MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #16
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

You could rub dirt on both the ribs and the brisket and I'm sure they would still taste amazing, but don't do that experiment on my behalf.
Your cooks always look killer, Sako. And when you decide to leave California and head down south, maybe I'll be able to come visit just as they are coming off the cooker.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #17
16Adams

I’m coachable and this was interesting.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be “the longer it rests the better it gets”
Amen

Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #18
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post

You're results will probably be more conclusive holding it in the Alto Shaam. Looking forward to it.
Seeing your "normal" bark compared to the bark from this tallow cook gives me pause...basically what I expected would happen. I may try to take mine a bit longer before wrapping to doubly set it up.

I've used a fat binder (Duck Fat Spray) on other random items and found that it prevented me from building the same crunchy bark that I'm used to. I tasted the tallow from the container, it does have that hint of wagyu fat that I'm used to from a wagyu brisket or steak, but I'm really skeptical about it adding much flavor wise to the end result, when you take into consideration how comparatively overpowering salt, pepper, and smoke can be.

I still think the biggest difference is closing the pores of the paper with fat, resulting in a different texture compared to "just" butcher paper. I cooked 12 briskets at once on my Shirley and I wrapped them all in foil for time's sake, they all turned out amazing. But I wrapped probably 85% of the way to "done" so I think I avoided the pot-roasty thing many people complain of with foil wraps. I still do butcher paper for 1 or 2 briskets.

Old 08-02-2021, 09:23 PM   #19
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

There’s no doubt you make a beauty of a brisket. Yours ain’t broke so no reason to fix it.

Don’t think I’m changing my process either.

Guess the Internet isn’t always right…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #20
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

I didn’t really think there was anything to the tallow idea. But thanks for doing an experiment on our behalf. And it still looks like another killer Sako meal.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #21
Qkooker
Knows what a fatty is.

I've never tried the tallow, but I've followed a few threads and I was going experiment for myself and the wife asked me, "why don't you do the same with the Parkay squeeze like you do the ribs?"
Well I covered the BP with squeeze and it was by far one of the best briskets I've done.
Qkooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qkooker View Post
I've never tried the tallow, but I've followed a few threads and I was going experiment for myself and the wife asked me, "why don't you do the same with the Parkay squeeze like you do the ribs?"
Well I covered the BP with squeeze and it was by far one of the best briskets I've done.
Does your wife have a YouTube channel and a mill scale pit?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #23
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I finally think I figured it out. You made your fortune in the cling film industry, right?!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #24
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Great thread, Sako. And one heck of a killer brisket, tallow or not. And ribs.