9 hours St Louis ribs?

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Right now I'm at the seven and a half hour mark for the St Louis ribs.They've been cooking consistently through and through at 250°. I've mopped them twice and I'm not opening and peeking and allowing them to cook. I just checked the temperature and they're at a hundred and sixty seven degrees. I turned them on the side and try to twist the bone and bend them and they're not done. What I shoot for with ribs is 203°. I have never had ribs take this long to cooked unwrapped. I get it, some guys don't care and will pull the ribs off the pit before they're fully done. I'm the guy that's always trying to perfect and cook the absolute best that I can on a pit. I won't compromise! Have y'all ever had ribs take this long to cook unwrapped? My thermostat is very accurate the ribs are not burning and I don't see why it would take this long to cook. rain? I guess I'm getting pissed off, because I'm hungry. I might as well just find something in the kitchen to eat because it doesn't look like these ribs are going to be done for the next hour and a half.

That’s a long time for ribs, mine are done in 4 hours max.

Sometimes you just get an old-ass rack of ribs! I cook my spare ribs unwrapped at 250 degrees usually for 4.5 hours to 5.5 hours to perfect doneness, but every now and then you get a rack that does not want to comply, and if that's the case I would wrap in foil with a little BBQ sauce until they pass the bend test.

Sometimes you just get an old-ass rack of ribs! I cook my spare ribs unwrapped at 250 degrees usually for 4.5 hours to 5.5 hours to perfect doneness, but every now and then you get a rack that does not want to comply, and if that's the case I would wrap in foil with a little BBQ sauce until they pass the bend test.

so you're saying this is an old hog from costco? These came out of that three pack spare rib deal. The ribs look delicious they're not burnt they're just taking forever to cook

Assuming you are close to sea level, those ribs should of been done 3 hours ago. You mentioned they aren't burning on the outside, there is no way that your thermo is accurate. if it was, those ribs would be charcoal by now. My best guess is your grate level temps are most likely below 200F and you are warming your meat to death.

Young pig, old pig, doesn't matter. The oldest pig ribs in the world would still be burnt beyond recognition if you were actually cooking at 250F for 7.5+ hours

Check to ensure your pit temp and meat temp is accurate. You were still in the stall at 7.5 hours while cooking at 250°f???

Last edited:
I agree with checking your pit thermometer. I once found out that I was getting bad readings on my thermometer and it turned out it just needed some fresh batteries.

Where is your thermometer in relation to the cooking surface?

I have come across too many ribs lately that are also taking well over an extra hour to give in. The common demoniator has been no name ribs. Cross referenced temps on all cooks too be it on the MB560, Rec tec or WSM. I have been hearing a lot about if the animal is stressed upon slaughter it can make a difference. There will be blood spots and tougher meat.

I have come across too many ribs lately that are also taking well over an extra hour to give in. The common demoniator has been no name ribs. Cross referenced temps on all cooks too be it on the MB560, Rec tec or WSM. I have been hearing a lot about if the animal is stressed upon slaughter it can make a difference. There will be blood spots and tougher meat.

7.5 hours in and the ribs don't appear to be burning at all on the outside.. I don't care how stressed the animal was, their ribs would still be incinerated after 7.5 hours at 250F. Something is up with cooking temp readings.

1 of 2 things

1 being your temps are off and your thermometer needs recalibrated

2 below is a pic of your rib

main-qimg-a6e0027911348dd393b5b9b04153acba

My temperatures were very accurate. I had the Auber grill probe attached to the grill grate. The lowest temperature it's seen was 229 and the highest was 260. Again, there was no wrapping and I only mopped it twice. I have never seen ribs take this long to cook. They came out just about perfect.

ncYZRyi.jpg

oDtS9HT.jpg

I had three racks of baby backs on last weekend and those took 6+ hours. No clue on this but it's not the first time recently. I'm starting to wonder if it is possible there is a pathway the heat is taking that somehow hits my therms but bounces around or over the meat. Kind frustrating, I agree.

I had three racks of baby backs on last weekend and those took 6+ hours. No clue on this but it's not the first time recently. I'm starting to wonder if it is possible there is a pathway the heat is taking that somehow hits my therms but bounces around or over the meat. Kind frustrating, I agree.

Mine might have something to do with this heat deflector aftermarket shield that I purchased for this wsm-22 Dot it's a flat steel plate with grooves cut out to deflect the heat and it does a really good job at doing it dot maybe they might have something to do with it.Tonight I'm going to do a spatchcock chicken and I'm going to run a separate probe along with this Auber and see what the differences are.

Man what a beat down. One of two things. The thermo isn't reading correctly or the temp at the meat isn't as high as where the thermo is placed. I hate it when bbq doesn't do what I tell it to do!

I've cooked ribs for that same amount of time and they were the best that I've done.
Enjoy!

Back