Favorite cheap steak

P0234

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My go to used to be flat iron steak. Then like brisket prices got out of control. Now I feel like a lost puppy dog. A good sirloin is what I gravitate to now but I miss the flavor of the flat iron.

What's your favorite budget friendly cut?

I have never had it personally, but I heard Malcom Reed talk about how good a chuck steak is. He also said it is very inexpensive.

My Mom would get really thin 1/4" round steak then bread it in (homemade) Italian bread crumbs. Then do a quick fry on it. Now I have to get this back into my rotation

I'm still with the flat iron steaks. Even though they are more expensive then they used to be, they are still relatively "cheap". Plus, it is just me and the wife now, so one of those prepackaged steaks is two meals for us.

Either that of a good marinated flank steak.

Last night we had bacon wrapped sirloin (8 oz) which I believe come from the meat case at Fareway just before expiring!!
Did some research on meat tenderizing techniques and as most Asian places " velveting"
use baking soda paste I found a procedure that takes 1 teasp. baking soda stirred into one cup water, cover meat with it for 15 min. then rinse and dry before hitting the grill.
Worked pretty good but need more trys at tit I think.
Ed

Chuck Eye if you can find one, you will not be disappointed...

Early in our marriage wife would buy cheap steaks. Really cheap(top round bottom round the sirloin tip whatever was on sale)She’d bread it and sear then place in a crockpot with carrots potatoes onions on bottom of crockpot, layer the cheap steaks on top then cover with chopped diced tomatoes. 8-10 hours crockpot.

(Our only outdoor cooker was a grocery store Hibachi)

Last edited:
Pork Steaks cut from the front shoulder and seared quickly. I know it's not beef, but can taste fairly similar if seasoned with salt and pepper, or my favorite, Carne Crosta. Sometimes I will Jaccard them to help with tenderness.

Sirloin is my go-to for cheap steaks. I’m hit or miss with doing chuck steak. Sometimes they’re awesome, sometimes they’re tough or don’t taste very good. Same temps/method etc. I think because the chuck is such a large cut, there’s different areas of it that come out better. I just don’t know which ones.

I've bounced from one cheap steak to the next. They all seem to sky-rocket in price afterward. The upshot is that people are buying these so-called cheaper cuts and the traditional cuts have dropped in price. Last time I was in Costco, I'd gotten filet mignon. At about $10/lb, it was cheaper than the strips, cheaper than the ribeyes, cheaper than the boneless beef ribs and flap meat. There was not one iota of waste on them and they were quite tender as a baby's bottom. I hope people don't discover this cut and the price shoots up. :roll:

It used to be chuck-eye until everyone else figured out they were awesome.

Now, it's through the roof like every other cut of beef.

I always liked hanger steaks, but the price of them now is absurd, still like a first cut chuck steak, some are more chewier then others but usually pretty good.

yes the prices on a lot of odd cuts are crazy, since when does ox tail cost more then a rib eye....

Anymore? Burgers as steaks. Mixed with bacon and cheddar, Portabellos and Gouda, delicious. No bun. Make them last night with smoked cheddar and bacon mixed in with ground brisket flat.

I can usually get filet or ribeye $6-7/lb if I'm patient and diligent with my obligatory passes through the meat dept at whatever store I'm at that sells food. I don't set out to buy "cheap cuts" per se, I just wait until the cuts I like are cheap then stack deep :becky:

I like flat iron, hanger, Denver, chuckeye, etc just fine, they just aren't really "cheap" at the stores I frequent, so I only buy them when I have a hankering for that specific cut.

When the sirloin steaks are on sale by me they're not too expensive. I marinate them overnight and they're pretty good.

With Chuck, I prefer to smoke and pull it rather than grill as steaks.

I remember when skirt steak was an inexpensive cut. I still love it, and buy it occasionally, but the price is always through the roof.

I remember when skirt steak was an inexpensive cut. I still love it, and buy it occasionally, but the price is always through the roof.

Me too, then it approached or exceeded the price of ribeye. I don't like it THAT much. Ribeye makes for great fajitas, though :thumb:

I can usually get filet or ribeye $6-7/lb if I'm patient and diligent with my obligatory passes through the meat dept at whatever store I'm at that sells food. I don't set out to buy "cheap cuts" per se, I just wait until the cuts I like are cheap then stack deep :becky:

I like flat iron, hanger, Denver, chuckeye, etc just fine, they just aren't really "cheap" at the stores I frequent, so I only buy them when I have a hankering for that specific cut.

Around here ribeye is on sale for 6-8$ somewhere good (Publix, Kroger, etc) at least once a month. Every time I get on a ‘cheap cut’ fix and go back to ribeye I wonder why I ever left. Buy half a ribeye at $6/lb and cut your own steaks.

London Broil. Marinated, seasoned, grilled medium rare, and sliced thin across the grain. Can feed a a small crew with a decent sized one.
I think it's considered part of the sirloin...
View attachment 186163

Last edited:
Back