1st ham - it came out GREAT, but

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My first ham - 12 Lbs. fresh, 1/2 ham (skin on - shank end).
I cured it, smoked it, and baked it.

The cure:
Cured for 6 1/2 days @ 34 - 40 deg in a brining bag.
Water 256 oz. 8 Qts
Kosher salt 22.5 oz. 3 Cups
Brown Sugar 30.0 oz. 4 Cups (packed)
Prague powder 3.3 oz. 16 Tsp.

The smoke:
Webber 22 1/2 in. charcoal w/hickory chips. (Indirect heat walled off w/aluminum foil.) Large drip pan with water. 8 1/2 hours to an IT of 137.
The ham was too large to smoke with cut side down.
Temp control was a b^?@*!
At the grill 215 to 250.
At the dome 240 to 270.

The bake:
Next day 4 1/2 hrs @ 350 to an IT of 158.
Scored (full length) and inserted cloves after about 2 hrs.
(I wonder if I should have waited another hour before scoring?

I ended up with about 7 lbs. of meat and a nice soup bone. I'm sure the skin and fat helped most of the meat stay moist. About an inch of the cut end was kind of dry, and had a black "skin" over it. The rest of it was very good. I had hoped it would come out even more moist, but no one complained. Four of us sat down and demolished 1/3+ of it in less than an hour. Now, two days later it's almost gone.

Questions:
Was the cure time and mixture OK?
What could have I done to protect the cut end from drying out?
What about the smoking temperatures?
Should I do the final bake longer at a lower temp?
Should I have let the smoker finish cooking the ham instead of finishing in the oven?
Any suggestions about temp control?

I would really appreciate any suggestions or comments. Luckily, there is a pig farm about 45 minutes away so I can get really fresh meat. I'm pleased this came out as well as it did, and will probably do more very soon. (The wife is wondering "MORE HAM?? What the h#!! are we are going to do with more ham?) Maybe I can freeze some and send to friends and relatives at the other end of the country.

FYI: For size comparison: The cutting board is 16 inches long.

Attachments

• ham number 1 001.jpg
    ham number 1 001.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 132
Thanks for putting that up - curing a ham is something I've been wanting to do - probably will either for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Looking forward to hearing what folks have to say.

I've had one go at it. Came out OK, but didn't brine long enough or inject well enough.

Look for your first time that's a fine effort and you should be proud of the result!

Cheers!

Bill

Crazy Harry asked: "did you use Prague powder #1 or #2?"
I used Prague powder #1. My understanding is that #2 should never be used with high heat (in excess of what temp??). True or false?

I just received a container of INST-A-CURE #1 from Sausagemaker. It's very pink, Prague #1 was not.

Back