Wicked Edge Knife Sharpener...WOW!

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Since knives are a BBQ tool, I thought I'd post this here. Every once in a while, I read a thread asking about knife sharpening machines and jigs. A couple of months ago I got hooked on the Worksharp Ken Onion sharpener, so I got one. As a result, my interest grew and I started doing some reading and watching online. The more I researched, the more I found that Wicked Edge Sharpening Systems were arguably one of the best out there, so I got one of those.
Now, if you're looking for a "best bang for your buck" kind of sharpener, then I don't think this is the one, as it is not cheap and runs anywhere from a few hundred to just over $1k. That said, you can start out with the basics and then add as you like. If you're the type that wants a close to perfect bevel angle and a mirror polish on your blades, then that's who Wicked Edge is made for. Also, in experienced hands, one can go from dull, to razor sharp, in minutes.
I've been working with this sharpener for just a few weeks now. Although there is a learning curve and Q & A on the forum is encouraged, after only a few knives under my belt, I've been able to produce mirror edges or bevels, with the ability to whittle hair, while holding only one side of the strand, which is one of the ultimate tests of a sharp knife. I'm truly not tooting my horn, but rather letting folks know that even someone of my limited dexterity can make this sharpener work.
Here's a couple of pics. One of the system itself and another of a very cheap chef knife that I picked up at Walmart to practice on. Hopefully, you'll be able to make out the mirror edge on the knife.

Probably the best system out there, but pricey. If I had a bunch of expensive knives, or wanted to start a sharpening business, I would get one. I will stick with my KO for now though.

Probably the best system out there, but pricey. If I had a bunch of expensive knives, or wanted to start a sharpening business, I would get one. I will stick with my KO for now though.

Keeping my KO as well, for those blades the WE doesn't work well with.

Which version did you get? In other words, if I want to get knives razor sharp, what’s the best model to achieve that without overpaying?

Which version did you get? In other words, if I want to get knives razor sharp, what’s the best model to achieve that without overpaying?

Jeff, get on the Wicked Edge forum and ask questions in the "Getting Started" section. Folks on the forum have been extremely helpful. There are several versions and you can always add abrasives. Also, WE worked with me to give me the exact system that I wanted, by mixing and matching. Oldawan.com will also do that. All I can say is, it was worth the $ for me and is giving me exactly what I wanted.

thanks for sharing. I stared at this system for WAY TOO long a while back and thought, "I'm crazy thinking about that" You've just convinced me that I'm not that crazy.
Having really sharp knives makes life in the kitchen much easier...now to convince the wife

It took some convincing for me as well, however the design of the WE made more sense to me than the other similar designs. They are actually not much cheaper, if at all, once different stones are added.
I truly do get the speed and results of the Tormek. I have one and spent some time trying to get it to work for me. I could always get very good results for user knives. That said, it always bothered be that I'd end sharpening with an equivalent 1K stone, then strop the rest of the way to what I consider sharp. For me, it would be like sanding wood up to 120 grit, then counting on the finish to level out the grooves. It's kind of a weird situation that most knife users would be very happy with the edge a Tormek produces. Problem is, most knife users would never pay $700+ for the machine.
For me, after learning how to hand sharpen plane irons and chisels using stones, I learned what truly sharp edges and bevels should look like and I'm not even an expert at it. So after that experience, it's tuff for me to expect less of an edge on my knives. With hand sharpening, I go to 15K ceramic, then take a few passes on the strop and get a gleaming polish. That's what I want for my knives.

Last edited:
Ya...there are several of the same basic design, almost like a mechanically controlled hand sharpening jig. What I like about the WE is it's stout design and ability to work both sides of the bevel, without having to flip the knife. I've seen that they will all give beautiful results, just at different effort level and maybe learning curve.

When you start reprofling blades the 50/80 stones will come in handy. I see you don't have a set in your box. Mine only go up to 3micron on glass platens (I do see some of those in your box). For what I do that's plenty polished. I also have the low angle adapter & 12" rods. The LAA has been a bit of a pain as it likes to slide up in the vise as I'm using it. Granted, I've only used it once since I've had it...time will tell whether I like it or not. I do have some Japanese steel that need lower angles so I hope it works out.

As for sharpening cleavers...I've yet to find one I haven't been able to put an edge on. I have no less than three at home that all get the Wicked Edge treatment. I normally go either 25 or 30 degrees and typically stop with the 200 or 400 grit stones.

A 14" knife is long, but I believe my 12" rods would accommodate. If not, you can easily sharpen a portion and move the blade to finish.

I really like mine. It does such a good job I sometimes forget when to stop. Not everything needs to be mirror polished (although it does look good). I often put a mirror edge on a knife at a lower angle than needed for the aesthetics...then I go back an put a micro bevel to actually get the job of cutting & longevity done.

Now that's someone with more experience than me. No, I don't have 50/80 stones...yet. I wanted to get more into the films and strops first. I got the 1500 diamonds and love those. I may also go Bolsa strops in higher grits, then finish with leather in finer grits.

I bought a WE sharperner on here a while back when it popped up in the classifieds. Very happy with it except it is a Gen 1. I need to see what it will take to get the newer upgrades. I have a bunch of Japanese knives that need attention. I have never been on the WE forum so I need to check that out.

I bought a WE sharperner on here a while back when it popped up in the classifieds. Very happy with it except it is a Gen 1. I need to see what it will take to get the newer upgrades. I have a bunch of Japanese knives that need attention. I have never been on the WE forum so I need to check that out.

Oh man! Lucky you! That Gen 1 can be upgraded for sure. You see on Youtube, there are folks doing great work with Gen 1s.
The website has been very, very helpful and I'm learning a lot from them. There is so much info on the site...hours and hours of reading.

I was VERY close to buying a WE Pro a few months ago through a deal that would get me one at about 600. But, fought the urge and upgraded my KO with the grinder attachment hoping it would keep me satisfied for a while longer. It absolutely did, but I WILL HAVE a WE Pro at some point. Just not in the next year or two.

I think I am going to upgrade the arms and angle bar and just buy more stones. I got a low angle adapter for christmas. The new clamping bar is nice but not 100% neccesary

I think I am going to upgrade the arms and angle bar and just buy more stones. I got a low angle adapter for christmas. The new clamping bar is nice but not 100% neccesary

Matter of fact, all the Youtubes I've seen have all been with the "older" clamp. The still sell that clamp, so it's not really old. I originally bought that clamp, but when I got it, I figured, since I'm starting out fresh, I may as well get the latest. WE was more than happy to swap things out for me, to get me what I wanted. Besides, it's all in the stones anyways and how you work them. Looking back, I could have gotten more stones and such, instead of the Gen 3 clamp, but oh well. I think you're doing the right thing.

I was VERY close to buying a WE Pro a few months ago through a deal that would get me one at about 600. But, fought the urge and upgraded my KO with the grinder attachment hoping it would keep me satisfied for a while longer. It absolutely did, but I WILL HAVE a WE Pro at some point. Just not in the next year or two.

And you know what? By that time WE will have improvements on what they have now, so you won't be losing a thing. How are all you guys finding these great deals? Day late and a $ short.

Now that's someone with more experience than me. No, I don't have 50/80 stones...yet. I wanted to get more into the films and strops first. I got the 1500 diamonds and love those. I may also go Bolsa strops in higher grits, then finish with leather in finer grits.

I thought I saw a 1500/glass platen in there. I may get one of those so that I can put my 6micron on the glass, and then have a 3 & 1.5 (or 1) micron on my platen set. I haven't tried the balsa, but I like the lapping films better than messing with the leather strops.

It's fun.

Back