need help from PBC users

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a UDS that I have a hanging rack in. I've been spatchcocking chickens and hanging each half successfully for over a year now. I find that when I get my coals preheated and settled in it takes anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours max to fully cook a bird with crispy skin. Today I'm trying my very first turkey this way. The turkey is in the fridge spatchcocked in half and waiting. It is about an 11 lb bird. If a 4 to 5 lb spatchcocked chicken takes between one and one and a half hours, should I use the same rule of thumb for this 11 lb turkey and figure two to two and a half hours? Logic has me thinking that if I put it on a little after 3:00 it'll be ready before 6:00 but I wanted opinions. I don't want to ruin this meal. I got my son coming over with his future wife and I want it to be nice.

Haven't used a pbc in a while but that sounds about right. I did a similar sized bird hung whole it want about 4 hours iirc so spatchcocked I'd say you're on point.

Haven't used a pbc in a while but that sounds about right. I did a similar sized bird hung whole it want about 4 hours iirc so spatchcocked I'd say you're on point.

Thanks for the info. I thought so but just thought I'd ask.

Hang it securely!!!
Mine fell in the coals after a couple of hours! I may have lost a leg! :oops:

Hang it securely!!!

Holy crap! All the chickens I've done I just put the hook through the breast underneath the wing and I've never had a problem. I'm wondering if a turkey and a chicken have similar connecting joints lol. I put a small incision in the skin between the thigh and the breast so I can get my hand in there to rub and it feels like the leg wants to hang down a lot more than a chicken. I hope my leg doesn't fall off into the fire with the thigh attached lol

Hang it securely!!!

Ah the mighty, deaf thonk sound of a bird free-falling 2 feet into a bed of lit coals. Been there, done that

Mine turned out awesome. Took approximately 2 hours maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes. Injected with a butter/beer mixture and rubbed with a brown sugar bird rub. Everyone loved it. Now I just need to learn how to master carving a bird lol.

Back