BBQ Smoke Shack - What else do I need?

musicmanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a LSG 24x48 on order, and I thought to use the time to build a roof for my BBQ area. This way I have some shade in the summer, and rain protection in the winter.

I already plan on a mobile cart with storage so I'll have a place for tools, thermometers, wrapping meat, etc. Also I'll have a weather proof patio bin to store lump charcoal.

But I wanted to ask all the experts out there that have set these up, what else do I need? I'm guessing I'm forgetting something and would appreciate hearing everyone's ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.jpg
    IMG_3504.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 368
I wish I had an electric outlet in mine. If I ever do run permanent electric it would include a light. I have an extension cord to run a string of Christmas lights.

That looks really good!

Your going to need a good place to store your wood. Also if you have the propane assist you'll want to store that somewhere. It doesn't go under the cooking chamber.

Poker to tend the fire, small broom to clean fire box, something to scrape ashes into all need to go somewhere, maybe your mobile cart.

Last edited:
I'll echo the power, and I recommend you have at least 4 outlets. They are cheap to put in but come in very handy.

I would probably cut some galvanized steel roof panels to layer over your fence, at least around the area where your fire box will be. Would hate to see a stray ash or spark set your shack on fire!

You guys all have such great ideas. Power, lights, radio and fan would be fantastic. I'm trying to concoct a way to get power out there without too much cost.

It's funny, the galvanized roof panels I used were 12' and I had to cut down to about 10'. So I have a bunch of 2 foot sections left over which would work perfect for protecting the fence. Great idea!!

I would need a table. Thinking like a half a picnic table along the fence with a bench to sit on...Along with electricity...

Ideally, you could run 12/2 UF Romex w/gnd underground thru EMT, or direct bury it from a free house 20A breaker to a small panel in the cookhouse. That would give you 20A to split to outlets,Lights, etc. GFIs mandatory.
If you only have 15A service available, you COULD use 14/2 UF instead of 12/2 UF.
EMT not really necessary if you have UF cable, but I recommend it

Chuck

Ideally, you could run 12/2 UF Romex w/gnd underground thru EMT, or direct bury it from a free house 20A breaker to a small panel in the cookhouse. That would give you 20A to split to outlets,Lights, etc. GFIs mandatory.
If you only have 15A service available, you COULD use 14/2 UF instead of 12/2 UF.

Chuck

Just for reference, a 20A breaker will support 2400 watts total, with no more than 2400W on a single 20A Outlet, or 1800W on a single 15A outlet.

NOTE: this all assumes that you don’t need 220V. If you do, PM me.

Last edited:
20 amps capability is a good idea. It kind of goes along with the multiple outlets. I have five on my pavilion. one in each side of the outside roof joists for lights and one on the post that also has switches for the fan and the lights. I have used them all.

Chuck

I wouldn't recommend installing EMT underground. PVC or GRC if you're going to put pipe underground.

Back