MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #31
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I made it through 3 episodes so far. It's hard to have a format that appeals to all viewers and I like the fact they all use the same arsenal of cookers.... but from watching and listening to the comments, it looked like they didn't spend any time showing the cooks how each cooker works. One of the guys looked at the pellet grill and said something like "I don't even know how to turn this thing on, or where the wood goes" and one of the gals was open lid grilling on a BGE while inside doing prep work.

There is sort of an Iron Chef feel since they all draw from common ingredients, and sometimes the theme was specific, like 'ribs', then another was something like 'two meats and one side' which let the cooks use some imagination. At first I thought the time limits were too short especially when things like plate ribs were one of the choices, but that added some suspense watching some struggle to cook a 7 hour meat in less than 3 hours.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #32
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

It satisfies the craving for BBQ show but I still think the original bbq pitmasters was the best.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #33
padge31
Full Fledged Farker

What happened to Melissa Cookston, she doesn't look very good. Maybe it is the makeup or the glowing white fake teeth.
padge31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #34
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

I didn't hate the show, but didn't love it either. Manufactured TV competition and all. Mostly skipped through it. Didn't really know any of the judges. One lady was super full of herself, but entertaining I suppose. The show was what you expect out of any reality show. Personalities. Generally though it felt like the food took the stage in the end which was nice.Their food products were certainly interesting as were the original challenges pitted to them each round.

I'd have killed for a go at that kitchen and any one of their challenges. Looked sublime. I bet I could have managed all those grills. Not sure I could have handled much more than meat though. Sides are hard.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #35
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Still no answer on why they had to wear the same clothes for every episode. Unsettling.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #36
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Still no answer on why they had to wear the same clothes for every episode. Unsettling.
Maybe their set clothes for the day. IDK Otherwise they filmed it super fast such that nobody got a chance to change clothes lol. Banging it out so to speak.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #37
eric21
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : eric

They likely wore the same clothes because they did reshoots and stitching together of different days into a single "day", and the producers don't want to have to keep track of wardrobes.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:42 PM   #38
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric21 View Post
They likely wore the same clothes because they did reshoots and stitching together of different days into a single "day", and the producers don't want to have to keep track of wardrobes.
This does make sense. Did they buy everyone 10 sets of the same outfit? Or would everyone have to change clothes at the end of filming each day so someone could take them all to the laundry?
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #39
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

I watch most of the food competition shows. They are mildly amusing, decent background noise, and I might learn a thing or two.

I would love to know about the 'behind the scenes' of most of these. I've read on a lot of them that the actual judging is done HOURS after the food is coked. If you look at something like MasterChef, the kitchens are spotless by time the tastings begin. I think the outfit part has to do with editing and cutting, but I generally notice that in the 'confessionals.' It makes more sense there, than it does during the actual cooking part of the show.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #40
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I am assuming that this show was filmed over several days and if that is right then I wonder why they made everyone wear the same clothes every day. Did they buy everyone 10 sets of the same outfit? Or would everyone have to change clothes at the end of filming each day so someone could take them all to the laundry?
i said same thing why ???
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #41
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

i just want that barn , and that cooler locker !! freaking nice !!
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #42
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm forcing myself to finish watching.
Cookson really believes all that is said of her and she'll be glad to repeat it for you...
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 07:57 AM   #43
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Drinking game:

Shot of tequila and a beer every time the phrase "flavor profile" is uttered.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #44
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I finished episode 1- that bourbon helped a lot.

I'll probably finish the series- but there's a lot of good stuff on Hulu, Amazon, Disney+ and Netflix that I need to get to first.

Melissa C makes me miss Myron M... and that's saying something.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #45
ToOTHroTT
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

It was ok but to say they are backyard cookers is bs no way a typical backyard cooker knows all those different recipes or what every single food was. I still think bbq pitmasters was better. Was entertaining thou.