Curried peas and mushrooms

SmokinJohn

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, as is my custom (a new addition to my honeydew list) on the weekends, I make curry.

You can use this curry over rice, over chicken, with paneer, eggplant, whatever.

When I can, I use roma tomatoes, because it cuts down the sodium over canned tomatoes.

I "borrowed" this recipe from Bon Appetit, and tweaked it.

The red bell pepper is used if you have problems with potassium; Red bell peppers have little, and tomatoes have a lot.

On a whim, I subbed the peppers in, and Mrs SJ liked it so much, I make a double batch of curry.

Anyway, without further ado, here it is:

Roasted red bell peppers. No, I am not going to skin them.

curry1.JPG

I do seed them and slap them into the blender.

curry2.JPG

Bob's your uncle....

curry3.JPG

Curry powder: Curry powder, black peppercorns, chiles de arbol, cumin, coriander, turmeric. This is a triple batch of powder. I will need two for the cook, and I always keep one on standby.

If you want it hotter, swap the chiles de arbol (crushed red peppers) with habanero, ghost, or reaper.

curry4.JPG

All mixed up.....

curry5.JPG

Tonight's players. The bell peppers are in the measuring cup on the left; Roasted roma tomatoes are on the right.

The peas and mushrooms are from Costco. I have not tried frozen peas yet, but I will soon, as the season is ending.

The garlic "clove" is an elephant garlic clove. Normally, I use a whole head (bulb) of regular-sized garlic.

curry6.JPG

Smash the garlic, peel and chop the ginger...

curry7.JPG

Heat up 1/4 cup olive oil, and "cook" them for about 30 seconds...

curry8.JPG

Add 4 medium brown onions, chopped. You want them to almost brown...

curry9.JPG

Stir in the curry powder and cook an additional 2 minutes (to coat the onions and bloom the spices)...

curry10.JPG

I have added the red bell peppers (or was it the tomatoes), brought it to a boil, added salt and a bay leaf and 2 cups of water, and am letting it simmer for about 20 minutes.

curry11.JPG

While that is simmering, I cleaned and chopped the mushrooms...

curry12.JPG

Roast them with a glug/zhouz of olive oil...

curry13.JPG

I take ladles of the simmered curry mix and blend it until smooth...

curry14.JPG

Cooked the peas, added them to the mushroom mix, and add curry, and Et Voila!

curry15.JPG

Back