MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #3016
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Between those 2 I’d also go with the CC. That said with a budget of $1000, I am almost certain I’d select a Grilla Silverbac grill.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #3017
tomasgahan
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Tomas

Help with Mak 1 With Flame Zone
Hi Everyone - I'm new to this forum and pretty excited about. I just bit the bullet and bought a Mak 1 star general, and almost immediately regretted not getting the 2 star because I wanted to be able to sear with it, and not have to fire up charcoal on my Weber performer (circa 2002) every time I want to sear. To quell my buyer's remorse, I bought the flame zone attachment, which came with no installation instructions not so ever. It seemed pretty self explanatory, but I'm not getting much heat on it at all. After 20 minutes, it still reads 325, and I can hold my hand over the grate no problem and no sizzle when I place the meat.

I called mak grills and spoke with a guy and showed him a picture of my set up and he blessed it. His suggestion was to use oak wood from smoky mountain pellets (I had traeger brand pellets in there). I haven't had a chance to try the change in pellets, but it seems strange to me that it could make such a difference. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Thank you!
tomasgahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM   #3018
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasgahan View Post
Help with Mak 1 With Flame Zone

Hi Everyone - I'm new to this forum and pretty excited about. I just bit the bullet and bought a Mak 1 star general, and almost immediately regretted not getting the 2 star because I wanted to be able to sear with it, and not have to fire up charcoal on my Weber performer (circa 2002) every time I want to sear. To quell my buyer's remorse, I bought the flame zone attachment, which came with no installation instructions not so ever. It seemed pretty self explanatory, but I'm not getting much heat on it at all. After 20 minutes, it still reads 325, and I can hold my hand over the grate no problem and no sizzle when I place the meat.

I called mak grills and spoke with a guy and showed him a picture of my set up and he blessed it. His suggestion was to use oak wood from smoky mountain pellets (I had traeger brand pellets in there). I haven't had a chance to try the change in pellets, but it seems strange to me that it could make such a difference. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Thank you!

Your MAK should grill and sear with no problem! My set up is not so much different than yours… I have a MAK and a 26.75 Weber kettle. Absolutely love both of them, but my MAK by far and away gets the most use. That said, for straight up searing power, the kettle will run circles around the MAK.

Any chance you can post the pics… the ones that you sent to MAK?

You mentioned that you had your MAK set to 325°. Personally, I find 425-450° to be the perfect grilling temperature on the MAK‘s. Next time, try grilling at 450° and see what you think.

As far as the pellets that MAK is recommending… you are probably referring to Bear Mountain pellets. I am currently burning through a bunch of Bear Mountain hickory pellets, and have found that I really like them. That said, when I run out of my current supply, I plan on returning to my favorite brand… Cookin’ Pellets.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #3019
TinCup
On the road to being a farker

After more research, I'm really looking at the Rec Tec's. Roughly the same money as an Ironwood 650 with my discount and seem to much better quality.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:30 PM   #3020
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I haven’t touched a RECTEC before but I’ve owned and used several Traegers. They do not feel very sturdy or well made. They work great though.

I went to the opposite end of the spectrum and now own the heaviest pellet grill on the market.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #3021
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Fixing to do a simple overnight pork butt on the Mak. I made a batch of Jeff Phillips bbq rub. It really is an awesome rub and puts a beautiful color on the meat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87E2264C-8403-4FC4-B796-F6807138F779.jpg (116.0 KB, 306 views)

Old 09-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #3022
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

The flavor of the bark is outstanding! Definitely like this rub. Good Blend of sweet, heat, salt, pepper, and savory.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0E9141A5-7912-4339-9A41-BC87C1E3432A.jpg (70.0 KB, 279 views)

Old 09-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #3023
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCup View Post
I'm looking for a little advice. I may be in the market for a new Pellet grill. I have other smokers and grills so I'm just looking to add another to the mix and not really replace anything. I get 40% off from Camp Chef and 25% off from Traeger so I'd like to keep it within those two brands if possible. That said, with a budget of under $1000 if there was something else out there that was light years better I may be interested. I know Traeger has their issues as I'm sure CC does as well but this isn't going to a primary source of cooking.

I'm very happy with the Rec Tec Stampede. I haven't needed customer service but my husband's boss has had his a few years and had a couple of issues which Rec Tec handled very promptly. He raves on the customer service.
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 01:40 AM   #3024
stan5677
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMatt View Post
I'm looking very hard at a Grilla Grills Silverback Alpha. $799, double walled construction, 2 settings for the controller and unbelievable customer service.
I don't think their pid mode is true pid.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
stan5677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 06:27 AM   #3025
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I’m torn on this too. I really want a MAK 2 but I wish it had open flame grilling like the Yoder. The Yoder looks good to me now that they’ve improved their controller. It’s just their rust issues that worry me. Memphis looks good but it’s expensive. The new Twin Eagles pellet looks like it’s the most flexible but it’s very expensive.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #3026
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5677 View Post
I don't think their pid mode is true pid.

What makes you think that?

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #3027
stan5677
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMatt View Post
What makes you think that?
From what I read you have to adjust the feed rate on the controller to get desired results like the p settings on a pit boss. Shouldn't a pid controller eliminate that?

stan5677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #3028
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5677 View Post
From what I read you have to adjust the feed rate on the controller to get desired results like the p settings on a pit boss. Shouldn't a pid controller eliminate that?

I would imagine it's meant to.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #3029
RCAlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RCAlan

Their website states the new Alpha Smoke Dual Controller technology... So from what they are saying, it’s two controllers in one. One setup is a true PID controller for tight temp control, 5 degree temp adjustments and the Classic setup for those who may want a little extra smoke for their bbq. It says nothing about the Enduser manually adjusting feed rates or having to make adjustments.

https://grillagrills.com/pid-controllers/

Now, if there’s any factual info out there that says otherwise, please share. That’s a lot of money to spend if what they are stating is not true.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #3030
Classicrockr
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Rub View Post
I hope it is ok to create this, not sure if there is a thread on pellets yet, but lots of questions lately and be nice to have a place to discuss the grills without having to start a new thread everyday. Lets get it started!!

Had two racks in the fridge I was going to freeze and decided to do some ribs and chicken tonight. Did one rubbed in Oakridge Dominator and one with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. So far so good, they are looking fantastic. Did them in Hickory and Cherry and a few handfuls of mystery pellets I had in a brown bag? Think they were competition blend. Did them at 275 for 5 hours on my Wood Wind. Just some chicken breast and rubbed in some stuff from a local guy here that does hot sauces. It is called Hanks sauce. Good stuff. He is doing rubs now. Will find out in a bit how it is.
What your view of the MAK vs the WW? I almost got the WWSG 24 but changed & ordered a Yoder instead
Classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote