Cedar???

zwylde1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Was out camping for the 4th and did alot of grilling. While at the campground my son came back with an arm load of wood from a site people had just left. Was some strange looking wood, but hey do not look a gift horse in the mouth. So I went to split the stuff and when I did it had the redest middle I had ever seen, and the odor was immediate. It was cedar! Threw a log on the fire and man did it ever smell good. Keep a few pieces for the next trip. Is this stuff any good to smoke with or just burn and enjoy the aroma next trip? Seems it might make the food smell like a closet, but just asking. :p

Split it thin and use if for "planked" whatever. It's especially good with fish.

Split it thin and use if for "planked" whatever. It's especially good with fish.
^^^^^ +1. As far as a fire wood goes, I'd think it would be similar to pine or spruce...but I can't say for certain.

We used to use it to smoke our pork sausage, but we also has a 12x12 stone/mud smokehouse. Too much creosote for smaller smokers, I believe.

And I agree with you, I loved the smell of the smoke and the taste of the sausage.

You have eastern red cedar not the western red cedar that is used for the planks you buy at stores.

I've always done the store-bought cedar planks for fish, never made my own, but yeah like the others said, you'll love the fish cooked up on those planks!

And I read somewhere not to use the eastern red cedar for fish planks, but I can't say for sure :crazy:

You have eastern red cedar not the western red cedar that is used for the planks you buy at stores.

Back