• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cleaning your grill grates?

wolfkeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Last edited:
Nice to know. I usually brush then wipe down with a cloth towel. Nice to know that I may be doing something right!:shocked:

I use one of these from GFS.
images

I save the cleaner pieces of used foil from leftovers. That seems to work out okay. I read about the dangers of wire brushes on here a year or so ago and got scared.

I bought a cleaning "stone" at Target a month or so ago. I'm not sure how to use it precisely and am not sure if I like it

Nice to know. I usually brush then wipe down with a cloth towel. Nice to know that I may be doing something right!:shocked:
X2..I typically use a wet rag with some soap on first pass- then the dry side of it.

I just use a pyroletic process....or, in English...I just load up with charcoal and leave to burn right up, about 500°F for about an hour or so then just wipe the dust off.

I bought a plastic tray that is big enough to hold my grate and soak it in soapy water, then scrub with a stainless steel brush. I then rinse with a hose end sprayer, clean as new.

Some of these methods seem like they are great for steel type grates, but what about for cast iron? I wouldn't want to get water or soap on them every time I needed to clean. Also wouldn't want to burn them clean. Both would require re-seasoning.

i use a ss painters brush. i don't think any brisstles have broken off yet.
but you always follow with a piece of cloth or paper towel dipped in oil
to lube things up anyway.

Some of these methods seem like they are great for steel type grates, but what about for cast iron? I wouldn't want to get water or soap on them every time I needed to clean. Also wouldn't want to burn them clean. Both would require re-seasoning.
I have CI in my CharGriller I just scrub them off with a foil ball before I shut it down.
almost 6 yrs old and still look like new

Those wire fibres are pretty scary things. I've been using the standard wire brush and a water spray on them, but I'm going to change things up after reading this news.

Back