Anyone cook brisket point to pulled beef consistency?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'd normally use chuck roast for this, but I have an ulterior motive for this test so wondering what temperature I'd need to take the point for a pulled consistency? Thinking 220ish … thoughts?

If you are a foil wrapper, maybe add a little extra moisture to the foil and go to a little higher Internal temp. I have no stats to proof it, but 220 sounds a little high to me.

And I have "overcooked" brisket (not intentionally) to the fall apart stage and it tastes great.

I'm not sure you can cook meat to 220 without utterly destroying it. water boils off at 212 so to get to 220 it would literally be leather.

just cook until tender and if it doesn't pull just chop it

Several years ago we left a fully cooked packer in a 170° oven overnight by mistake. Probably 8-10 hours, maybe a bit more.
It was in a foil covered pan with broth.

Flat and point made the most wonderful pulled beef I have ever had!!!
Tender, moist, and so tasty.

Good Eats

TIM

Added on Edit...
I thing "time" is the key, not high "temp".

Last edited:
I'm not sure you can cook meat to 220 without utterly destroying it. water boils off at 212 so to get to 220 it would literally be leather.

just cook until tender and if it doesn't pull just chop it

Good point (no pun intended) ... that makes sense thermodynamically.

I like Kapn's comment .... don't necessarily need to get to a specific IT as opposed to cooking it a long time.

Instead of trying to make pulled beef, make "chopped beef" Just slice as normal, then cut it up. We see a lot of chopped beef offerings in Texas, and that is what they do.

I've been doing this for nearly every brisket I've made since last year's Super Bowl. Full packers though.

I wrap around 170. Take it off smoker around 205-210. I don't vent the foil but rather wrap it in 2-3 more sheets of foil and then a few towels and into the cooler. Longer the hold the better.

It's great because the point mixes in with the flat once you shred/pull all of it. Lots of juices left over to pour over all of it at the end as well. Seems like the shredded/pulled beef absorbs those juices better, leading to better reheats for leftovers, in my experience.

Back