MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 AM   #16
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
That cook looks awesome! Question: If you are making bacon (as opposed to burnt ends) would you have to smoke and fry the skin the same day you separate it from the belly, or could you throw it in the fridge in its own bag for 5 days while waiting on the belly to cure, then smoke them together?
You could keep the skin in the fridge for a day or two, over that I would freeze it. You really don't need to smoke the skin at all. Most of the flavor is lost, by the time it is fried crisp. You could just as easily boil it for a couple of hours, and bake it in the oven at low temp until it is dried out good. I just smoked it, because the smoker was going.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 09-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #17
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
[CENTER]Here is a link to article on my COOKIN' SITE and a Tender Quick recipe. It will walk you through the basic steps that most techniques will call for.
PSA to all curing brethren: Don't use Tender Quick for any recipe that you are going to fry because Tender Quick has BOTH nitrite and nitrate. The USDA no longer permits nitrate in bacon cures due to the nitrosamines formed while cooking. You don't have to believe me, you can see for yourself here on page 28

Tender Quick is just fine for hams and Canadian bacon (that is not fried). If you do fry your Canadian Bacon, you should avoid TQ.

Personally, I don't use TQ any more, I just measure out Cure #1 as needed.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #18
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
You could keep the skin in the fridge for a day or two, over that I would freeze it. You really don't need to smoke the skin at all. Most of the flavor is lost, by the time it is fried crisp. You could just as easily boil it for a couple of hours, and bake it in the oven at low temp until it is dried out good. I just smoked it, because the smoker was going.
This is super helpful. Out of curiosity, why not just fry it to start with? Is the boiling or smoking step to tenderize it? Thanks for filling me in on the intricacies. I can't wait to try this.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
This is super helpful. Out of curiosity, why not just fry it to start with? Is the boiling or smoking step to tenderize it? Thanks for filling me in on the intricacies. I can't wait to try this.
You can fry it without the extra steps, but in my experience, the more fat you can render off, and the drier you get it, the puffier and lighter they will be. Plus it makes the frying go much quicker. There is no wrong way, just a matter of what you want your end product to be.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #20
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
PSA to all curing brethren: Don't use Tender Quick for any recipe that you are going to fry because Tender Quick has BOTH nitrite and nitrate. The USDA no longer permits nitrate in bacon cures due to the nitrosamines formed while cooking. You don't have to believe me, you can see for yourself here on page 28

Tender Quick is just fine for hams and Canadian bacon (that is not fried). If you do fry your Canadian Bacon, you should avoid TQ.

Great. I was sold a bag of tender quick for canadian bacon. Yep I fry it.

Suppose I will try making ham with it instead.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #21
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post

Great info. Thank you.
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacon recipe, Pork Belly