MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > OakRidge BBQ

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #16
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

 
kcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-11
Location: Kearney, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your decision to deliberately hurt your business. It's your business, you get to decide. But, really, to complain about the consequences of a decision you yourself made to rub your customers' noses in your politics seems to be a bit self indulgent.
You don't know the whole story -- the damage has already been done, airedale.

We had excellent sales growth in 2020 which continued into the first 4 months of 2021 until Big Tech cancel culture started to turn the screws, and in just under 30 days our sales dropped by over 75% and got progressively worse each month. By the end of August - before either of the two videos were created - we were selling at 2013 numbers.

The YouTube videos and associated posts here were made as a last ditch effort to bring attention to how Big Tech was using its power and influence to stop people from finding OakridgeBBQ.com or anything having to do with OakridgeBBQ.com, which included deleting all search index links to every OakridgeBBQ.com web page, stopping all OakridgeBBQ.com emails to any gmail addresses, destroying all search index links to 11 years worth of organic content created and produced by individuals from all over the world completely unassociated with Oakridge BBQ other than their content involved Oakridge BBQ products, and much more.

By my best estimates, we have lost in excess of a quarter of a million dollars in gross sales revenue since the bottom dropped out in May, and I doubt Oakridge BBQ will ever recover. It took me too long to figure out what was going on and we lost precious time and momentum while being deplatformed and not calling attention to it.

So, it is what it is, but it sure as fark isn't me being "a bit self indulgent."
__________________
Mike Trump
Owner & Master Blender, Oakridge BBQ LLC

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->


Old 10-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #17
Speeed
Full Fledged Farker

 
Speeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-19
Location: Philly Area
Name/Nickname : Speed
Default

Serious questions...

Why is it that uber liberal politically vocal companies such as facebook, Nike, Ben & Jerry's, Coca Cola... etc etc aren't given the same advice to separate their politics from their businesses?

Why is it that when someone with conservative views expresses their beliefs they are skewered for it and told to "just shut up man"?

Were you folks sending the same message to Coke, Nike or Ben and Jerry's?
Highly doubtful.

Yet it's totally acceptable for those companies to be outright bigots against a specific race and nationality (i.e whites and Jews)

Forgive me though, I forgot that it's social acceptable and even trendy in current times to discriminate against certain segments of society with impunity.
__________________
Primo XL | 36" Blackstone | 20x36 Lone Star Grillz | RecTeq RT-700 | PBC | Weber 22" Master Touch | Fireboard
Speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2021, 07:59 PM   #18
Speeed
Full Fledged Farker

 
Speeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-19
Location: Philly Area
Name/Nickname : Speed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
You don't know the whole story -- the damage has already been done, airedale.
Unfortunately you're fighting a futile fight, You can put incontrovertible proof in front of some people and they will still dismiss it and write you off as a crazy conspiracy theorist spreading misinformation.

Its also sad to me that your overriding point is being lost because some have written you off because you think differently then them.
The irony in that is....thats exactly your point and its been on full display in this thread and your shadowban thread.
__________________
Primo XL | 36" Blackstone | 20x36 Lone Star Grillz | RecTeq RT-700 | PBC | Weber 22" Master Touch | Fireboard
Speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #19
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
ShadowDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-12
Location: ABQ, NM
Name/Nickname : Marc
Default

I don't understand how you're not in "full damage control mode," Mike.

Throughout your tenure at OakRidge I've done nothing but support you, buy extra VIP Samplers for my friends, talk you up to others.

Politics has NOTHING to do with your BBQ prowess! Holy Jesus, you're frickin' amazing! Don't you get that!?

But you... you threw labels and names... I shall not.

Yes, sir. I still hold my commission in the military after many years of active service to include combat and combat command in multiple theaters of war. I learned to be a-political... yes... without politics. I served whoever was CINC at the time. I learned to bite my tongue... salute smartly... and go do my job. I learned to respect the rule of law and that of truth.

I sure do hope that you make it, brother... but your postings of late have driven me to this:

If I were still in uniform and if you were, too... I'd tell you,
"Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes!"

If you'd prefer a video rendition, I offer a clip from the comedy group The Whitest Kids You Know: Language - NSFW/NSFK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuofaDxa6Oo

Mike, I'll keep supporting you for your BBQ prowess and absolute genius abilities, but you've gone WAY off the reservation with the rest, mate.
__________________
Hardware - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #20
gtsum
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 08-30-03
Location: Richmond, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post
I’ll first say that I’m a satisfied customer of several years. I don’t know if I’m the norm, but I don’t generally allow political biases to influence my purchases- if I like a product, and I’m treated with respect, and receive good service, I buy the product. I like your rubs, and at the moment I have no intention to stop using them. That being said…

I have to agree with those urging you to separate your strong political opinions from your business. In the spirit of full disclosure, I think the conspiracy theories of your ilk are mostly silly - but I’m not interested in debating that polarizing issue on a BBQ forum. You seem stunned that sharing those opinions is alienating some of you customer base. I understand and appreciate what a polarizing thing the current political climate has become…but to me, it seems needlessly risky and reckless - as a successful business owner - to do what you’re doing now. Is this the hill you really want to die on? If you want a successful business, it seems too obvious…don’t alienate customers. If your political points of view are more important to you than making money, then by all means stand your ground.

There’s an old adage that says: among friends, never argue politics or religion - they are arguments that you surely cannot win. All you’re likely to do is lose friends. It’s been my experience that people are rarely- if ever- swayed by differing opinions where politics or religion are concerned. People gonna believe what they believe - whether supported by fact or not.

Red

One of the best written and fair posts I have seen here in awhile. I agree pretty much 100%

I have oak ridge rubs and like them and yes, I’m a republican through and through…but I get tired of conspiracy talk and the like. Bottom line is if I like a product and it benefits me, then I’ll use it and support it…if not, I don’t. I don’t usually get into political drama because there is never a winning side…I care about me, my family, and my friends. I don’t have time to regurgitate and debate left vs right. I live my life and suggest others do the same. But I would never, never put my political views to the forefront of my business. YMMV. Good luck and God Bless


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:18 PM   #21
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

 
kcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-11
Location: Kearney, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I don't understand how you're not in "full damage control mode," Mike.
Because that would require me to cede my values and beliefs in order to placate those who wish to continue to cause damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
But you... you threw labels and names... I shall not.
Precision is important in communication. I threw no labels or names. I asked a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
If I were still in uniform and if you were, too... I'd tell you,
"Play Stupid Games, Win Stupid Prizes!"
I am a civilian and not bound to the same chain of command requirements as someone in the military. Regardless, stupid games/stupid prizes in this context is another statement heavily-laden with personal bias but presented as "pseudo-fact". You do not have moral high ground, this is neutral territory at best. You may deem it stupid, others do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
...you've gone WAY off the reservation with the rest, mate.
Again, another statement heavily-laden with personal bias but presented as "pseudo-fact". You do not have moral high ground, this is neutral territory at best. You may deem it stupid, others do not.


Thanks,
__________________
Mike Trump
Owner & Master Blender, Oakridge BBQ LLC

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26˝" Weber Kettle

Last edited by kcmike; 10-29-2021 at 08:27 PM..
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #22
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
ShadowDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-29-12
Location: ABQ, NM
Name/Nickname : Marc
Default

OK. Then I bid you good day, sir.

We've tried.

One can lead a horse to water... but you get the rest.

I claim no high ground. It just IS higher.

Signing off from this $h!t-sh0w of a thread where I've tried to show support but have been shot down when providing tough brotherly love.

XOXO.
__________________
Hardware - Weber 22.5 Kettle (Sep '16), OK Joe Longhorn (Mar '17), UUNI 3 Pizza Oven (Jan '18 ), Blue Rhino Razor Griddle (May '19), Cajun Bandit 22.5 Roti (Aug '20), Weber 26.75 Kettle (Dec '20)
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #23
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

 
kcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-11
Location: Kearney, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Its also sad to me that your overriding point is being lost because some have written you off because you think differently then them.
The irony in that is....that's exactly your point and its been on full display in this thread and your shadowban thread.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner...

__________________
Mike Trump
Owner & Master Blender, Oakridge BBQ LLC

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #24
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

 
kcmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-11
Location: Kearney, MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
We've tried.

One can lead a horse to water... but you get the rest.
I'm sorry Marc, but that water is poison and I won't drink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
I claim no high ground. It just IS higher.
Again, sorry. It's another dogmatic statement without a defensible argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDriver View Post
Signing off from this $h!t-sh0w of a thread where I've tried to show support but have been shot down when providing tough brotherly love.

XOXO.
It wasn't a $h!t-sh0w until a few folks showed up...

XOXO

__________________
Mike Trump
Owner & Master Blender, Oakridge BBQ LLC

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2021, 11:02 PM   #25
Inthewoods
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 04-11-16
Location: Idaho, USA
Default

There's some real enthusiasm in this thread...took a moment ta find it.
Cancel culture ya put a boot on its neck, a smash in that weak chin Muppet...set the sorry chit on fire. It's gone too long and too hard, get yer voice out and if ya feel drowned out...drive yer truck over a tranny. I'll be ordering because not only are the seasonings great, but it's time ta give it f'ing back.
Marxists, socialists, communists....less than human.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #26
DarkStar11
Full Fledged Farker

 
DarkStar11's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-31-04
Location: North Texas
Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default

Mike, I placed a couple orders the other night, not out of support of any political beliefs but because I believe your statement that sales are down. I really like your products and would prefer it if you were able to continue making rubs.

That said, if you were to start sending regular emails (or other marketing communication) to your customers every week spewing politics - whether I agree with them or not - you'd lose me as a customer. We're clobbered enough with endless politically stuff, day in and day out. Folks need escapes in their hobbies and passions, outside of politics and the 24x7 news/infotainment cycle.

Your products help fuel those escapes.

As a former small business owner, I think one can be politically active without tying their business to whatever those beliefs may be. I also understand that it is especially difficult to separate the business life from the personal life - because the business and brand is incredibly damn personal.

And it wouldn't have a chance of success if it were not.
__________________
Weber SSP, Genesis | OK Joe Bronco | Rec Tec | Camp Chef FTG
DarkStar11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2021, 09:21 AM   #27
Al Czervik
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Al Czervik's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-17-11
Location: RA 17h 45m 40s | Dec -29° 0′ 28″
Name/Nickname : Scott / Mongo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
it is a fact that the majority of Americans think that our elections are free and fair...The majority IMO think the current kerfuffle is silly.


Good one, airedale. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. While I do appreciate you conceding the silliness of the current kerfuffle is your opinion, IMO people should be concerned about just how far down the toilet our country and economy has been flushed in less than a year as a result of said kerfuffle. BTW, I'd love to see where the facts come from to substantiate your first comment. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy your daily ration of blue pill washed down with copious amounts of Kool-Aid.
__________________
Primo Oval XL, Flame Boss 300, Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen, Little Buddy ThermoPop
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #28
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 10-19-15
Location: City, MN
Default

@Speeed, to begin, I apologize for interjecting my politics into my post #12. That was/is totally irrelevant to my recommendation. But I'll try to respond to your questions anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Serious questions…

Why is it that uber liberal politically vocal companies such as facebook, Nike, Ben & Jerry’s, Coca Cola… etc etc aren’t given the same advice to separate their politics from their businesses?
I don’t know. None of them have ever asked me. Re B&J ice cream company I think they and their parent company have gotten shot up for their corporate position to withdraw from the Occupied Territories. IIRC the Israelis were quite steamed up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Why is it that when someone with conservative views expresses their beliefs they are skewered for it and told to “just shut up man”?
I think that’s a false premise. I suggested that Mike shut up because it was hurting his business, completely irrelevant to what his political position was. I do pro bono mentoring for small businesses. If a client came to me and said “I did x and it hurt my business.” I would respond “Stop doing x.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Were you folks sending the same message to Coke, Nike or Ben and Jerry’s?
Highly doubtful.

Yet it’s totally acceptable for those companies to be outright bigots against a specific race and nationality (i.e whites and Jews)
Did you know that both Ben and Jerry are Jewish? They published an NYT op-ed supporting their former company's actions. I agree with them. I have seen the apartheid conditions in the Occupied Territories on two different trips and I have been to the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg. I think I am pretty well informed on the subject and entitled to have an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
Forgive me though, I forgot that it’s social acceptable and even trendy in current times to discriminate against certain segments of society with impunity.
Well, 100,000 years of evolution have produced humans who desperately want to belong to as many tribes as possible. This was important historically for self preservation. Now, we have sports team tribes, religious tribes, barbecue tribes, national tribes, car brand tribes, and even tribes based on tribal symbols worn on clothing and shoes. So your complaint has nothing to do with "current times." In history tribalism involved a lot nastier stuff than it has lately.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts