Pulled Beef question

B

BBQNUTT

What's the best cut of beef to use for making pulled beef? I'm assuming chuck roast but thought I would ask around first.

Hard to beat chuck for pulling. Brisket is good too, but takes longer to get there and costs more around here.

Hanging Tenders. Never smoked one, but used to slow cook them many years ago... They are really good for pulling...but very hard to get your hands on. The hanging tender is the diaphram muscle...also known as the "butcher's cut". Years ago, the butcher used to take it home with him to feed his family since most people didn't know about it or it was simply ground up with other trimmings for hamburger. If you have a local butcher, see if you can get some from him.

Hanging Tenders. Never smoked one, but used to slow cook them many years ago... They are really good for pulling...but very hard to get your hands on. The hanging tender is the diaphram muscle...also known as the "butcher's cut". Years ago, the butcher used to take it home with him to feed his family since most people didn't know about it or it was simply ground up with other trimmings for hamburger. If you have a local butcher, see if you can get some from him.

Thats the first I've heard of "hanging tenders". Thats what I love about this forum, you can learn something new every day! Thanks for the suggestion!

I have found that beef shoulder is just as good as chuck for pulling, so I buy whatever is cheaper at the moment.

What is the distinction between beef chuck and shoulder down in your area?

I'm not much of a butcher so I cant really answer that one. I've often wondered if the beef shoulder is part of the clod. It has well defined grain and pulls much like a chuck but is far less marbled.

A big smoked chuck roast is a staple in my house. I usually do a large one (I've been averaging about 17 pounders) once a quarter.

They take about 24 hours but they are my go to meat for every thing from pulled beef to tacos.

As for the shoulder, I think they are really one in the same. If I recall the chuck is cut from the lower portion of this primal and the remaining roast is often called the "shoulder"

Now I'm not a butcher (and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn either) so I could be wrong.

The chuck is hooked on to the rib steaks which become ribeyes a couple of steaks down. The shoulder in on the other side of the chuck from the ribs. I used to cut meat in a packing plant.

oh flank steak....
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefB&F.html

I've always used chuck myself, but I'm now curious to try shoulder and hanging tenders.

Back