MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #16
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Very familiar with that TIMMAY. When I was in Seoul, I had Korean BBQ to die for. Is there any chance you can do an entry yourself in Korea... now that would be something special!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #17
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Fresh from my Local Asian Market today!

6lbs of deeeeliciousness!

Cheers!

Bill
Man, I got to try some of that. Luckily, we have a butcher nearby who has them.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #18
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Well SA, I really do not have access to the proper cooking utensils where I sleep. I do randomly work with Korean nationals but my relationship is not good enough with them yet to ask to go to their house. Darn. I guess it would not hurt to start asking questions on monday. Hell, worse comes to worse I do have a smokey joe that I rescued during my dorm move last week.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
SmokinAussie

^^^ Yes, thought that might be the case... Just googled the city you're at and realised you're serving at the base or something like that. With your smokey Joe though, you can brobably put something up... You get time to go shopping in local markets??? If so, give it a shot!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #20
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMMAY View Post
Well SA, I really do not have access to the proper cooking utensils where I sleep. I do randomly work with Korean nationals but my relationship is not good enough with them yet to ask to go to their house. Darn. I guess it would not hurt to start asking questions on monday. Hell, worse comes to worse I do have a smokey joe that I rescued during my dorm move last week.
Well heck, you have all you need from a technical perspective. But you might have trouble swatting away all of the people you attract while cooking it!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

This will be fun to watch
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #22
Aussie griller
Found some matches.

I have just loined, I'm going to help my felloe Aussies hold up their ends!!!
I have only done one pork belly-Curtis Stones recipe, boiled in Coke! Was very good but swear to do better.
Looking forward to hearing more.

Adam
Aussie griller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
SmokinAussie

Woo Hooo! Another Aussie!

Just one thing Adam. The word "boiled" needs to be used very carefully at all times, and should never really be seen in the same sentence as "ribs", or "pork" in general, unless you are deliberately being funny...

Can't wait to see what you do with that recipe! What kind of BBQ Gear have you got???

Cheers!

Bill
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #24
SmokinAussie

Default Asian Style Pork Belly

G'Day Bruces'...

I've made a big post in QTalk, so please feel free to have a look! I really enjoyed this belly... very full of flavour indeed. Hopefully at the very least, this inspires some really super entries...

Here's the belly prepped after injecting, salting, slathering, and ready for the offset:

An hour in under high heat!

About 6 hours in at 250F, pulled at 180 internal.

First Slice!!!!

Cubed, Asian Style...

As mentioned, if you don't read the QTalk thread.... the colour of this belly, being Asian style is not bright red because I've chosen not to add the red dye that causes that colouring. I prefer the more natural caramelisation that you get from the basic injection and marinade and smoke... well, that's my excuse

Thanks for Looking..

Cheers!

Bill

Last edited by SmokinAussie; 04-27-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #25
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

I have secured the ingredients for my official entry! Got downtown to the local E Mart (Yes, that is what it's called) and got everything. We cook tomorrow afternoon so the pics will come. Man, fresh made kimchi is pretty expensive. The stuff was like 5 bucks for randomly a half pound.

Hey Smokin that pork belly came out pretty nice!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
landarc

pork belly and kim chee is bangin' together. There are few better combinations than those two and some rice.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #27
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
pork belly and kim chee is bangin' together. There are few better combinations than those two and some rice.
I agree! I lived with a Korean girl for around 5 years and between the cooking we did at home and the places we ate in Koreantown in Chicago, I really miss a lot of that food. At least I know where the good little Korean markets are in Milwaukee now.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #28
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdude View Post
Here in SoCal there is a chain called 99 Ranch Market. Don't know if you have them up in Bakersfield. It's Korean, I think. They always have pork bellies.
We have one here is Pleasanton/Bay Area. I just think of it as an Asian Market. I feel like I have entered China when I walk in. The store is huge and I am usually the only Caucasian. I love it! Live fish, crab, live everything. Unbelievable.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #29
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Alright, I have my official entry. Korean BBQ. Ingredient list is as follows... Pork belly (rind off, couldn't find it with the rind), kimchi, marinated green onions, sliced raw garlic, spicy pepper paste, sesame oil dipping sauce, lettuce leaves.

Here we go...

Green onion prep and garlic

almost finished green onions with korean chili powder, salt, pepper, and sesame oil

lettuce...

try and decipher what that label says!

couple co workers waiting to grub...

my fire's too hot!!

And now the money shot. Lettuce, kimchi, green onion, garlic slices, rice, chili paste, and the grilled pork. I should have taken more time taking the pic, but it was cold outside and my food was getting cold! Use this one please...
Just in case anybody is curious, the veggies are not sides. They are actually condiments and the whole lettuce leaf gets rolled up and eaten as a "package".

Last edited by TIMMAY; 04-28-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #30
SmokinAussie

Hey Timmay... farken serious points for effort! Those Belly slices are the way Koreans do it and the fresh presentation with the salad etc is spot on!

Super stuff there Bro!

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
Master, Pork Belly