Best Teriyaki Sauce

yoursangoma

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for the best teriyaki sauce I can buy at the store and throw on a stir fry without having to add a bunch of extra ingredients to make it taste delicious. Anything like this out there?

I usually make my own.
But if I was buying premade I would probably get Kikoman's.

If you are near a Costco, Kinder's Teriyaki sauce is wonderful. I usually put a little hot oil in it for extra spice

My personal choice are both kikoman teriyaki sauce and baste, or a great product is Bachan's Original Japanese Barbecue Sauce. Bachans is available at costco and whole foods, its a very close flavor profile as what you expect at a hibachi style restaurant.

I usually grab Kinders from Costco for store bought. Use it a lot for making jerky and wings for the kiddos.

Homemade is my jam but it is another step I skip often as Kinders or Kikomans because theirs is more than passable.

To me Teryaki isn't like many other sauces where it makes that big of a difference to make your own. BBQ, Ranch, Honey-mustard, Gravy, etc... sure.

One of the best I've bought was called Butcher Block. I don't see it that often. One of the biggest flavor issues, to me, in store bought is that they thicken it with corn starch. That adds a sort of "commercial" flavor. Just not very good.

It's super easy to make. Soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. If you have fresh ginger and garlic, great. But I've made it with dried granulated garlic and ginger powder and it's still awesome. Play with how much sugar and sugar you like. Add water if marinated. Usually 1 part Soy, 1 part Water, 1 part sugar,. About 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic per cup of Soy sauce. Leave out the water if making a glaze and reduce to thicken with more sugar if needed.

The one that I liked and Sam's carried for years and years, but no longer, was Mr Yoshida's. Perfect out of the bottle for marinating wings and made some killer wings on the grill. I see it is available on Walmart's website. Used to by the bigger size jug from Sam's for less than $10.00.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Yoshi...rinade-Cooking-Sauce-17-fl-oz-Bottle/10291578

Best price I have found is on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Yoshidas-Mar.../B00X828MKC/ref=psdc_6502774011_t1_B01A6VHRJE

It's worth a try if you can find it.

I'm not sure if it's exactly teriyaki sauce but oh-my-gawd its so good:

Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory Marinade and Cooking Sauce

The one that I liked and Sam's carried for years and years, but no longer, was Mr Yoshida's. Perfect out of the bottle for marinating wings and made some killer wings on the grill

It's worth a try if you can find it.

Yep, I've used this in the past to make Neil's Nuts. Can't find it anymore.

I loved putting Neil's nuts in my mouth.... :shocked:

Yep, I've used this in the past to make Neil's Nuts. Can't find it anymore.

I loved putting Neil's nuts in my mouth.... :shocked:

Our local Costco sells it now. Can also get 86 oz jug on Amazon for $18. I quite buying the smaller size and just go 86 oz now.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went with the Soy Vay and made a stir fry earlier this week. It had great flavor but the sauce was super thin. Do any of you who recommended this brand do anything to the sauce to thicken it? I'm assuming you add it to the stir fry while you are stir frying, or do you just add it after you have plated it?

TIA!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I went with the Soy Vay and made a stir fry earlier this week. It had great flavor but the sauce was super thin. Do any of you who recommended this brand do anything to the sauce to thicken it? I'm assuming you add it to the stir fry while you are stir frying, or do you just add it after you have plated it?

TIA!

Soy Vay, like Butcher Block, is more of a marinade than a glaze. As I mentioned in my earlier post, most commercial brands use corn starch to thicken. But I don't care for the flavor it adds. I generally just cook down my sauce until the sugar starts to caramelize. You may want to remove the meat, reduce the sauce then add meat back in.

Back