BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #5 - Pork Belly (Comes to an end on 7/31!)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The next cut we are going to master is...

Pork Belly!
pork1-390x384.jpg

Photo from A Knife's Work website.

For a definition of this specific cut, see here.

Do you think you have what it takes to be the Pork Belly Master??? Well, PROVE IT!!!:twisted:

Below are the rules for this contest.

1. This contest is open from Tuesday 4/19 until the first Monday AFTER the 10th entry is submitted. Dishes must be cooked and photos submitted within this timeframe. The cutoff time to enter your photos is midnight Central US time on the final day.
2. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.
3. Only one dish may be submitted per person.
4. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result.
5. Your dish must consist of Pork Belly as a primary feature.
6. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a steak you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced steak, and dressed with other foods. However, a steak with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on it's own.
7. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
8. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
9. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
10. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
9. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
10. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

OK all you wannabe BBQ'ers, LET'S GET COOKING!!!:cool: There can be only one!:boxing: Do you have what it takes to be the Pork Belly Master?

NEXT CUT: Chuck Roast (will begin the day after after this category ends)

I am excited for this one! I have never smoked pork belly before, let alone find it in any of the local stores...:confused: I am going to have to hit up some butcher shops and see what I can find!

I thought Smokin Aussie was the "Pork Belly Master"!, see past throwdown winners if you don't believe me!!!,,,lol
I love me some Pork Belly!

Bproffer
Asian butcher shops are going to be your best bet around here, not sure about where you live but it seems like the good ones get to the bacon manufacturers,,,,

Im going to have to search for this one because I've never seen it anywhere. Should be a great throwdown

I am excited for this one! I have never smoked pork belly before, let alone find it in any of the local stores...:confused: I am going to have to hit up some butcher shops and see what I can find!
Here in SoCal there is a chain called 99 Ranch Market. Don't know if you have them up in Bakersfield. It's Korean, I think. They always have pork bellies.

Went Shopping...

I'm pretty lucky here in Madison. I can buy pork belly at the local farmer's markets (call ahead so they bring it to the market), several Asian food stores, Organic Pork Belly at Willy St Coop, or whole with rind (skin) on at UW Provisions in Middleton (they keep it in the warehouse, but they'll bring it up to the counter if you call ahead). I decided to get the whole belly, rind on for this special throwdown. I unwrapped it and cut into four pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 660

If you have any Asian markets in your area, try them. I can only get whole ones if I ask the butcher for them. But there are a number of Asian markets within 5-10 miles that carry them in smaller pieces in thier meat case.

I've smoked them, but think a smoke/braise combination might rock. I'll be watching this one also!

The larger Asian Markets in Madison carry Pork Belly or "side pork" in 1-2 lb pieces.

The Iron chef stadium show is on right now and its about pork products including pork bellies.

check out your local asian markets. that's where I get mine. generally never more than $2.19/lb. I've been wanting to transition my roast pork belly recipe to the open flame, but somebody stole my grill. I am really looking forward to the results of this.

YOU KNOW... beings that I am in Korea and all... The real way that the Koreans do it here is with the countertop grill at the dinner table, and they cook their slices of pork belly right at the table during the meal. I know some of you have one of those little hibachis that hold less than a handful of charcoal, it would be sweet to see one of you guys actually pull it off and get sweet pics. Lettuce, red bean paste, slices of garlic, kimchi, roll it up and eat it like a little bite size taco.

Oh, and definitely rind on.

Well SA, I really do not have access to the proper cooking utensils where I sleep. I do randomly work with Korean nationals but my relationship is not good enough with them yet to ask to go to their house. Darn. I guess it would not hurt to start asking questions on monday. Hell, worse comes to worse I do have a smokey joe that I rescued during my dorm move last week.

^^^ Yes, thought that might be the case... Just googled the city you're at and realised you're serving at the base or something like that. With your smokey Joe though, you can brobably put something up... You get time to go shopping in local markets??? If so, give it a shot!

Cheers!

Bill

Well SA, I really do not have access to the proper cooking utensils where I sleep. I do randomly work with Korean nationals but my relationship is not good enough with them yet to ask to go to their house. Darn. I guess it would not hurt to start asking questions on monday. Hell, worse comes to worse I do have a smokey joe that I rescued during my dorm move last week.
Well heck, you have all you need from a technical perspective. But you might have trouble swatting away all of the people you attract while cooking it!:becky:

Back