Tips, Tricks, and Cooking Hacks...

I also saw a comment about it not mattering if it's in the grease or on top of a cooking rack/cooling rack, since you "fry bacon in the grease anyway", and I'll have to slightly disagree (with foil, anyway). The texture is for sure different, even if barely, from having it elevated on a cookie rack to having flat it in the grease. Try it out if you haven't. I would say, though, that the biggest difference between the two methods is that with a rack: now you have to clean up a rack. :doh:
I use stainless steel racks and run them through the dishwasher - fits vertically on the lower rack on the left side perfectly in my Kitchenaid. Comes out clean every time. Although lately I've been putting the bacon on the cooling racks and cooking it on the pellet grill without the cookie sheet. Keeps the house from smelling like bacon for the next 2 days. I know, I know, who doesn't want their house to smell like bacon? Me. For whatever reason food smells linger in our house forever to the point that it makes us nauseated.

For cheese-sake, please fold the corners on sliced cheese before placing on burgers!

Keeps the grates clean and the cheeseburger is mo betta!
I have to laugh - I thought I was the only one that was annoyed by this. I've been using a pastry dough cutter to make the cheese round and the same size as the burger: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013VTTKDO
Wife just rolls her eyes at me.

When freezing bread, put pieces of parchment between any slices or portions you want to easily get out of the freezer.

We do this for "no knead" loaves which I cook 3-5 at a time and put in the freezer. Put parchment every 1/4 loaf or so. Pull that section out when the previous section is consumed. Works great. No pulling pieces of frozen bread apart.

Last edited:
Old Boy Scout trick is to rub a cotton ball with a little bit of petroleum Jelly and use as a fire starter, I guess you can also use a corn chip as a starter they will burn for awhile.

I'm back!

I always seem to get a lot of stuff on clothes when I cook (sauce splatters, grease, etc).

Here are two tips I've learned:

1. If you have a favorite shirt or shorts that you like to cook in (a comp team shirt for instance), go the hardware store and buy a spray can of Scotch Guard. Hang your clothes outside and apply per directions on the can. Let Dry. Stains come right out.
2. If you get grease on your clothes (the ones without Scotch Guard), spray them with Goo-Gone and then wash as usual. The Goo Gone will not hurt anything and almost always gets the grease out.

David

Here's one that may be obvious to some, but I only learned it a few years ago when packing food for a fishing trip:

When making sandwiches, mayo and mustard create a barrier that protects the bread from moisture. You can make sandwiches last even longer without getting soggy by putting any wet ingredients (tomatoes, pickles, peppers) in the middle between the meat and cheese.

Example -> [Bread/Mayo/Ham/Pickles/Cheese/Mustard/Bread]

They'll last all day in the cooler without getting soggy.

One type is a pitcher that has the inlet for the spout at the bottom, so all the grease that floats to the top just stays there. Very handy.

picture.php

I have one similar to that. I seen one that has a trigger that opens a filtered hole in the bottom that seems like it would do a great job seperating the stock from the fat. I have yet to buy one though.

Spray the hinge area of your spring tongs with Pam to lubricate and help prevent the rivet from rusting. I can't stand squeaky tongs, but I still annoy everyone by clacking them 3 times every time I pick them up.

I had some tips on stuff that I do that I wanted to share. I cant remember them now. . . Stupid night-shift. . . .

- G

If you like to use stainless steel skillets but have trouble with stuff sticking, add some white vinegar, heat til it evaporates, it will remain non stick for some time believe it or not

That's one I've never heard of. And apparently neither has Google.
Where did you learn that trick?

Wear gloves when slicing jalapenos or other hot peppers. You may think you'll wash your hands before you wander to the bathroom and you may even intend to, but that one time you don't those gloves are going to save your (love) life.

A lot of times using stock or broth instead of water to boil food will add flavor to the food.

Wear gloves when slicing jalapenos or other hot peppers. You may think you'll wash your hands before you wander to the bathroom and you may even intend to, but that one time you don't those gloves are going to save your (love) life.

A lot of times using stock or broth instead of water to boil food will add flavor to the food.

I second this. One time I was chopping up a bunch of serranos and chili tepins for a sauce. I forgot to wash my hands and went to take a #1. My crotch was burning for like 4 hours!

When cooking seafood, use anchovies instead of salt. It adds a briny salt flavor, but your guests will never taste fish.

I like to use a MAP gas (yellow bottle) torch to start my fires. Makes real quick work of it.

Attachments

• 3-propane-vs-map.jpg
    3-propane-vs-map.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 289
Do to their "floppy" nature, moving a spatchcocked and brined chicken without disturbing the rub is next to impossible. Placing the chicken on an aluminum pizza peel before adding the rub allows positioning the chicken on the smoker with the rub coating intact.

Be sure to sanitize the peel after using with raw chicken.

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 257
  • chicken 3.jpg
    chicken 3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 256
New trick: We always buy a honey baked ham for Thanksgiving. While I ejoy smoking them, the Wife.com grew up with HBH and considers it an essential part of the holiday. I'm all good. After the holiday, we break it down and vacuum seal the leftovers. We save the hambone for Mrs. Spectator's Ultimate Read Beans. This year I had the bright idea of putting the HBH juices in a ziplock, squeezing the air out, and then putting the ziplock in the vac bag with the ham bone. Now we'll have extra flavor when we make the beans!

David

Old Italian Grandma Trick:

When cooking fish, put 1-2 cups of white vinegar in a bowl. Give the fillets a quick swish in the vinegar and than rinse with cold water. The vinegar removes any fish oils on the surface and makes the fish taste "fresher".

Try this. It really works well.

David

Back