MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Default Steakhouse Bacon

Need a little help here… I'm looking into making my first attempt at pork belly. I've had plenty of store bacon, and have had bacon at really high end steakhouse (which is amazing) and have had pork belly at Fette Sau.

I think what I want to do is make a bunch of bacon like the ones from high end steakhouses, the nice and pencil thick slices. I would like to vacuum seal them into smaller portions and freeze them. When it's time to eat I'm thinking fry them in a pan, or bake them or even toss on the grill.

I know there are tons of threads here on pork belly, but I'm not really sure that the recipe I'm looking at are what I want.

A lot of brethren are in love with Thirdeye's bacon… Is this the recipe that will give me the results I am looking for?

As always thanks in advance!
Gaspare

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...ast-bacon.html
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Also note; a lot of high end restaurants use side belly for bacon. The regular belly is about three parts fat to one part meat, whereas side belly is about a one to one ratio for the fat/meat content.

It's simply a matter of choice. I have always preferred side bacon, more meat with great flavor from the fat.

As far as the proper recipe, you have to figure out the flavor profile you desire, Maple, Honey, Pepper, and so many more..... Try several small batches of different recipes that move you and try them. That's the only way to find out which one you like best.

Our personal tastes are just too subjective to get a single recommendation, we all differ in our tastes from one another....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck. There are so many recipe's here for bacon, with so many different opinions on what to use and how much of each is is a difficult decision on what to do. Third Eye has been here a longtime and is probably as good of a choice that you can make. Please post pics and let us know how it goes.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Also note; a lot of high end restaurants use side belly for bacon. The regular belly is about three parts fat to one part meat, whereas side belly is about a one to one ratio for the fat/meat content.
I never new that and I think I agree with you 100%. The steakhouse type isn't nearly as fatty as the one I tried at FS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
As far as the proper recipe, you have to figure out the flavor profile you desire, Maple, Honey, Pepper, and so many more..... Try several small batches of different recipes that move you and try them. That's the only way to find out which one you like best.
That is a great idea… Perhaps I can grab two slabs and cut them in half and try 4 different types.

Anyone with 3 other favs :) off to do some searches. I really hope I don't put this off to the side and do this.

Thanks again for the help!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I looked at Cowgirls blog as well.. looks great! These recipes should work well with side belly as well right?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

The 3%/0.25%/1% ratios? They'll work as basic cure for any cut. Maybe with the exception of ribs because of the bone weight. Still need to work that one out, but bacon ribs are damn good

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
robbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I just made that recipe except using #1 cure instead of mortons. It came out really really good.
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR] and [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR] Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Well ordered myself some "side belly" at least that was what I told him. I have like 10-12 lbs. Told the butcher to cut them into 4 slabs. The meat was still frozen Sat when I went to pick it up, he told me wait a day before I start cooking it. Seems still rock hard, is it ok to place them in the bag with the cure/rub for the 5 day process?

I'm waiting on my salt to arrive from Amazon today, couldn't find it local. Since I have 4 slabs I am making each one a lil different. Two of the slabs will have Cowgirls rub and the other I am adding just a little ginger. And the next two will be Thirdeye's rub and the other with a pinch of ginger.

There is a local spice shop near me and I spoke to them and I wanted to use both Cowgirls and Thirdeye's base rub but wanted to add another element to each. We'll see which I like the most.

Pictures will be posted as I start this process…

Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
Well ordered myself some "side belly" at least that was what I told him. I have like 10-12 lbs. Told the butcher to cut them into 4 slabs. The meat was still frozen Sat when I went to pick it up, he told me wait a day before I start cooking it. Seems still rock hard, is it ok to place them in the bag with the cure/rub for the 5 day process?

I'm waiting on my salt to arrive from Amazon today, couldn't find it local. Since I have 4 slabs I am making each one a lil different. Two of the slabs will have Cowgirls rub and the other I am adding just a little ginger. And the next two will be Thirdeye's rub and the other with a pinch of ginger.

There is a local spice shop near me and I spoke to them and I wanted to use both Cowgirls and Thirdeye's base rub but wanted to add another element to each. We'll see which I like the most.

Pictures will be posted as I start this process…
If it's frozen it won't cure. Temperatures of 28 degrees or below stop the cure. It should be 36 - 40 degrees during curing.

Keep us posted....

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Well I started the process. I don't think it was frozen, it was hard/firm but had some bend in it. Not like a cutlet when I pick it up. But bend when I would flex it. Live and learn, guess that's what BBQ is about. Nothing like a $40 lession :)

Since I made 4 different packages I will attempt post each one separate with pics. Here we go...

Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Wickedcajun
is One Chatty Farker

Can't go wrong with anything Cowgirl or Third eye does!!!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

This is package A:

This is Thirdeye's blend with 1/2 tsp ginger (not per pound! for the whole bag)

I took some side pics to show the meager side and the fattier side. Let me know if this looks like normal pork belly. Also I noticed there is a very thin coating of something… is it skin… I will make sure I post it in one of the threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0157.jpg (69.8 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (64.1 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.jpg (62.8 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0161.jpg (77.4 KB, 352 views)

Old 01-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #13
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Package B:

This is straight up Thirdeye's rub/cure. Notice that thin coating I was talking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (67.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (51.8 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (38.6 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (49.0 KB, 349 views)

Old 01-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #14
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Here is Package C:

Cowgirls rub with the ginger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (61.7 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (53.5 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (45.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (43.3 KB, 346 views)

Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #15
IamMadMan

Yes it looks likes the skin, sometimes called bacon rind.

You can remove it before you smoke, or leave it on and when the bacon get to about 130 - 135 it will easily pull off with no resistance.

Tags
bacon, Pork Belly