MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #1531
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

I cooked 16 butts in my standard smoker and had room to spare. I had read on each rack and could have probably fit 5 easy and 6 with some maneuvering. Search 16 butts and you should find the thread.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #1532
Burnt to a T
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Kadian View Post
I cooked 16 butts in my standard smoker and had room to spare. I had read on each rack and could have probably fit 5 easy and 6 with some maneuvering. Search 16 butts and you should find the thread.
How many people did you feed on that much?
Burnt to a T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #1533
Burnt to a T
Full Fledged Farker

How many of you cook sides in the smoker vs oven, and stove? How much smoke flavor do you get if you do it in the smoker? What temps do you cook them at?
Burnt to a T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #1534
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt to a T View Post
How many people did you feed on that much?
We fed the entire crew at Sams club for 2 days. I don't know the exact head count, but it was a bunch of hungry workers taking full advantage of free food.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #1535
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Hey SmokinGreene, Thanks for the advice on smoke ring on briskets. I got some Mesquite chunks, and kinda overloaded it with that and Pecan in with the KBB. I loaded them up when the pit was still coming up to temp and straight from the fridge. Didn't use any water, I forgot that hint. I think they turned out alright, if slightly over cooked:

Regular photo:

With filter...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #1536
Southstar
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Got the email this morning that my smoker will be ready in 7 to 10 days!!! Just enough time to do a few cooks before football season. Can't Wait!!
Southstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #1537
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

Looks great, Terry!!! Nice smoke ring and bark!!!
Custom 24"x60" Insulated Offset
36" Assassin Grill
48" Custom Assassin Grill
A whole family of Webers.
Smokin' Greene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #1538
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

THoey1963

How was the smoke flavor using that much mesquite and pecan wood?

If it made it more and heavy smoke flavoring, I might have to start using Mesquite in my brisket cooks.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2016, 04:44 PM   #1539
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

Big, I was just about to ask Terry the same thing.
I grew up on mesquite and it is all I use on red meat, but I see that it is not very well received on this forum.
I have tried the lighter woods, but mesquite with brisket, beef ribs, steaks, etc. is just the go to in my house.
So, I am curios as well how was the smoke?
36" Assassin Grill

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #1540
THoey1963

Yeah, it was smokier than I want, but not bad, just strong. Next time I will cut down some...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].

Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #1541
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Greene View Post
Big, I was just about to ask Terry the same thing.
I grew up on mesquite and it is all I use on red meat, but I see that it is not very well received on this forum.
I have tried the lighter woods, but mesquite with brisket, beef ribs, steaks, etc. is just the go to in my house.
So, I am curios as well how was the smoke?
Good deal...

Seeing as how beef is the hardest to get smoke into, that I have seen, I think I will try a brisket with all Mesquite when I get my new smoker and see if that can satisfy my heavy smoke flavor taste.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #1542
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Yeah, it was smokier than I want, but not bad, just strong. Next time I will cut down some...
Thank you... I'll try it and see if it's what I'm after.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #1543
Smokin' Greene
Take a breath!

Terry, I have found that if you can remove the bark from the mesquite it is not quiet as strong.
I don't mess with it on the LSG, but I have observed the smoke isn't as strong, and I believe the bark is where the bitterness of mesquite comes from.
I could be wrong here, it could be too many beers speaking at the end of my cooks? HA!
36" Assassin Grill

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #1544
THoey1963

Heh, I am not even sure if there was bark on the wood chunks or not. I'll take a look next time. Like I said, it wasn't bad, just more smoke than I prefer. A couple less chunks each and spread them out a little more, and It'll be better...

Last edited by THoey1963; 07-25-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #1545
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Good deal...

Seeing as how beef is the hardest to get smoke into, that I have seen, I think I will try a brisket with all Mesquite when I get my new smoker and see if that can satisfy my heavy smoke flavor taste.
Mesquite is really good on beef. It's just hard to find in our state. You can get some pretty heavy smoke flavor from hickory in the LSG cabinet if you go 50/50 chunks to charcoal..
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote