MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #1
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy
Default Visit to Lewis' Barbecue in Charleston, SC--Review

So several years back a new bbq place opened in Charleston (about 2 hours away) named Lewis' Barbecue. I saw it on Man Fire Food and the place looked good, not to mention I had never been to a Texas style BBQ restaurant. Had always heard how amazing their brisket is. Finally this weekend my nephew was playing in a ball tournament in Charleston so it was a perfect opportunity. Went and the reviews were totally on point. The brisket was excellent. It was prime grade and the pitmaster hit the perfect doneness. It would bend across your finger barely holding together. This definitely the best brisket I had ever tasted (both the lean and the fatty). I also had a link of the Texas Hot Guts (sausage) and it delicious and the snap on the casing was great. Ordered a couple spare ribs and they were nothing great. Actually makes me feel that most people specialize in a region of bbq. Either the beef or pork is awesome. I tasted a little of the pulled pork and it was ok. Got all 3 types of bbq sauce vinegar and tomato were really good. I tried the Green Hatch Chili Sauce in honor of my many Texan Brethren. Yuck! If that is bbq sauce I wouldn't ever want any sauce on anything either. The macaroni and cheese tastes great as well. I know we have a couple Brethren from around the Charleston area and it's a big tourist scene so I just wanted to throw a review out there for whoever it my help.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Thank you for the review of Lewis Barbeque! I had heard of it and it is one of those stops I will make in the future.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Sjhill
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Stu

My favorite bbq place around. I agree with you their brisket is the best I’ve ever had. The Thursday special is great too. They take their briskets and make their own pastrami for it. The hatch Chile corn pudding is great as well.
Blackstone Griddle
Sjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I have a coworker who's son graduated from C of C and took up residence in Charleston after school. My buddy travels down to visit his son and they hit up Lewis BBQ often. He raves about it. I'd like to try it sometime if I'm ever down that way.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Man, if I'm in SC there's no way I'm getting past the pork with vinegar sauce.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
bubbamac00
Knows what a fatty is.

I’m about two hours away as well and have had it a number of times. Brisket is always great. I’ll tell you a great combination is to pick up a few pounds of brisket from Lewis and some pulled pork from Rodney Scott’s. They’re only separated by about a mile or so. Pretty incredible combo from two great BBQ joints.
bubbamac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

When John was cooking at LA Barbecue in Austin they had the best brisket and sausage in town. I've never had sausage that good before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
lowcountrygamecock
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I LOVE Lewis bbq. Chopped brisket sandwich and Chile corn pudding. Been making recent trips down to visit family at MUSC and plan the trips around Lewis. I was a little disappointed in Rodney Scott’s the last time I went. Food tasted like it had been sitting out for a while. Normally good eats though but Lewis is top of the list.
lowcountrygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #9
lowcountrygamecock
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Oh and whoever said pastrami on Thursday’s is spot on also.
lowcountrygamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #10
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Great review Joedy. Sure wish it was a little closer to me
Old 08-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #11
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I miss him at LaBarbecue. In my role I talk to co workers all across the country. I casually mentioned Lewis to a lady who works in our Charleston office a few weeks ago and said she needs to try it out. She called me yesterday to tell me it's the best bbq her family has ever had. I was jealous.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Man, if I'm in SC there's no way I'm getting past the pork with vinegar sauce.
Oh yes it is superb and this is when you find out the difference in pulled pork and what we call barbecue. The sauce being cooked in just makes it that much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamac00 View Post
I’m about two hours away as well and have had it a number of times. Brisket is always great. I’ll tell you a great combination is to pick up a few pounds of brisket from Lewis and some pulled pork from Rodney Scott’s. They’re only separated by about a mile or so. Pretty incredible combo from two great BBQ joints.
I am sure that combination is phenomenal. I tried Rodney's place not long after it opened. It is good, but need to add more sauce to get the "true Scott's BBQ taste." I live about 10 minutes away from the original restaurant in Hemingway. We could tell it didn't seem as "saucy" as the original location. We were told they had to sauce it a little lighter because the people of Charleston aren't as used to the true vinegar sauce taste as people at home. So they have bottles of sauce out so people can add to it. Also, to point out the difference in prices between Charleston and small town SC. Rodney's bbq is like $18# at the original location it is $11 or $12#. Real Estate is a little more expensive in Charleston haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
When John was cooking at LA Barbecue in Austin they had the best brisket and sausage in town. I've never had sausage that good before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This was my first taste of Texas sausage and you can definitely tell a difference. I would love to know how that would taste in a sandwich complemented with other sides. Definitely the best sausage I've ever had.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I’ve cooked with John a couple of times and he is one of the best around. He’s from El Paso, so his cooking has some New Mexico influences, hence the hatch chili sauce.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote