MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
B3
On the road to being a farker

Default Planning Some Freezer Meals

The wife and I are expecting a new baby in the next 3-4 weeks, so I'm planning on loading up the freezer with some ready-made meals this weekend and next. There's nothing like nuking a frozen package of chili at 3am after 2 hours of sleep...

So, two questions for all you Q-talkers:

1) Do you have a favorite dish that you like to freeze in a way that can be thawed and eaten, with no prep in between?

2) I have a precooked ham I want to use for one of these things. Do you have an answer to question 1) that uses ham?

Thanks brethren!
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

[QUOTE=B3;1951229]
1) Do you have a favorite dish that you like to freeze in a way that can be thawed and eaten, with no prep in between?

2) I have a precooked ham I want to use for one of these things. Do you have an answer to question 1) that uses ham?
QUOTE]

I don't have a frozen ham dish. I do freeze tacos, taco salad meat, slippy joe meat, chlil, turkey, chicken, soup, stew, pulled pork, burgers. I have some rib meat I'm going to freeze.

I have frozen ham after Easter or Christmas just to save it from going bad.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
btcg
Babbling Farker

Read the threads. People here freeze their extras using those Food Savor devices, and when they're needed, they throw a bag into a pan of boiling water: easy!

Just be sure to label the bag.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
cameraman
Babbling Farker

Funny, I don't think of ham as an ingredient in a dish, rather as a protien with sides accompanying it. Mac and cheese maybe, but otherwise, I got nothing. I do like to make pork or chicken green chile and vacusuck it.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
campdude
Babbling Farker

I grind leftover ham and mix with some ground dill pickle. Vacu suc it and freeze. When you thaw it, just mix with some mayo, and you have a tasty sammie spread. Just about anything can be vacu suc'ed and frozen for later use.
campdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Frenchy
Got Wood.

Always have leftovers when doing pulled pork. I put enough in a baggie to make 2 sammiches and freeze them. I take them to work.
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdude View Post
I grind leftover ham and mix with some ground dill pickle. Vacu suc it and freeze. When you thaw it, just mix with some mayo, and you have a tasty sammie spread. Just about anything can be vacu suc'ed and frozen for later use.
My mom used to do this with bologna -
That's what makes the world go round...
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Read the threads. People here freeze their extras using those Food Savor devices, and when they're needed, they throw a bag into a pan of boiling water: easy!

Just be sure to label the bag.
That sums it up! We have used our "foodsaver" to store ribs, pulled pork, turkey, steaks.... any and everything that can be cooked can be frozen and saved for later.

We had a nephew add a baby to the family and our gift to the happy couple was frozen meals from our cooker. They LOVED IT!!!
mtbchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
B3
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Read the threads. People here freeze their extras using those Food Savor devices
I do read the threads. I was not asking if it can be done, I was hoping to get people's favorites.

Anyways, I started Saturday morning, so I missed your post Pappy, but sloppy joe and tacos are good ideas. I also really like the meat-dill-mayo idea. After two long days in the kitchen, I've got our small freezer stocked with pulled pork, chili, thin sliced ham for sammiches, and a vegetable soup made with stock from the ham bone.

Thanks for the replies.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, frozen meals