First cook with wood other than hickory.

JimmyR1Rider

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Did my first small cook where I changed up some stuff.

I used all cherry instead of hickory. I've always only used hickory until now. I also changed up a few things rub and cook wise.

I usually do ribs at around 275ish, use straight killer hogs rub and cook 2 hours unwrapped, basically 2 wrapped and the about 40 minutes unwrapped again with saucing them twice. Once 25 minutes after being unwrapped again and the second time 10 minutes later and then take em off 5 minutes or so later. I usually use some sweet baby rays doctored up with Apple juice and brown sugar.

I've had some real successes and some real failures if I had temp stability issues where some were undercooked and tough and some with the dredded crumble apart when cutting them.

Last night I used a bbq sauce I cooked up that I based off a KC classic sauce and added certain things to my liking. Turned out real nice and it wasn't nearly as thick or gloopy even after being in the fridge. It stays nice and thin so it spreads nice and smooth.

I changed up the rub process to a light coating of 2 to 1 pepper/salt and then the same killer hogs rub.

I changed up the cooking to between 250 and 270 keeping it as close to 250 as I could.

Took 6 1/2 hours. 2 unwrapped, 1:35 wrapped, then the rest of the time unwrapped until they were tender enough to bend with no fight. Then sauced and sauced again 20 or so later. I let the second coat of sauce set for 15 minutes or so. After applying the sauce the second time I spritzed with my apple juice, apple juice concentrate and brown sugar which helped the sauce spread nicely even more.

Have to say, they were probably the best ribs I've turned out. Was super happy with the flavor, color and texture. They were juicy to where they dripped when you bit through even after they cooled down. All in all a slam dunk.

I also did a pork loin where I used a rub of some store bought ones I mixed and then another rub - sweet money rub from big poppa smokers. I usually inject loins but I decided to give it a go without and it also turned out delicious and juicy.

Thanks for reading.

Nice color and looks delicious Jimmy! Good to see you posting.

Thanks.

Been crazy trying to get all the wedding arrangements done, waiting on the electric company to run another service for the cnc and trying to see how I can go about getting a food license. It's a PITA here. Then again in sure it is everywhere.

Those ribs look great. Man, that side pic...drool.

I don't really care too much about what wood I use, maybe the flavors are too subtle for my unsophisticated palette under rub and or sauce.

What I can detect quite easily is "bad smoke" from wood that isn't seasoned/dry enough. Hickory, pecan, oak, I don't care much. Just make sure it's dry and I'm happy.

Nice job :thumb:

Beautiful outcome!

Thank you!

Those ribs look great. Man, that side pic...drool.

I don't really care too much about what wood I use, maybe the flavors are too subtle for my unsophisticated palette under rub and or sauce.

What I can detect quite easily is "bad smoke" from wood that isn't seasoned/dry enough. Hickory, pecan, oak, I don't care much. Just make sure it's dry and I'm happy.

Nice job :thumb:[/QUOYou!

Thanks so much. I honestly never thought I'd taste the difference either honestly but I was, unless it was a placebo or just a combo of all the changes.

Yeah, there's nothing like the acrid taste of green wood. I'm not a fan of it at all.

I find that cherry works well with pork and chicken and leaves a better color on meat than other woods.

My order of preference...

Cherry
Hickory
Oak
Sugar Maple
Apple

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Amazing job there.

I find that cherry works well with pork and chicken and leaves a better color on meat than other woods.

I agree after using it finally

My order of preference...

Cherry
Hickory
Oak
Sugar Maple
Apple

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll be using oak next cook to see. I LOVE apple but it's hard to find here. I'd love to get my hands on some sugar maple, it's been on my to get list for a while now.

Beautiful.

Thank you :)

Very nice ! That bite pic was crucial. Looks heavenly

That's what I always look for when people post pics. Tells most everything about the cook. Thanks. I must say, they were my favorite ribs to date.

Amazing job there.

Thanks Bill.

Gave my old neighbor a rack since they were possibly going to go to waste. He took them to work and split them with another guy on their lunch break. He said they reheated nicely in the work kitchen at his electric plant he works at.

Glad to hear he enjoyed them also even after a couple of days. Was a satisfying cook for sure. Everything came together just right.

The ribs look fantastic!
Quick question: when you wrap the ribs, are you adding anything at that time?
Thanks!

The ribs look fantastic!
Quick question: when you wrap the ribs, are you adding anything at that time?
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, I usually add a line of brown sugar, 5 pats of butter and zig zag of agave or honey, whichever i have on hand to each side and then some of my spritz mixture.

This time I left out the butter. Just did brown sugar and agave. I truthfully prefer the agave over honey just because it doesn't crystallize ever in the bottle and is always easy to squeeze out of the bottle.

I like agave nectar too. Plus, it's a good bit cheaper. I bought a 2 pack at Costco (72oz total) for less than 10 bucks.

Back