MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Default Corned Beef?

So, I either buy a pre-corned brisket or corn one myself. (Penzey's has a good mix)
I'll still do that this year, however, I was wondering what other beef can be corned - well any beef can be corned - but what other beef can be corned and still have good "corned beef" likeness?

Do you think any of these would make decent corned beef?

Eye of the Round?
Arm roast?
Pike's Peak Roast?

and would you
smoke/grill?
boil/crock?
sous vide & reverse sear?

Thanks
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I’ve had corned round, store bought, and I felt that it was dry and the texture was wrong, but my standard is brisket. Beef navel, if you can find it, is also great, and what is traditionally used for pastrami.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Even if using a precorned brisket more marbling is a good trait. I choose the point but my wife wants it leaner...I usually lose...

Try the arm roast. A good balance of lean and fat I think.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Of non-brisket corned beef products.... I've corned chuck, round/rump roasts and short ribs. I've eaten corned and pastramied navel, but it's nearly impossible to get in my market. For corned beef I sometimes braise it, but my preferred method is pressure cooking for tenderness and the broth is amazing for dunking or to make Reuben soup. For pastrami I smoke to about 160°ish and my favorite finish method is a pressure finish. A steam finish would be second, but it takes some time.

Here is a corned round roast that was pastramied and chilled, the lower fat content is noticeable

If you butterfly out a Prime grade brisket point with marbling anywhere close to this, you should be very happy.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

I was in the mood to experiment. I had a few tri tips in the freezer, so into the brine it went. I like to smoke to about 160 or so and finish in the instant pot. The tri fit well in my 8qt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #6
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have several prime tri tips in the freezer.I think I will corn one.I love them but the family would rather have traditional steaks.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 04:06 AM   #7
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

On a whim I once purchased a whole beef knuckle at Costco, was about 16 pounds. When faced with cooking it I had one of those wtf was I thinking moments. I decided to corn it, took about two weeks. It was great.
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Well if you decide to buy pre made, Aldi is having the points on sale next week for $1.99 lb. We have gotten corned beef from there before and will be stocking up at that price

Old 02-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

Technically, you can corn any of those cuts (or anything really). I'd go with arm roast if you have one, they are so underrated. I don't care for pikes peak really, I grind mine. Round is probably too lean for traditional corned beef as you know it, but I love me some eye of round thrown on a slicer thin, so I'd say that would be cool even with hardly any fat (if you have a slicer) on rye bread.

I've corned/cured a lot of nontraditional cuts, some were good, some were weird....corned pork spare ribs...definitely weird...that was a one off.

Or....Corn them all and let us know how it went!

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
irishboy209
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Of non-brisket corned beef products.... I've corned chuck, round/rump roasts and short ribs. I've eaten corned and pastramied navel, but it's nearly impossible to get in my market. For corned beef I sometimes braise it, but my preferred method is pressure cooking for tenderness and the broth is amazing for dunking or to make Reuben soup. For pastrami I smoke to about 160°ish and my favorite finish method is a pressure finish. A steam finish would be second, but it takes some time.

Here is a corned round roast that was pastramied and chilled, the lower fat content is noticeable

If you butterfly out a Prime grade brisket point with marbling anywhere close to this, you should be very happy.

I've always done it start to finish in the pressure cooker with amazing results but I'll curiosity where you smoke till 160 how long are you throwing it in the pressure cooker?
irishboy209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #11
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendaryhog View Post
I'd go with arm roast if you have one, they are so underrated.
Ok, if I do the arm roast. Sous vide and reverse sear or instant pot?
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

If you corn the arm roast I'd do sous vide 16 hours at 130-135 Fahrenheit and then sear. It will be like the texture of super tender steak with deep beef flavor. Or, if you are super paranoid about surface bacteria you can sear first then sous vide, but at that long of a temp it should be pasteurized (and also it is already corned, salt kills). Either way, the texture should be the same and I'd sear it afterward if you want to get a crust on it on a screaming hot cast iron pan.

Keep the juice from the bag when you are done if you want to make a funky gravy. Best of luck!

I don't have any instant pot experience, but a lot of folks on here do. They can point you the right way if you're going that route.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishboy209 View Post
I've always done it start to finish in the pressure cooker with amazing results but I'll curiosity where you smoke till 160 how long are you throwing it in the pressure cooker?
I live at 5400' above sea level so I process a 4 pound pastrami 35 to 40 minutes at 15 psi. If I want a very tender product, I'll go 45 or 50 minutes. One of the reasons that a steam finish takes a while for me is that water boils at 203°.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote