What should you not smoke?

Gettinit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I will try not to ask too many stupid questions. Is there anything that you should not smoke (in a smoker)? I was thinking about trying my hand at a pork belly.

There really isn't anything I haven't tried. If it doesn't turn out the best, I eat it anyway, cause in my book it's all an experiment.

LOL i agree with the dope but i have heard guys say they could smoke leather and it would be good. Never try it tho :razz:

I don't know about smoking leather but my mother put out the worst leather when she cooked her steaks.

Prolly certain types of fish? Just seems like oily mullet may hang around for quite awhile.

smoke dope but not in the smoker, smoke almost everything else in the smoker, don't smoke tobacco either way, also beer doesn't seem to smoke well it seems to be like whiskey, its gone before it gets smoke flavor....

You never know till you try . i have smoked deviled eggs . ( Only for 20 seconds ) enough to get the smoke flavor in them.

Any really lean game, like venison. Other than that, smoke all the dope you want...

Jeff

I do plenty of very lean meat on both high and low heat. I adjust the moisture in the pit to the product being cooked. Would you mind sharing what the lean piece of game you are having problems with?

I do plenty of very lean meat on both high and low heat. I adjust the moisture in the pit to the product being cooked. Would you mind sharing what the lean piece of game you are having problems with?

No problems yet. I have just done a little bit here and there. I figured I would see what the pro's thought before I made a mess of things. Easier to keep chugging along when you are not setting yourself up to fail.

I smoke venison loin wrapped in bacon quite frequently and it never comes out dry. However I keep it over to the rare side. I also have done wild turkey breast with good success. Don't give in to reservations.

smoking many types of veggies is a bad idea. Grilling can be good, but prolonged exposure to smoke makes them bitter.

I've done venison in the smoker, I run a higher heat, 300, 325, really pound the smoke at the beginning and get it out around 145, 150 always tender
for for me.

I do grill game, just don't smoke it. To me, I have never smoked anything rare or medium rare, but I do grill a variety of meat like that.

I guess you could lard it or wrap it in bacon, but you would have to cook it well done for the lard to render or the bacon to be crisp... unless you grill it.

Jeff

Back