wanted to make sure I would actually really enjoy a stick burner. Loved it and snagged a Shirley and offloaded the Lang copy.

The only reason I would go cheaper is if your not really sure about smoking/cooking or just struggling to swing a higher end smoker.
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

Get the one you actually want, you'll end up buying it later anyway. (Ask me how I know)
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #18
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

If your sure about stick burning and the attention it takes get what you want as long as your comfortable spending the money.

I've never spent more than $300 on a cooker... heck, maybe $250. It was for an ok Joe longhorn and I loved the thing but life got complicated and stick burning was out of the question. I'd love to return to it and was ready to jump on what I consider the perfect smoker for me but every time I save up the $2500 for it I cant pull the trigger. I'm literally flush with stimulus $ I didn't even expect and I still cant do it

Old 08-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #19
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

And there’s always the Ironside pellet charcoal all wood option.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Seeing you’re in La maybe source a pit from that area. There’s that one dude on YouTube that makes cool cookers. I can’t remember his name but there was a thread a few weeks back.
The one with the cool videos is probably Country Built Smokers (Allen’s Welding on YouTube). Funny enough, he’s building me a Santa Maria grill. However, he’s far enough away from me that shipping is still a bit expensive. And it was supposed to be finished last December.

There is a guy about 15 minutes from me that builds what looks like high quality stuff called Boathouse Smokers. He only has a Facebook page. Almost all of what he builds are cabinet style or cabinet-ish reverse flows. I had actually kind of forgotten about him because my BBQ buddy had talked me out of getting a vertical smoker. Maybe I should give Boathouse another look.
Killa J is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #21
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Damn. Didn’t know he was so behind! I’ve head about boathouse but don’t know much. I just think going local if they can build a top notch pit saves you shipping charges.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:05 PM   #22
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Damn. Didn’t know he was so behind! I’ve head about boathouse but don’t know much. I just think going local if they can build a top notch pit saves you shipping charges.
Maybe I should ask him to switch my build to a smoker if he hasn’t started. A Santa Maria seems fun, but I’ll use a smoker way more often.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:10 PM   #23
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Start on the cheaper end or buy the expensive smoker I really want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa J View Post
How many briskets can you reasonably fit on your 1975? I’m pretty much a complete newbie with offsets, but I know you can’t just cram the entire cooking grate full with good results.

I’m worried that Workhorse’s prices might go up if I wait.

Four on the bottom and maybe a couple on top (if thinner without a huge point). Maybe 5 on bottom shelf, depending on size. I’m guessing as I have not done that many yet. if running a lazy fire and the main grate is 250, the top will be 275…if running a hotter fire and 275 is main, the upper grate is 25-50 hotter. It’s very, very even side to side

Edit - not my pic…someone else’s 1975 with four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by gtsum; 08-02-2021 at 08:18 PM..
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #24
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Maybe I should ask him to switch my build to a smoker if he hasn’t started. A Santa Maria seems fun, but I’ll use a smoker way more often.
Definitely a great idea!

Old 08-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #25
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

My very first stick burner was 24x65 from Shirley Fabrication. I never ran an offset smoker prior. One came up for sale here in MN and figured it was my one and only shot of picking up a Shirley Fabrication smoker. So I jumped on it. I have zero regrets. What an awesome learning experience! Go for it!
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 08:27 PM   #26
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Caddo Mills T

https://bigphilssmokers.com/lil-phranklin/

Old 08-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #27
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn’t be dropping big coin on anything right now. Raw material prices are through the roof and we have an extremely uncertain economy right now. Personally I’d be playing it safe for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #28
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Damn, they even call it a Phranklin. At least Workhorse had theirs out before Franklin did, even if they look alike.

Their prices on really big smokers are the best I’ve seen.

Last edited by Killa J; 08-02-2021 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #29
Killa J
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrogers84 View Post
I wouldn’t be dropping big coin on anything right now. Raw material prices are through the roof and we have an extremely uncertain economy right now. Personally I’d be playing it safe for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably the most sensible answer. Maybe I’ll just work on my fire management in the Good One and see if I can get that working better for me. We do plan on moving to a bigger place in a few years, maybe I’ll hold off until I have a place to fit a 250 gallon smoker. Gotta think big

Old 08-02-2021, 10:27 PM   #30
rm41400
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ry

Quote:
Probably the most sensible answer. Maybe I’ll just work on my fire management in the Good One and see if I can get that working better for me. We do plan on moving to a bigger place in a few years, maybe I’ll hold off until I have a place to fit a 250 gallon smoker. Gotta think big
I hope you didn’t come here for a sensible answer… :)

cooking at home can be quite sensible and save on your eating out. Plus cooking with wood fire has gotta be good for your soul!
Santa Maria 42”
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote