Gravity 980

Fizzerpilot

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just picked one up last week.. I’ve seasoned it, and grilled some burgers this weekend. Tomorrow I’m going to throw in some baby backs.

Thus far, I love this unit. Wifi sucks, Bluetooth is limited, but the grill heats very fast and holds temp like a pro.

I’ve been powering it with a 10,000mah power bank.

Attachments

• 164663C2-3C27-49C0-9F9F-21CDD9DE5864.jpg
    164663C2-3C27-49C0-9F9F-21CDD9DE5864.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 363
  • 0C52D744-4A42-4575-B3D9-3075BFC5F60F.jpg
    0C52D744-4A42-4575-B3D9-3075BFC5F60F.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 364
Smoked a rack of ribs this past weekend. 5 hours at 250... wow. Used duck fat as a binder, and the ribs were so tender and juicy throughout. No wrap.

Temp control was excellent. It wavered by +/-7F, and when I ramped it up to set the sauce, it was almost instant. It burned 1lb of charcoal per hour. I have found that choking out the fire in the chute, in order to save charcoal after a cook, is almost futile. There is enough air available to just keep it smoldering, so I basically throw in 1lb for every hour I plan to cook.

I’ve done no mods. No extra gaskets, nada. It seems a well built unit.

Attachments

• 5B7203A3-5600-49A2-8DE5-CE2EA1E1629D.jpg
    5B7203A3-5600-49A2-8DE5-CE2EA1E1629D.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 284
  • 1FD32256-92C0-4503-A714-96BBC60656ED.jpg
    1FD32256-92C0-4503-A714-96BBC60656ED.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 284
Ribs look superb.

Considering this single unit to replace:
1 weber gas grill
1 18.5" WSM
1 22" Weber kettle

Something to consider for the future...I was impressed with my MB at first, then I found shortcomings in the app/controller. I did some temp tests and found that although the controller showed rock steady temps, the temps were actually all over the place. I soon switched to using my FB2Drive as a controller and found it to be the perfect answer.

Ribs look fantastic! Was there good smoke flavor?

I toss wood chunks into the ash container. One thing I don't like about this is that the charcoal I've been using generates a ton of ash, and this keeps the chunks for burning as much as I'd like them to. I'm going to get lump the next time, which normally generates less ash.

I toss wood chunks into the ash container. One thing I don't like about this is that the charcoal I've been using generates a ton of ash, and this keeps the chunks for burning as much as I'd like them to. I'm going to get lump the next time, which normally generates less ash.

I find that B&B oak briquets to leave less ash. I put chunks in the chute for smoke flavor. Never have I put in the ash pan, there are issues with burning the flap and/or fan putting it in the pan.

I used WALMART Expert Grill briquets... and they produced half the ash of Kingsford. These ribs were very good... typically the wife won’t eat leftover ribs... these were gone the next day.

Something to consider for the future...I was impressed with my MB at first, then I found shortcomings in the app/controller. I did some temp tests and found that although the controller showed rock steady temps, the temps were actually all over the place. I soon switched to using my FB2Drive as a controller and found it to be the perfect answer.

How do you use the Drive as a controller? I don't think I've seen that, but I haven't thought about it, either.

Just picked one up last week.. I’ve seasoned it, and grilled some burgers this weekend. Tomorrow I’m going to throw in some baby backs.

Thus far, I love this unit. Wifi sucks, Bluetooth is limited, but the grill heats very fast and holds temp like a pro.

I’ve been powering it with a 10,000mah power bank.

FizzerPilot, I have a question.. When you’re using your 10,000mAh power bank, have you ever received a ErU error code? It’s for incorrect voltage detected. I just purchased a 20,000 mAh power bank and when I plugged it into the controller, I received the ErU error code. At the moment, I’m recharging the power bank to ensure it’s fully charged… Is there anything else I should be checking for or something I’m doing wrong? Any helpful input is much appreciated. Thanks.

FizzerPilot, I have a question.. When you’re using your 10,000mAh power bank, have you ever received a ErU error code? It’s for incorrect voltage detected. I just purchased a 20,000 mAh power bank and when I plugged it into the controller, I received the ErU error code. At the moment, I’m recharging the power bank to ensure it’s fully charged… Is there anything else I should be checking for or something I’m doing wrong? Any helpful input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Actually I have not... I've cooked for 8 hours, no issue 🤷*♂️

To solve that ErU error message that I was receiving, I installed a USB 5v to 12v converter cable to the power bank and the CG 980’s power connector and the grill fired up perfectly. .02

Back