MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Should have challenged him to steaks. I bet your egg could out sear him.

My tip would be to place a small bowl or can under the brisket. Something to keep juices from pooling on the top. You can take the bowl out after a few hours. It helps form the bark.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
usecd
Got Wood.

I am by no means an expert on cooking brisket, but when I cook one, I get the biggest foil pan I can find at grocery store and put it on the plate below the grill grate. I keep water in it the entire cook. It makes my brisket better and my family agrees.
usecd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #18
bigspur
Got Wood.

I've found these walkthroughs to be invaluable myself:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=fatcoyote
bigspur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
scruffee81
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

thanks guys for all your input. this is actually the second challenge against the neighbor. first was ribs. he lost. so since he lost...he wanted a rematch...he picked brisket this time....not my choice. Ive never dealt with brisket before,...but look forward to trying it out.

have to say, I love this forum. the feedback is quick and invaluable as everyone has their own style. ive taken some ideas from multiple users and i will report back once the cook off is done. ill let you guys know how I did: temp/time/ final internal temp/ tenderness/ taste/ and if I won.

as far as what wood i will be using....i decided to go with mesquite chunks (not soaked)

-robert
scruffee81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
scruffee81

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Give me half the point of the brisket and i'll go over to your house and cook it for you on your BGE.

I am a Weber Kettle ninja and I can cook dang near anything on mine, but what separates the BGE from the Weber Kettle is the fuel efficiency and the ability to run at 600+ degrees without damaging itself.
at aawa

just noticed you were in Virginia Beach. Nice. Im in the Princess Anne Area, near what used to be called the "Amphitheatre"

-robert

Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #21
Bludawg

If you stick to your Plan I bet you get whooped because it wont be a who's is betta but with one is not as bad
BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

I would cook at 275 min on your grate use the Plate setter, Since you will not have access to the fire with it in place Start out low like 200-225 for two hrs to get the smoke into it then turn up the wick to 275 Get you a Brown paper sack cut out the bottom and the Glue strip Wrap the brisket in the paper at the 5 th hr after you turn up the heat. It will stay in the paper until you are ready to server it. Once it is Probe tender in the Flat remove it to the kitchen counter top now is the time to break out the thermo put the probe in the flat when the temp Drops to 150 slice against the grain and collect your money.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #22
scruffee81

@ blu, if you are referring to my comment about reporting back my final internal temp...that was meant to say that I will let you guys know what it was when I felt it passed the "probe test" I do not plan on using Internal temp as my deciding factor as to when I am done.

question, about using the plate setter, I was thinking plate setter legs up and putting in a large foil drip pan and filling with water for moisture...thoughts?

also, i have seen people cook a brisket in a VRack...thoughts on this?

again I appreciate the advice. i am listening as I know yall have more xp than me

-robert

Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #23
Bludawg

I never saw the advantage of water pans all they really do is damp the heat down and cause you to burn more fuel. You could use a drip pan to to make clean up a snap Be sure to cook FC down until you warp.
It is a Big misconception and against the laws of Physics to think that a water pan will make your meat moist. As the meat takes on heat it draws up and Sweats the water out( Like wringing out a Sponge) of it's self this has to happen for the meat to get moist. Once the water is driven off the the collagen can melt( think of collagen as Glue it is the stuff between the muscle fibers that separate us critters from jelly fish) once melted it is Gelatin, it is this Gelatin that is the moisture we seek.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
scruffee81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Be sure to cook FC down until you warp.
i dont understand this. Cook with FC down? im assuming warp...was wrap.

-robert

Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffee81 View Post
i dont understand this. Cook with FC down? im assuming warp...was wrap.

-robert
Fat cap down he means. And yes, wrap. I will say that I have both a Weber and an Egg and aside from crazy high temps for pizza and searing, they can do the same things. The egg just makes it waaayyyy easier to smoke imo.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
scruffee81

Duh! Thanks

Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
sslak
On the road to being a farker

FC - fat cap

Lookout...Weber is a fine cooker, gonna be the cook that wins not the smoker in my opinion.

BGE has it's advantages...like when it's 5 degrees outside in the winter, those kettles are hard to cook on because they don't hold heat like your egg will.
sslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
bassmaster16
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Can't wait for the results.
bassmaster16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

I cook about one brisket a month on my Large Kamado Joe and here is what I do. I buy a whole packer in the 12 pound range. I trim the hard fat, then I use salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Set that thing on the counter. Go load my KJ with lump ( currently using FOGO ), and light it in one spot. I use 3 nice sized chunks of pecan ( because i like pecan ). I cook mine at 260F until they probe tender. I usually put them on around 11pm and they are ready just before lunch after a rest in the cooler. I dont wrap them until I pull them off the KJ and then I wrap in foil. I cook fat side up. So far this has worked perfectly every time. I cook at 260 because my KJ loves that temp and holds it forever. Held that temp for 16 hours once.

Best of luck!
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #30
scruffee81

ill tell you, the community on this forum is unreal! thanks everyone! ive been trolling through forums all day...work has been slow...and a quick minimize always works when you have some excel spreadsheets to pop up when the boss man walks by. lol

i think i have a great grasp of what NOT to do and what TO DO. hopefully remember to take pics of my process. this will be interesting.

now to find some butcher paper...