MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
wingpirate
Knows what a fatty is.

If I were in your shoes, as suggested above, I would option the team brand to the other members. I think that this shows good faith on your behalf, because even though you were the primary financier and cook (and equipment purchaser), you are willing to share your brand with them and send them off with something to work with and be proud of.

If these folks have cooked with you for a long time, I don't see feelings getting hurt. One of my teams that cooks only once a year is a veritable revolving door. I've only had to ask people to walk away a few times, and I still maintain a decent relationship with the former members.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I joined an already existing team last season. When I did so, I did so with the agreement that I was not going to be "PB", but an equal member. I've contributed financially all season long, attended a class, etc., and have been part of most all practices, recipe development, etc.

I also joined and while we considered it, we didn't change the name, but kept it as it was before I came along.

I know it's a different circumstance than you're talking about, but a couple questions to consider:

Are/were these your friends before you started competing together? If so, will this affect that friendship?

Have there been difficulties along the way between you and other team members or is this truly just a desire to include family?

If you just want to include family, can you do that and still keep other team members involved? In other words, can you do both? Perhaps you can just tell the team that you want your family involved and they may or may not decide to stay around or not?

Ultimately, it sounds like it's your team, but I know if Jimmy up and told me that I was out, it wouldn't sit well with me. As I said, we're not in the same situation, but I'm a big part of the team.

I'd thik at the minimum, a nice chat would be in order to discuss possibilities?

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Surely there is a tactful and polite way to break the news to them. If they can't understand that......well, they aren't you're friend anyways.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Unless they are causing problems why cut them loose? You are already paying for everything it just seems like you should expand your team IMO. If they have a problem with their responsibilities being cut back thats on them. I wouldn't throw away help unless said help was draining more money than kicking them off the team.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Until someone has a vested interest - you have the final executive decision as CEO, Financier, and Accountant.

Or next year give then a buy-in option, say $750 per person.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Shotgun
Full Fledged Farker

I went thru this when my brother decided to do the family thing and the team understood. It gave me an opportunity to get my own team going and after a couple of years apart, we are now back together and better for it. Just dont beat around the bush and be honest with them. They will understand if they are true friends.
Good One Marshall
WSM
Weber Kettle
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't see how, if you tell them it is because you want to pull in family and make it more of a family thing, that any good friend will have an issue with it. Heck, twas me, I would just tell you to keep my number handy.

As I recall, your team was all about cooking in the service of God anyways, not about the winning (I know we all like to win) so, I gotta believe this is a simple thing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Talk to them about it. Mabey you could come to an understanding where everyone wins. Do some with your family and a couple fun comps with the buddies. Balance is the key! Either way.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
mad mike
Found some matches.

give them the option of buying in to see how interested they really are, if they aren't you may be able to pull the plug without burning a bridge you may need to cross in the future
mad mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like to me you just want to make it a family thing which is understandable considering it's all your equipment, recipes, money etc.. I would just tell them you are starting a new team with just family and they are welcome to form their own using the orginal team name.

However, if these are friends you don't want to lose and you just wish they would contribute to the team, have them pitch in some $ for every comp. that way if you don't win any prize money it's not just you that "donated to the comp". If you do win some money, splitting the $ after all expenses would be the fair thing to do.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Why should the brand owner give up their brand (team name) unless there was some kind of partnership agreement on the part of all parties? It's the OP's team, team members come and go.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Why should the brand owner give up their brand (team name) unless there was some kind of partnership agreement on the part of all parties? It's the OP's team, team members come and go.
I agree, that doesn't make sense to me. If they're true friends, they should understand. Family is family.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
Rick Hamilton
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Honestly, I feel like my other team members are riding my coattails and are contributing zilch, besides taking pics at awards.

Would I be a douche if I simply said "sayonara", and take all my toys, including the logo and team name, and ventured with my wife and kids?
Heck no. You want to hang with your family...that is great and to be applauded. Now, instead of not talking to your teammates about it privately and instead posting a comment about how they are just riding coattails and contributing zilch...for that you are a douche.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #30
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Stole the words from my mouth.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote