MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #46
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
At my one of my brother in laws (who isn't at his house) and we are having Thanksgiving here (some are hosting at a house that isnt ours ). Was doing a Turkeyless thanksgiving with lamb and ham, but another brother in law (this is complicated) is bringing his Charbroil so interested to see it in action.

I've seen it in person at his place, just never live being used. Fried turkey is by far my favorite way to cook the bland bird just so I can eat the skin so interested to see how this compares.

I think the term "Oil-less Fryer" can be misleading to people who love deep fried turkey.

You can inject and prep as you would for deep fried, and apply a coat of peanut oil (or other high temperature oil) before putting into the cooker.

The cooker is an infrared cooker, reflecting and concentrating the infrared energy on to the turkey. It isn't deep fried, but it awesome with great crispy skin all the way around.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #47
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I’m cooking two turkey on my 3 in 1 this year. I usually just cook a breast up top, but this time it is two whole turkeys.

If the turkeys are roughly the same weight any thoughts on time difference? Infrared will radiate the middle better I think due to the cooking chamber, but hot air rises so the top will have that going for it. Just trying to do a little planning here!

Thanks
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #48
HuskerMan
Full Fledged Farker

Can’t seem to get the temp (measured with 12” thermometer) above 225 without the lid on. If I put the lid on it goes up to 275. With the 225 temp I’m concerned the bird (16.8#) may stay in the danger zone to long. But I know your not supposed to cook with lid on whole time.
HuskerMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #49
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerMan View Post
Can’t seem to get the temp (measured with 12” thermometer) above 225 without the lid on. If I put the lid on it goes up to 275. With the 225 temp I’m concerned the bird (16.8#) may stay in the danger zone to long. But I know your not supposed to cook with lid on whole time.
I think you’ve got a propane flow issue. Smack the regulator on the top against something hard. Sometimes the valve inside that regulator stage can get stuck.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #50
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I tested mine earlier with a “full” tank. Would not light. Switched tanks using my gasser and it lit. Thankfully the Acme was opened and they do a swap tank. Feel bad for people in my area. Lost power. We have a house generator so it does not effect me but it will effect a lot of people
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #51
Big George's BBQ

Will be trussing the bird soon and put bags of ice on the breast for about an hour before it goes in TBE around 3 PM. Wind seems to be dying down some
KCBS

Old 11-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #52
Big George's BBQ

Feel bad for the people in my area. Lost power about 2 hrs ago. Thank goodness for whole house generators
KCBS

Old 11-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #53
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

The short story is TBE worked like a champ, too much going on for pics.

I thought I managed to not cook, my BIL was supposed to fry one and my sister planned cook one in a bag in a countertop roaster. Injected and seasoned this thing came out juicy and saved oven space for those wondering.

Well BIL decides last night the oil is too expensive and wants to bake his too. Hell NO, not two baked turkeys so I had to break out the Big Easy.

He showed up a 9:15, turkey already injected, seasoned and marinated all night. I dropped it at 9:30 and by 1:00 it was done to perfection(11.5lbs). I let it rest for 20 minutes and when I sliced the juices just flowed. Even with the breast temp at 177, it was juicy. The thighs probed at 187 but the pop up indicator he left in never popped. So throw those away!!!

I didn't intentionally want to cook to that temp, time got away from us cutting wood and shooting squirrels but it worked. This was an "organic" bird without any injection. Maybe that was it? IDK.
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #54
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Well - I screwed up with my 3 and 1 this year big time. I won’t forget this lesson though. Luckily I had two birds on it and the top one turned out PERFECT. But the bottom one in the infra red chamber skin got burnt to a crisp.

I figured out what happened:

1) left it on high the whole time which is crazy hot. Probably 500*
2) with a whole turkey in a pan on top the heat deflected back down to the turkey in the chamber

Good news is I salvaged the vast majority of the meat and the other turkey was perfection so no harm no fowl, but I like to be perfect these days. :)

Old 11-29-2019, 07:59 AM   #55
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Somebody gave me the larger model. It has variable temp controls like a gas grill. Any idea what temp the smaller model gets to?
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #56
BbqScientist
Got Wood.

Not sure whether to start a new thread, figure I'd reply here first. Can anyone explain the differences between all of the Char-Broil infrared cooker models? From what I can gather,

-The 3-in-1 is quite large, has a smoking tray and a lid. Probably designed to be a "main" cooker? Or maybe go with a regular grill

-The big easy is smaller, caters more to turkeys/chickens, can hold maybe two birds?

-The turkey fryer is smallest, will hold one 16lbish bird?

I also see that there have been a couple of changes with the legs. Is there any one model to look out for? I don't need an all-in-one, this will only be used for turkeys/chickens
BbqScientist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #57
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I think the term "Oil-less Fryer" can be misleading to people who love deep fried turkey.

You can inject and prep as you would for deep fried, and apply a coat of peanut oil (or other high temperature oil) before putting into the cooker.

The cooker is an infrared cooker, reflecting and concentrating the infrared energy on to the turkey. It isn't deep fried, but it awesome with great crispy skin all the way around.

I gave up referring to it as an oil-less fryer because it always led to the same stupid conversation with the in laws about where the oil goes. I now just call it the big easy turkey cooker

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #58
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbqScientist View Post
Not sure whether to start a new thread, figure I'd reply here first. Can anyone explain the differences between all of the Char-Broil infrared cooker models? From what I can gather,

-The 3-in-1 is quite large, has a smoking tray and a lid. Probably designed to be a "main" cooker? Or maybe go with a regular grill

-The big easy is smaller, caters more to turkeys/chickens, can hold maybe two birds?

-The turkey fryer is smallest, will hold one 16lbish bird?

I also see that there have been a couple of changes with the legs. Is there any one model to look out for? I don't need an all-in-one, this will only be used for turkeys/chickens

The Big Easy is simply an infrared cooker. Holds a 16 pound turkey, but on my first cook purchased a 24 pound bird before reading instructions. I forced the bird into the basket as if it were a corset, LOL. Cooked just fine, but ever since I have kept with the 16 pound limit. It frees up the oven space and cooks the turkey with little management.

I've cooked turkeys, chicken, capons, pork roasts, and beef roasts in TBE with great results.

The TBE 3-in-1 has a closable top so one can add wood chips to smoke the meat in the same process. It also claims to hold a larger bird.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #59
Big George's BBQ

Time to Bring this out of Storage
KCBS

Old 11-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #60
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Time to Bring this out of Storage

Yes it is George. Just seasoned a new Big Easy. The old one lasted 7 years and made many great chickens and turkeys. The burner finally oxidized and would not work properly. This new one is redesigned. Looking forward to trying it out soon.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Tags
Infrared, oil-less fryer, tbe, Thanksgiving Turkey, The Big Easy, turkey