MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #16
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

If they got pork butts, and you got a knife...well, it ain't brain surgery, lol
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #17
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs View Post
If they got pork butts, and you got a knife...well, it ain't brain surgery, lol
I think it would be a challenge to cut through the blade bone with a knife

They can be hard to find in the Chicago area, too, and is you do find them, they are thin cut. A lot of places here call them Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks.

As mentioned above, Pork Steaks are more popular in the St. Louis area. A couple of years ago we were heading to Collinsville, IL, near St. Louis for a steak cook off, and they had a pork steak side category. I had never cooked one so I talked to a BBQ friend in that area and he gave me some tips. I had to have them special cut and per the rules they had to be less than 1 1/2" thick, so I told the butcher to set the saw at 1 1/2", and cut two center cut steaks.

I treated them pretty much like ribs, doing a variation on 3-2-1, and they came out great!

We ended up taking first place! Some of the St. Louis rea guys weren't happy that a Chicagoan came down and beat them in their local specialty

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #18
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Easy to get pork steaks anywhere in TX. At your local grocery grab a bone in butt, walk over to the meat counter and ask him to cut into 3/4" to 1" steaks. I have the guys at Tom Thumb do it all the time. They don't even charge me anything.

Enjoy!

Old 07-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #19
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Man, I was just thinking that I need to do up some pork steaks.....It's been a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I treated them pretty much like ribs, doing a variation on 3-2-1, and they came out great!
What did you braise them in Ron L? Just BBQ sauce, or did you do the butter, brown sugar, honey treatment?

Thanks!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #20
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
Needing them cut is why I say they are rare to see. I have never needed to ask to have them cut before Texas, because they were always everywhere. I know that my bro-in-law (from Missoiri) taught someone who was a texas native after saying "this is the best steak I have ever eaten" that he was enjoying a pork steak. It is just weird!!
Yeah, certain cuts across the board have been a little weird throughout the whole covid thing so that is probably part of it. But pork steaks, some times labelled as country style ribs in these parts is not too hard to find. Or at least shouldn't be. But any butcher worth his salt will slice them exactly the way you like.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #21
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

They're common in rural Louisiana. We have a special baste made of onions, mustard, and oil. Pig Stand, Jack Miller's, and Tabasco all make commercial versions of it.

https://karysroux.com/product/pig-stand-bar-b-q-sauce/

https://www.jackmillers.com/product/bar-b-que-sauce/

https://countrystore.tabasco.com/pro...bbq-sauce-16oz

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #22
Learning to BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Well I’m ashamed to say I had to look it up. I’m proud to say I learned something today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_steak
I just learned something too. If only I could find a butt! Does the picnic part apply as well?

UDS, 22" Weber Original kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
Learning to BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #23
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

We only get the thin cut ones....but I find them quite tasty. Cooks easy and fast.

One thing I have found...they/I like a lot of sauce.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:51 PM   #24
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat797 View Post
What did you braise them in Ron L? Just BBQ sauce, or did you do the butter, brown sugar, honey treatment?

Thanks!
Butter, brown sugar and honey, and a little vinegar-based sauce to add some acid.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 AM   #25
gcs
is one Smokin' Farker

Last ones I did, I boned out a butt, used the top sloppy pieces for ground pork and steaked the bottom part...There's more then one way to skin a cat...LOL
gcs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

I lived in St. Louis for three years, and "Pork Steak" was usually Pork Butt sliced into 1" to 1.5" slices, bone and all.

Pork Butt sandwiches were this meat cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and served on white sandwich bread. Almost broke a tooth before I realized they left the bone inside the sandwich. Don't get me started on the Provel Cheese (AKA White Velveeta) on thin crust pizza they are famous for, although I did enjoy Toasted (Fried) Ravioli......
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #27
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I think it would be a challenge to cut through the blade bone with a knife

They can be hard to find in the Chicago area, too, and is you do find them, they are thin cut. A lot of places here call them Pork Shoulder Blade Steaks.

As mentioned above, Pork Steaks are more popular in the St. Louis area. A couple of years ago we were heading to Collinsville, IL, near St. Louis for a steak cook off, and they had a pork steak side category. I had never cooked one so I talked to a BBQ friend in that area and he gave me some tips. I had to have them special cut and per the rules they had to be less than 1 1/2" thick, so I told the butcher to set the saw at 1 1/2", and cut two center cut steaks.

We ended up taking first place! Some of the St. Louis rea guys weren't happy that a Chicagoan came down and beat them in their local specialty

A hack saw or sawzall with a metal cutting blade will get the job done

That pork steak looks money

Old 07-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #28
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I lived in St. Louis for three years, and "Pork Steak" was usually Pork Butt sliced into 1" to 1.5" slices, bone and all.

Pork Butt sandwiches were this meat cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and served on white sandwich bread. Almost broke a tooth before I realized they left the bone inside the sandwich. Don't get me started on the Provel Cheese (AKA White Velveeta) on thin crust pizza they are famous for, although I did enjoy Toasted (Fried) Ravioli......
I have never lived in St Louis or had a pork steak from there. I was in central MO and one of my favorite BBQ places around did a pork steak sandwich. I liked it enough to order it a few times.

I like provolone on pizza as much as mozzerella or provolone. Imo's is still a popular chain I enjoy. I was told by my inlaws here (lived here 5 or 6 years) that there is a place close that makes St louis style pizzas, owned by a previous St Louian. I also like toasted ravioli and absolutely like Gooey Butter Cake!!

Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #29
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

How about Snoots ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksd...1-dd4b245bc19d

“ST. LOUIS — Toasted raviolis. Provel cheese. Gooey butter cake. We all know these classic St. Louis foods, but did you know the Gateway to the West also is known for… pig snoot?

“We are internationally known for our snoot,” Earline Walker told the Abby Eats St. Louis producer in the lobby of her barbecue restaurant, Smoki O’s. “It’s amazing.” “

Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #30
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
How about Snoots ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ksd...1-dd4b245bc19d

“ST. LOUIS — Toasted raviolis. Provel cheese. Gooey butter cake. We all know these classic St. Louis foods, but did you know the Gateway to the West also is known for… pig snoot?

“We are internationally known for our snoot,” Earline Walker told the Abby Eats St. Louis producer in the lobby of her barbecue restaurant, Smoki O’s. “It’s amazing.” “
I had never heard about it. Now I am going to have to plan a trip to Smoki O's to check it out! I didnt know I was missing out on a Mizzory classic dish!