• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cooking time?

AR Pork Producer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How much longer does it take to cook something at 220* than at 250? I cooked a 4 pound butt Labor Day at 220*. I would have expected it to come off in about 6-7 hours. It took 12 hours with last couple rocking along at 250 to get it up to 195. If it had been a 10 pounder I would have never got her done. I guess there's just difference in cuts. Is this due to some pieces having more fat than others?

AR Pork Producer

depends on what type of cooker and where the pit probe is located. for eggs, the dome temp is higher than the grid temp when indirect so smoking indirect at 220 would be about 190-200 grid temp which would take a long time to see 195 degrees in the meat. also, calibrate your thermometer.

This is a electric box smoker. The thermometer seemed to be spot on at one time. The sensor may have gotten dirty from cookings. I'll try to see if it is off by checking it with my meat thermometer which I have checked. Thanks

AR Pork Producer

Ricks correct and I'll add that all meat isn't the same. Some meat is tougher and some has higher fat content so no smoke is ever the same. I've done ten pound shoulders that were off in nine hours and a four pound butt I did the day before yesterday was off in twelve. Go figure!

calibrate the thermometer in boiling water. should read around 212 dependng on your elevation.

Here ya go:
yhst-96842746158051_2068_4195649

kickassbbq

LOL! That is true. But it sure makes it hard to time when to eat. I had planned on that butt for dinner, instead had it for supper.

Back