MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Exclamation BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #4 - Chicken Leg Quarters (Today is the last day to enter!)

Our next cut of meat to master is:

Chicken Leg Quarters!

Image from My Recipes website

For a graphic depicting this specific cut, see here. Per the parts listed on that diagram, this contest will allow either of the two pieces labeled "Whole Leg" or "Leg Quarter with Backbone"

So you think you have what it takes to be the Chicken Leg Quarter Master??? Well, PROVE IT!!!

Below are the rules for this contest.

1. This contest is open from Tuesday 3/29 until the first Monday AFTER the 10th entry is submitted. Dishes must be cooked and photos submitted within this timeframe. The cutoff time to enter your photos is midnight Central US time on the final day.
2. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.
3. Only one dish may be submitted per person.
4. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result.
5. Your dish must consist of Chicken Leg Quarter as a primary feature.
6. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a steak you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced steak, and dressed with other foods. However, a steak with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on it's own. If you have any questions about this rule, please feel free to PM me or ask about it.
7. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
8. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
9. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
10. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
9. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
10. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

OK all you wannabe BBQ'ers, LET'S GET COOKING!!! There can be only one! Do you have what it takes to be the Chicken Leg Quarter Master?

NEXT CUT: Pork Belly (will begin the day after after this category ends)
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 04-11-2011 at 11:32 PM..
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have a great recipe for this one...maybe
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Ah! I made probably the best chicken leg quarters ever last night! I'll never be able to replicate them. Let's see I drank 5 beers and threw them on the kettle. Hmmm I may need to try this again.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

I'm with you, Smokey Al; I cooked ten pounds of the suckers on Sunday and NOW...LOL.

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

You know what we call chicken leg quarters in Australia???

Chicken Maryland ... Do you guys use that term?

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post

Cheers!

Bill
Never heard of that, Bill.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
SmokinAussie

^^^^ Thought so! Never seen it mentioned on this forum before. I dunno why w call it that... like all the legs come from Maryland and rest of the chicken comes from who knows where.... just a weird Aussie thing I suppose, like we don't have KoolAid either...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
bigabyte

I've never heard of that here either. Maybe Gore has, he's from Maryland.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
SmokinAussie

^^ Oh, so he's gonna win this one for sure!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

Cheers!

Bill
I thought it might be because Perdue, perhaps the largest chicken producer in the states has a poultry farm on the eastern shore They've received a lot of negative press in the past.

Then checked wikipedia:
In Australia the term Chicken Maryland simply refers to a butcher's cut consisting of the entire leg of thigh and drumstick, rather than any specific dish.[3]

Then again, there is Maryland fried chicken, pan fried with cream gravy.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
Ah! I made probably the best chicken leg quarters ever last night! I'll never be able to replicate them. Let's see I drank 5 beers and threw them on the kettle. Hmmm I may need to try this again.
Did you eat them in a burger?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
^^^^ Thought so! Never seen it mentioned on this forum before. I dunno why w call it that... like all the legs come from Maryland and rest of the chicken comes from who knows where.... just a weird Aussie thing I suppose, like we don't have KoolAid either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I've never heard of that here either. Maybe Gore has, he's from Maryland.
Never heard the expression before, although I did see a Maryland Bakery in Spain filled with all sorts of delightful things I never saw in Maryland. I think it might be an exotic name, like Overland Park. No KoolAid? Really? What do you simmer your ribs in? Please don't tell me Fosters.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #13
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
Sounds like a good recipe for beer-can chicken. I'm hoping to see you and Phubar go at it with some KFC.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #14
SmokinAussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Never heard the expression before, although I did see a Maryland Bakery in Spain filled with all sorts of delightful things I never saw in Maryland. I think it might be an exotic name, like Overland Park. No KoolAid? Really? What do you simmer your ribs in? Please don't tell me Fosters.
Correct, not Fosters. Your average Aussie wouldn't know what to do with a rib if it hit him in the face. He'd just chuck it on a gasser, cook the living sh!t out of it and call it American Ribs.... because that was the name on the rib when he got it from the supermarket... AND, let me go further... those ribs would have had ALL the meat cut from them, so you just get the bones and the intercostal muscle and sinew that holds one bone to the next... And for that... seriously, you will be asked to pay $16.00 AUD a Kilo AND they are usually premarinaded in Butchers marinade SLOP that the butcher buys in 25 litre drums. Thank heaven for Costco... at least now I can buy a real full cut of spares... and that Tri-Tip too!

BUT!!!! Costco still do NOT HAVE KOOLAID!

Sorry... rant over... I don't know what came over me!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #15
bigabyte

Quote:
Correct, not Fosters. Your average Aussie wouldn't know what to do with a rib if it hit him in the face. He'd just chuck it on a gasser, cook the living sh!t out of it and call it American Ribs.... because that was the name on the rib when he got it from the supermarket... AND, let me go further... those ribs would have had ALL the meat cut from them, so you just get the bones and the intercostal muscle and sinew that holds one bone to the next... And for that... seriously, you will be asked to pay $16.00 AUD a Kilo AND they are usually premarinaded in Butchers marinade SLOP that the butcher buys in 25 litre drums. Thank heaven for Costco... at least now I can buy a real full cut of spares... and that Tri-Tip too!

BUT!!!! Costco still do NOT HAVE KOOLAID!

Sorry... rant over... I don't know what came over me!

Cheers!

Bill
I am thinking Bill needs a Kool-Aid Care Package.

Duh.

Tags
Master, Pork Belly