MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is the preferred type of dry rub you use most of the time?
An original homemade rub 43 35.54%
A commercially sold rub 43 35.54%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe followed "to the letter" 3 2.48%
A commercially sold rub that I like to "doctor up" 8 6.61%
A BBQ cookbook rub recipe that I like to "doctor up" 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

It's not that I haven't tried any commercial rubs. I have, but I much prefer to grind my own. So quick and simple, why wouldn't you?

I use a $15 Mr. Coffee - coffee bean grinder, and I buy whole spices. When it's time to make a rub, I grind what I need at the consistency I want.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
EricF
Knows what a fatty is.

Like so many other posts here I do both. I have slowly over a few years come up with a pork rub my family and I really like. I have tried several commercial pork rubs but to be honest I like my pork rub. My beef rub is not as developed yet, and I have found that I really like a particular commercial rub for brisket. Which is probably why my beef rub is not very developed.

In regards to sauce I make my own. Although I have tried the Blues Hog line, and that is a good sauce. It's just I don't know of a local supplier of Blues Hog thus if I want it I have to order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #18
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Okay, if you were to find already cooked BBQ that you thought was awesome, would you sell your smokers and stop cooking?

Making rubs is part of the cooking process, IMO. Sure, I like trying commercial rubs, but I cannot see myself ever giving up on spending that 20 minutes tops to mix up a rub.

That's like buying a chili mix, or a jar of sauce, and saying, "that's good enough for me."

Again, I have nothing against commercial rubs, but there is something intrinsically fun about making something yourself. If not, we would all just eat out.

It is not an either-or thing, IMO. If you only make your own rubs, you are probably missing some good flavors. If you only use commercial rubs, you ain't a cook. That may piss some people off, but IMO, good cooking is a journey -- no, it's an adventure -- it's certainly not a destination.

CD
My sentiments exactly

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 AM   #19
landarc

If what I am cooking requires something pretty simple, I will make up a quick rub with fresh ground ingredients. If I am doing a cook that requires very specialized flavor profiles, I also make up my own blends. But, there are many cooks where I just want to have a good proven flavor profile, I will use commercial rubs, I have many rubs, but, especially those which offer a sweet/spicy or Santa Maria profile that I can choose from.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 04:54 AM   #20
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedyma View Post
Okay, I'm going to bite on this one.

What about using "commercial meat?" Are you not a cook if you don't raise your own pigs? Heck go one step up and say are you not a cook because you don't butcher your own pigs? Why don't you do this, because you want to save time. etc....

Your statement was pretty bold and I do take offense to it. Sorry but I do. etc

I also agree with your last statement, cooking is a journey and we all chose our own path to follow. Just because we choose a different route doen't mean we aren't hikers.
Sorry Mate, you're drawing a very long bow on that one. In this day and age, we can't all have a farm and a market garden in our backyards... that is if we all even have a backyard. You don't see BBQ restaurants with their own dedicated Hog farm out the back although they may buy from a selected farm or supplier.

It is possible though, to buy bulk spices at good prices without having to grow them yourself amongst your pansies, and without having to move the car out of the shed to move in the processing equipment.

Casey's on the Money. Making your own rubs is fun, and it does make you a better cook though trial and error. When you're in a pinch, or after a specific flavour profile, you can't beat a commercial rub like Simply Marvelous, even though it's not a commercial rub... more like a boutique rub. A commercial rub, I'd say is more like a McCormacks, Lawries, Zatarians, Tony Catcheres' etc.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
If you only use commercial rubs, you ain't a cook.

CD
wrong.

it's condescending statements such as this that would keep a novice away from trying any type of cooking, not just bbq.

i have made my own rubs with great success. at present, i carefully select the freshest spices in the proper proportions for the product i wish to create: killer bbq. my spices come conveniently mixed, sealed and shipped to me via priority mail from my buddy steph in california.

while i won't disagree with the idea of mixing ones own spices to create a rub is a wonderful part of the process, it is not the ONLY part of the process of making Q. fark up the temp control, choose the wrong wood, over cook, under cook, use a sauce that doesn't compliment the rub or meat, and you could have the best rub in the world and the Q is bad.

but to each his own....

cheers and have fun smoking. scott

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #22
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

^^^ Oh hell...

Look, I've Given CD some serious uphill in my time and you might wanna call him an anal retentive douchebag if you wanna get modded and chucked off the forum even if you've got a gold sparrkly star, but CD is not being condescending as much as you might think.

Nothing wrong with a strong opinion... I think anyone using teflon cookware can't cook... so bite me.

CD is effectively saying a great cook is a great chemist, or alchemist. That mixing of spices and herbs is an essential part of cooking. You can use an off the shelf rub, but you'll learn so much more making your own. All those other components you mention.... wood, temp, sauce are a part of the whole thing, so you can't really disagree with him from the spice and rub persepective.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #23
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
^^^ Oh hell...

Look, I've Given CD some serious uphill in my time and you might wanna call him an anal retentive douchebag if you wanna get modded and chucked off the forum even if you've got a gold sparrkly star, but CD is not being condescending as much as you might think.

Nothing wrong with a strong opinion... I think anyone using teflon cookware can't cook... so bite me.

CD is effectively saying a great cook is a great chemist, or alchemist. That mixing of spices and herbs is an essential part of cooking. You can use an off the shelf rub, but you'll learn so much more making your own. All those other components you mention.... wood, temp, sauce are a part of the whole thing, so you can't really disagree with him from the spice and rub persepective.

Cheers!

Bill
A great cook is a great cook. A great chemist is a great chemist.

Some are both.

I thought the grow your own herbs analogy was spot on. Who determines how far back you take this discussion?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I endorse The Rub Co, Simply Marvelous and Big Rons.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #25
big brother smoke

Aren't some of you touting your horns about making your own rubs getting them from a book. I recall a few threads where that was mentioned. Just Saying

Just because someone does not make their own rubs, they are less of a cook?

This sounds a lot like the stick burner versus pellet pooper argument
Folks are always willing to knock people down a bit to elevate themselves.

And yes cooking is a journey and there are multiple paths