Flap Meat?

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
Heard about it a few years ago. Supposedly similar to hangar steak, but not as big of a pain to trim? Was at RD and finally saw some, so I bought the small package. I assume it's a hot n fast grill like hanger or skirt? Any other tips & tricks?

8okecp1h.jpg

Andy,

Thanks for the info, going to try it! Never really thought about this cut before.

Thanks,
Greg

Andy,

Thanks for the info, going to try it! Never really thought about this cut before.

Thanks,
Greg
Yeah, stopped at RD on the way home from the winter bash to get some half pans. Next thing you know, there's beef short ribs, flap meat, tri tips, STL spares & shrimp on my cart. No idea how they got there... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Never tried it before, we'll see how it is.

Andy,

It was great meeting you today! Now don't go and blame me for talking about RD for your purchases today :-D

Thanks,
Greg

Heard about it a few years ago. Supposedly similar to hangar steak, but not as big of a pain to trim? Was at RD and finally saw some, so I bought the small package. I assume it's a hot n fast grill like hanger or skirt? Any other tips & tricks?

8okecp1h.jpg
Curious what the price per pound was?

I was in the RD in Kansas City last weekend and noticed some good prices on some meats. Wasn't able to purchase any as we had not planned to go there, but went on a whim because the other couple had never been. Will be going back in May though.

Thanks,

Robert

You did good Andy!

Besides the funky name, IMHO flap rules over flank, hanger, skirt or inside skirt cuts. I've had all the similar cuts and I'll take flap all day. It's readily available in CA and is the go to for carne asada here. So much so that most of the time it's more expensive than ribeye.

You have to do a little trimming (not complicated at all) and throw it on the grill for hot and fast like a steak.

:nod:

AGa9WJMh.jpg

Cut into thick strips are also an option

20130627_201156.jpg

20130627_202040.jpg

Cook it on a grill. About the only cut I like grilled on a gasser

4Z9fs0Kh.jpg

Or griddle

f9tAFphh.jpg

E5Gz7yth.png

They also make a killer kabob

Vr09EIsh.jpg

7SdsVzMh.jpg

C6OrNRYh.jpg

You did good Andy!

Besides the funky name, IMHO flap rules over flank, hanger, skirt or inside skirt cuts. I've had all the similar cuts and I'll take flap all day. It's readily available in CA and is the go to for carne asada here. So much so that most of the time it's more expensive than ribeye.

You have to do a little trimming (not complicated at all) and throw it on the grill for hot and fast like a steak.

Wow, thanks! Lot of good ideas. Love me a nice big piece of skirt on a bed of sauteed onions. Sounds like this might fit the bill nicely since most of the inside skirt here has been pretty lousy as of late and outside skirt is well over $10/lb. if you can find it.

Wow, thanks! Lot of good ideas. Love me a nice big piece of skirt on a bed of sauteed onions. Sounds like this might fit the bill nicely since most of the inside skirt here has been pretty lousy as of late and outside skirt is well over $10/lb. if you can find it.

Options are endless with this cut. All the other cuts mentioned included skirt are and inside skirt (hard to come by here also) are great but flap has a distinct awesome flavor that I prefer over the others. Obviously cut against the grain.

Here in Massachusetts they cut flap meat into strips and call it sirloin tips. Good stuff.

That looks amazing! Great cook!

Did it turn out good and tender? No mater what I do it seems like I struggle with tenderness when it comes to skirt, flat iron, or hangar, and one other that I can't think of right now.

That looks amazing! Great cook!

Did it turn out good and tender? No mater what I do it seems like I struggle with tenderness when it comes to skirt, flat iron, or hangar, and one other that I can't think of right now.

Thanks!

I think the key is to cook it to at least a medium and most importantly cut against the grain.

Back