Britt's BBQ in McKinney, TX

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Have anyone stopped by here before? It's a roadside joint where he apparently leaves his cooker on site. His website said Tuesday-Sunday so I went out 15 miles from my house to take a look last night. Google says it's actually Wednesday to Sunday so I wasted a trip out here. Grabbed some pics of his cooker though, which was the real reason I went out this way.

e6e037cd656156958c01f0c0120ecb04.jpg

7eb3a040fa07645c7ad833b209eb4834.jpg

Last edited:
I almost feel bad that I haven't given him a try sine I live a mile east of there and drive past it at least twice a day (technically, I'm in Princeton but am on the border. That whole town line is weird as I think they are actually in Lowry Crossing despite the postal address being McKinney).

I suppose you already know about R. McCoy BBQ opening up in Farmersville? In a mish mash gas\food station building. It gives me a Dickey's vibe but I will be out there to try it out when it opens.

I suppose you already know about R. McCoy BBQ opening up in Farmersville? In a mish mash gas\food station building. It gives me a Dickey's vibe but I will be out there to try it out when it opens.

Yeah, I make it to Farmersville regularly. Looking forward to the new truck stop.

It's Lowry Crossing - Nice pics of my place. I have a tough time with the lurkers - I worry they work for spot and steal INC - spot by day - steal by night.
I have had firewood stolen, chairs from the patio - it's incredible, I have been forced to buy a video surveillance system. Sucks. When folks note I leave my cooker on location I worry. Of course I leave my cooker on location - it's where I cook; should I be taking it home every night? I live just over the hill....the last time I had an issue I held the would be thieves at gunpoint till the sherrif came - no issues since.
Why did you want pics of my smoker?

I worked very hard on that smoker with a buddy of mine. Her name is Black Betty. She flows nice. Need counter balance on the doors. Thats what the 2x4's are for - they hold the doors while I load her up. When I started the BBQ place I started with a double smoker on a trailer that I built with my sons. It's the one pictured on my website brittsbarbecue.us
Stop in sometime - some say I have some of the best brisket in the area - I dont really know - I just try real hard to do a good job for folks.
If anyone needs tanks, I know where to get them real cheap.
This smoker is a 500 gallon tank with a 280 tank cut in half for the firebox.
The Kettle - I inherited - it's from the late 60's/ early 70's

Mighty fine lookin' smoker there! Sounds like we need to get a buncha Brethren together and come check your place out.

Why did you want pics of my smoker?

Hey man! I saw the double pit picture on your site and wanted a closer look in person. I'm a bit obsessed about BBQ pits and have found places with wood burning offsets to be far and few in between. I figured you would have hitched it up each night due to the lurkers. I know I would.

I'll bring my family out again when it's not too hot.

On Saturday and Sunday my wife makes fresh banana pudding. She cuts the banana only when an order is placed so it's really fresh. I'm only open Thursday through Sunday becasue things were taking off (we were crazy busy) and getting out of hand. Cant find good help and the quality was slipping - so - I rolled it back to something I can handle and be there all the time.

I'm not sure. I bought the 500 for 100 bucks.
I had to drive to Denison to pick it up. The guy loaded it - it still had the fittings and gauges but I was happy to have it, local guys wanted quite a bit for a 500 gallon tank.

Yeah, I make it to Farmersville regularly. Looking forward to the new truck stop.

I stopped by the R. McCoy place this past week... I didn't get any Q though. The meat looked as bland as the menu on the LCD screens (looked like a Word doc on a TV). Decor really does affect your hunger and perception. The place was new and squeaky clean... reminded me of a cafeteria than a BBQ joint.

I stopped by the R. McCoy place this past week... I didn't get any Q though. The meat looked as bland as the menu on the LCD screens (looked like a Word doc on a TV). Decor really does affect your hunger and perception. The place was new and squeaky clean... reminded me of a cafeteria than a BBQ joint.

The word BBQ is a misnomer to be frank. I stopped in, but it was gas station food for sure. Nice folks, clean restaurant and good portions on both the chopped beef sandwich and sides. Chicken is better than the Q, but it was all edible I guess.

The word BBQ is a misnomer to be frank. I stopped in, but it was gas station food for sure. Nice folks, clean restaurant and good portions on both the chopped beef sandwich and sides. Chicken is better than the Q, but it was all edible I guess.

I didn't bother talking up the person behind the register at R. McCoy's in fear of having to buy food from them. I am sure their pit is gas fired or electric!

Last edited:
Hey, do the Britt's guy a favor and specify when you're talking about the other place. If you pop in here and just read the last couple of posts w/o taking time to read further, you'd get the impression that Britt's isn't worth a hoot...when you're actually talking about some other place.

It's easy to get lost in these threads...I just would hate for a hard working fella to lose a potential customer, or two.

That brisket and sausage looked great! Wish it wasn't a 1,300 mile drive...one way!

Hey, do the Britt's guy a favor and specify when you're talking about the other place. If you pop in here and just read the last couple of posts w/o taking time to read further, you'd get the impression that Britt's isn't worth a hoot...when you're actually talking about some other place.

It's easy to get lost in these threads...I just would hate for a hard working fella to lose a potential customer, or two.

That brisket and sausage looked great! Wish it wasn't a 1,300 mile drive...one way!

Valid point... the post took a turn at R. McCoy's.

Back