85 gallon UDS owners

Jiggs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just bought a new 85 gallon drum. It's a big, beautiful, clean, yellow drum. I can't wait
to get started on it.

I built a 55 gal. UDS a couple years ago so I've got one build already under my built.
For those of you with 85 gal. UDS's, did you use the same basic specs as a regular one?

MY 55 has 3 - 3/4" intakes (one ball valve and two capped), and I used 8 - 1/2" holes in the lid
for the exhaust.

Are these specs ok to use on an 85? I'm not into going mod crazy. I want to stick as close as
possible to an original drum smoker. Do these bigger drums run as good as a 55? I'll get some
pictures up when I'm done, but I also need to order a cooking grate.

Same build, bigger drum. :thumb:

The yellow ones cook better.

Attachments

• UDS Pic's 078.jpg
    UDS Pic's 078.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 237
Very good to hear! Thank you. I hope to have it finished by the weekend.

That is exactly what I did to the bottom of my 85, yellow as a matter of fact. I did put 2 each 2" holes on top for exhaust with pipe instead of the direct holes though. Got 2 Rome123 grates supported by 1/4" x 3" machine bolts. Old weber 18" kettle for the fire, that's what I had available.

This drum is the deal, it's everything it's raved to be. It's amazing... like having electric dials on the intakes for temp control.

I just bought a new 85 gallon drum. It's a big, beautiful, clean, yellow drum. I can't wait
to get started on it.

I built a 55 gal. UDS a couple years ago so I've got one build already under my built.
For those of you with 85 gal. UDS's, did you use the same basic specs as a regular one?

MY 55 has 3 - 3/4" intakes (one ball valve and two capped), and I used 8 - 1/2" holes in the lid
for the exhaust.

Are these specs ok to use on an 85? I'm not into going mod crazy. I want to stick as close as
possible to an original drum smoker. Do these bigger drums run as good as a 55? I'll get some
pictures up when I'm done, but I also need to order a cooking grate.

Big Drum Smoker clones are how I roll!

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0525_1.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

If I get bored with black, I'll paint it yellow and let you know if it cooks any differently. My 85 has four 3/4" intakes and eight 1/2" exhaust vents in the lid. My 55's and 15 have three 3/4" intakes.

Looking for 85 gallon parts

I have an 85 stainless that I got off a buddy. I am looking to replace the grates, anyone have a source? It has 4-3/4 intake holes and 8-1/2 exhaust.

Back