MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
BriGreentea
On the road to being a farker

Default Is resting brikset isulated overrated

I'm only asking because I've seen many bbq restaurants just take out the brisket when they think it's done and start slicing. Perhaps some are resting it on a cutting board for an hour or two then slicing and I'm just watching edited video? I think I tried doing this long ago and was very tender but tasteless. How do they do it? Do some use electric warmers or a heat box?

I was thinking about my next one going about 8 hours then wrapping in butcher paper then another 2 hours until probe tender in the flat then just let it rest on my cutting board for another hour or so, remove it then slice?

I don't think I'm gaining anything using my nice new oven and not in a hurry to get a new cooler which thought gave me great results with foil back in the day or paper even. I just don't understand what I was gaining about keeping it warm for 2-4 hours while it's turning into pot roast and would like to use my oven for side dishes if needed.
BriGreentea is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Most restaurants have to cook ahead of time and hold for several hours. I don't know how they would cook something like brisket and have it ready at a certain time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #3
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Holding and resting are different things, but I do know that some (if not many/most) restaurants will cook at 200° for ~20-24 hours. So at such a low temp I don't think a rest would be necessary, therefore I could see them taking it right off the cooker and slicing it up. The cooker would essentially act as both a cooker and holding box...some damned fine brisket comes from this method, but way too much effort for me.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

"Holding it" should not be "continuing to cook it". There's nothing wrong with just letting it sit on the stove top or counter for an hour...if you are ready to cut and serve it right then.

Holding a brisket at 150 or 160 ( or resting in a cooler) for 3 or so hours can do a brisket a lot of good. Being able to hit a particular serving time is a plus too.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
Beer/Meat/Victory
Full Fledged Farker

You'll probably get better opinions from more qualified individuals here, but I do it just so I'm not sweating being ready for meal time. I typically do my smoking on Sundays, but Briskets and Butts I do overnight. I normally fire up the smoker somewhere around beer 5-6, and the meat goes in the smoke around beer 7-8 (give or take a few beers). So normally meats on no later than midnight and done anytime between 9-10am until about 2pm. Throw into a cooler and do whatever I want the rest of the day until dinner. Also, I would think if it was tasteless you should add more rub, salt, etc. The hold shouldn't affect the flavor one bit.
Beer/Meat/Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

If you take it off the cooker, wrap immediately and hold insulated, you will cook it another 5 to 10 degrees probably. If you let it cool for 10 minutes or so, then wrap, it shouldnt cook much if any. If by flavor you mean bark, then it might lose a little "crunch" when it sits wrapped, but not flavor. I do this to keep until time to slice. Maybe add more rub or a different rub to make it more flavorful? I am not for sure about this, but I have heard that wrapping and holding, helps make it more tender.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

I've actually been using extended tests in the 6 to 8 hour range and they have come out extremely flavorful. Not sure the science or even if there is science behind it but I like it. It might be that a long break like that gives my senses time to cleanse so I'm able to taste the meat again.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice

If you "hold" for enough time you can slice/pull w/e without losing too much juices/moisture. I learned that from cooking SV.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #9
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
If you take it off the cooker, wrap immediately and hold insulated, you will cook it another 5 to 10 degrees probably. If you let it cool for 10 minutes or so, then wrap, it shouldnt cook much if any. If by flavor you mean bark, then it might lose a little "crunch" when it sits wrapped, but not flavor. I do this to keep until time to slice. Maybe add more rub or a different rub to make it more flavorful? I am not for sure about this, but I have heard that wrapping and holding, helps make it more tender.
what I like to do is ramp down cooker temps as it nears probe tender. under 225 there isn't really any carryover. I catch them early and drop temps down and probe tender is in the 190s. then I'll hold for a few hours at 150 until lunchtime.

I recently did one without wrapping in paper until it was done. the bark was really crispy, I like bark more tender so I'll go back to wrapping earlier but that's all a matter of personal preference.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

My best briskets have rested for 1-2 hours. For me it seems like the longer they rest, the results diminish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-08-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
OklaDustDevil
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Holding and resting are different things, but I do know that some (if not many/most) restaurants will cook at 200° for ~20-24 hours. So at such a low temp I don't think a rest would be necessary, therefore I could see them taking it right off the cooker and slicing it up. The cooker would essentially act as both a cooker and holding box...some damned fine brisket comes from this method, but way too much effort for me.
^^^^^
I tend to cook at 225-250, which I consider low and slow, and it does take a long time. I never wrap during the cook because I prefer the texture that way. If the brisket is done an hour or so before eatin time, I won’t wrap or hold after its done, just let it sit on the counter to cool for slicing. If done more than an hour and a half before eatin time then I’ll wrap and hold on the counter or in a cooler depending upon how much time I must hold it.

I often have wondered whether a hold after cooking improves a brisket or not. My judgment, based on my cooking style, is no, so I view wrapping/holding only as a convenience to keep the brisket good until time to slice. But so many folks now cook hotter and faster that perhaps in those circumstances putting time into the hold does improve it. Or maybe folks see bbq joints holding brisket for timing purposes and conclude that’s how it should be done. I don’t know.

I’ve never been curious enough to conduct a test by cooking two briskets identically except holding one and not the other — has anyone else?
Chuckwagon Cookers Horizontal Offset Stickburner
Southern Cookers Vertical Stickburner[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
OklaDustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #12
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Brisket is overrated ,period.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #13
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGreentea View Post
I'm only asking because I've seen many bbq restaurants just take out the brisket when they think it's done and start slicing. Perhaps some are resting it on a cutting board for an hour or two then slicing and I'm just watching edited video? .
What restaurant are you talking about? I think health code requires it to be held at a minimum of 145? Maybe it was done cooking long ago and they are just holding it in the pit till they need it?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #14
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaDustDevil View Post
^^^^^
I tend to cook at 225-250, which I consider low and slow, and it does take a long time. I never wrap during the cook because I prefer the texture that way. If the brisket is done an hour or so before eatin time, I won’t wrap or hold after its done, just let it sit on the counter to cool for slicing. If done more than an hour and a half before eatin time then I’ll wrap and hold on the counter or in a cooler depending upon how much time I must hold it.

I often have wondered whether a hold after cooking improves a brisket or not. My judgment, based on my cooking style, is no, so I view wrapping/holding only as a convenience to keep the brisket good until time to slice. But so many folks now cook hotter and faster that perhaps in those circumstances putting time into the hold does improve it. Or maybe folks see bbq joints holding brisket for timing purposes and conclude that’s how it should be done. I don’t know.

I’ve never been curious enough to conduct a test by cooking two briskets identically except holding one and not the other — has anyone else?
I havent done side by side testing but I have played around with alot of different ways of doing it. working a hold came naturally for me. not only did it improve quality but it made the stress of timing disappear.

I really believe that holding whether by necessity or design is a key to making a consistently quality brisket. one thing I think it helps with on higher grades brisket is getting more fat to render.

you may be right that at lower temps it is less important. what's often missed by folks is how each little detail of a process adds up to a result. time, temp, cooker, meat quality, trimming, rub, mop/spritz, wrap material, hold, rest. each detail adds up and changing even one can alter results. that's doing what works for you is the best option

Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

I get mine to the internal I want and hold at 170 deg for 1-2 hour followed by a 30 minute rest on the counter.