MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Vending

I am planning on Vending the Cleveland Apple Festival this year in October and am trying to plan out how much food I will need to cook for the people. They said there was 7500-10000 people there last year. I am not sure that I believe that number. I have heard that you can plan on feeding 10% of the crowd. The menu we have planned is BBQ sandwiches, Slaw, French Fries to drink we are going to do sweet tea and lemonade along with some specialty strawberry lemonade. I am thinking we will do 5 oz sandwiches. What do you all think? How much slaw and french fries should we need? I plan to use the catering calculator for the meat and then adding a couple of butts to give us a little extra. We are also going to have the smoker on site spitting out that sweet blue smoke to draw them in. This will be my first vending attempt and I want it to go as smoothly as possible.
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Find out how many food vendors are there, how many are doing barbecue, how many are doing fries? Base your sales and menu on that first.
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

8 primary food vendors and 12 secondary food vendors. They don't have all the vendor spots filled. According to the website they will only allow 2 vendors to sell the same items.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
bloqbeta
Found some matches.

HOw many days is the festival? is it a one day event? 10% seems to be overkill. If it is your first event dont expect it to go smoothly, but it will serve as a basis for next year... taking along the smoker is the best idea...

Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Vending is an educated gamble. After a couple years you will get the hang on what you need. If you dont have another place to get rid of the food you dont sell it even becomes a bigger gamble. Most vendors fail if they are not busy enough and try and make a home run or vend twice a year. There is no doubt you will either sell out and or have way too much food left over carrying crazy costs with you. There is no exact science to vending I dont care what anyone says. It is all educated guess's. If you run out of food you fail, if you end the event with nowhere else to sell you will fail. What kind of signage do you have to make people what to come to you? There are a lot of factors. Do you want to gross 2k or 15k? There is a lot to think about beside how much food to bring. Are you truly set up to VEND!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Its a 2 day festival. 10-6 on Saturday and 1-6 on sunday. I don't have anywhere to get rid of the extra food after the festival. I would like to net 3-4 k. I figure my cost on 500 sandwiches with fries including the fee will be around 800.00. The plan is too cook enough for what we think we will need for both days and then if we somehow sell enough on Saturday to fire up the cooker and cook some more for Sunday. I am not set up to vend I really just want to get my feet wet and see if this is something I want to pursue.

Blogbeta did you mean 10% is too much to pay or too much to think I will be able to feed that many? The only cost to vend is the 220 fee for the festival.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

thanks for all the input!

Old 05-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

With an experienced crew you can do about $1500 an hour if you are busy and if you have the right ticketed priced items.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Jacked up how many people would you expect to attend a festival that you were selling 1500 an hours worth of product at?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
bloqbeta
Found some matches.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post
Its a 2 day festival. 10-6 on Saturday and 1-6 on sunday. I don't have anywhere to get rid of the extra food after the festival. I would like to net 3-4 k. I figure my cost on 500 sandwiches with fries including the fee will be around 800.00. The plan is too cook enough for what we think we will need for both days and then if we somehow sell enough on Saturday to fire up the cooker and cook some more for Sunday. I am not set up to vend I really just want to get my feet wet and see if this is something I want to pursue.

Blogbeta did you mean 10% is too much to pay or too much to think I will be able to feed that many? The only cost to vend is the 220 fee for the festival.
I bet you can feed that many, the thing is the other vendors... Jacked up summed it up perfectly, It is pure gamble... Just get the price right and the line moving.... Good Luck

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Some guys take the est. attendance and cut that 1/2 and then divide by the food vendors to get an idea of what you can expect.

Thanks from:--->