MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #136
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Love this! Is the 6" expando on the inside around the edges just to hold the fuel? What is the diameter of your charcoal ring?

Don't tell the drumheads but with something like this I might be able to nix the UDS...not that I'm looking for a reason to do that but if you can easily get 12 hours at 225* .
I think to make it work on the UDS youll need to make a basket shaped like a doenut with the hole in the middle about 6" wide, and the about 10+ inches tall. Youll need about 1/2 - 3/4" space all the way around between the barrel and the basket I assume. To get an efficient burn.

On Bbq Bubba's basket, over at TQJ, his basket is 8" tall and about 19" wide. You would need to make up for the volume lost in the center of the doenut to get the burn time you would from a traditional style basket by making the doenut, or whatever you want to call it, taller.

On edit:Bubba's ring cant be 19" it is a 8" X 48" piece overlaped about 1-1/2 - 2". My ring is 14".
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2009, 05:07 PM   #137
Hachie Qer
Full Fledged Farker

Hey y'all. My first post. I started with a Smokey Joe over 20 years ago. Great little grill. After the legs rusted off a friend took it and fabricated new legs and kept it smokin'. Later I got a 22.5 which served me well for years. I had to leave it in New Mexico cuz it wouldn't fit in the trailer when I moved back to TX. I will have another one! I have a new Smokey Joe which works fine for the wife and I, but too small for entertaining. I've been using a cheap Uniflame kettle for now, but it's not the same. Definitely not built to last like a Weber.

Glad to be here. Lots of great info. Watch for my post in a few days about my rescue of a NB offset smoker. Needs work but the firebox and cooking chamber are still intact.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #138
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa Q View Post
I think to make it work on the UDS youll need to make a basket shaped like a doenut with the hole in the middle about 6" wide, and the about 10+ inches tall. Youll need about 1/2 - 3/4" space all the way around between the barrel and the basket I assume. To get an efficient burn.

On Bbq Bubba's basket, over at TQJ, his basket is 8" tall and about 19" wide. You would need to make up for the volume lost in the center of the doenut to get the burn time you would from a traditional style basket by making the doenut, or whatever you want to call it, taller.

On edit:Bubba's ring cant be 19" it is a 8" X 48" piece overlaped about 1-1/2 - 2". My ring is 14".
This is good...thanks. Actually not thinking of doing this with UDS but I also have a Weber 22.5 that i was considering this for.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #139
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Impressive Very nice improvements
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 PM   #140
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Ive got a couple of One Touch Basins sitting around from UDS Donor jobs... I am wondering how hard it would be to get the parts to make them One Touch Gold.. Ive never seen those parts at Homer Depot or any other place that stocks a lot of Weber parts... Is this worth my time or should I go grab a cute little Corona bucket for an ash catcher and call it a done deal?

I see the parts listed on Weber's page, but they also go by year... is there a difference in OT Basins by year?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #141
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody got a Weber 26.75" Gold? Thinking about adding one to my collection.
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #142
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues brother View Post
Anybody got a Weber 26.75" Gold? Thinking about adding one to my collection.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52594

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52826

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #143
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

trp1fox...

Did you ever put another handle on your lid?
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #144
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
trp1fox...

Did you ever put another handle on your lid?
I am still waiting for Weber to send me the replacement lid.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #145
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

Speaking of Weber...I had a post this weekend "operation performer restored" I ordered a new igniter and the lid thermo. A couple days later I was going to order the support beam/bracket that connects to each side of the ash catcher ring(this was the old style, they tend to rust out cause they are in contact w/ the bottome side of the bowl) the new ash catchers connect to the underside of the stubs the legs go in. Anyways I called Weber back to order a couple..I wanted a spare for down the road as I plan to have my red performer for another 20 years. They said dont worry about it...I will send you two for free. How cool is that? My '99 red performer is restored and I have spare parts...gotta like that. Weber rocks. Here is the original link..http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...tion+performer
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #146
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Wife and I got married in August of 1978 and one of the wedding presents we got was a smokey joe. Cooked on it and took it with us when we moved 3 times then I lost touch with it somehow. Last spring while cleaning a shed in her moms yard, I found it under a bunch of stuff. Cleaned it up and started using it again. It could use a couple new grates though.

Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #147
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

I knew there had to be a UDS-style threads for us Weber-heads! Pictures of my current stable are below; these are in addition to the red and blue 22 1/2" kettles sitting out back waiting for some restoration/modification work. Gotta love it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQInventory1.jpg (57.3 KB, 1358 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.JPG (48.6 KB, 1361 views)
File Type: jpg Mothership.jpg (67.8 KB, 1361 views)
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #148
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice collection going on
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #149
blues brother
Full Fledged Farker

Larry, Thanks for the threads...gonna order a 26 asap... Thanks again!
1 GF223 Stump Smoker
1 250 gal propane tank cooker(trailer mounted)
1 UDS to be...soon
1 Traeger

NEVER TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
blues brother is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #150
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

A 22.5" Kettle is the most versatile tool a BBQ cook can have. I smoke, grill, cold smoke and use it as a warmer.

I haven't made any modifications to my grill, but I did have my big cooker modified to carry my Weber on a swing out arm. It works great.

I got tired of carrying it along to every contest we did, assembling and breaking it down every time. Now we just swing it out in to position and light it up. We cook our compitition chicken on it and also have it available to grill dinner on Friday night.

More pictures at dodgecountysmokers.com
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
appreciation threads, kettle, Weber, weber kettle, weber kettle methods, weber kettle mods