Insulation

S

slat

Hey I know some of you have mentioned insulating your banderas. I found a ceramic fiber insulation blanket at a place called Mcmaster Carr. The site is www.mcmaster.com and do a search for ceramic fiber insulation blanket and it will take you to the right page. The price seems reasonable, but does anyone with a little more knowledge think it would be worth doing. Need some input or ideas.

You know, I was thinking about a blanket last weekend when the wind was gusting.

Let me go check this out.

Yeah, I checked out the link and located the ceramic fiber stuff yesterdayday when I discovered to email you sent me. The 1/2" looked like the best value:

93315K42 Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket 6 Lbs/cu ft Density, 24" 25' X 1/2" Thk, White $ 38.50 Each

This stuff should probably be used like a temporary blanket to be used when weather conditions dictate and not permanently iinstalled. I would simply cut strips about 6" longer than necessary for all the sides and hold it down from the top of Bandera smoke chamber with bricks or maybe an angle iron 3-sided frame. Tape the 2 sides and back but not the front (obviously). Mcmasters also had some tape that should work well for this (4057K7 Ceramic Fiber Insulation Tape 3" X 25' X 1/32" Thk $ 35.93 Each ). The front piece would be a drape so you can get stuff in & out.

Keep us posted if you do this, okay? I just might want to make you an offer on any surplus material.

Mark (STL)

I was also thinking of making a wrap around, with velcro attachments, for my WSM.

I have one for the ECB which cuts out the wind effect and raises the temps about 60 degrees. Perfect for the WSM, set and forget. I'll use even less fuel.

Bill, I kind of liked the pic of your blue and flowery chair coushion insulation mod 8)

Here's another alternative, strips of cardboard. just not too close to the firebox.

Mark (STL)

Back